JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had a lot of turnover in management where I work in the last 2 years. The current dictator of an Executive I work for has pretty much driven everyone away, and I'm at the point where I'm done dealing with him. EVERYONE has gone to HR but yet he stays. He is friends with the CEO...

I have 2 offers on the table at other places:

1) Full time gig with non profit, similary salary. Harder job compared to the other one, but people have been working there for decades, low turnover. While I'm a bit burnt out, it's better for my career in the long run. I can carry... :)

2) Contract job with the feds. Similar pay, great benefits but lot's of beauracracy. Less stable, there has been a lot of turmoil there from what I've seen. Doesn't seem to affect my position much though. Far easier job. Can't carry.... :-(

I'm really torn, but I need to move on NOW, the situation where I work has made me really unhappy. I view both jobs as stop gap jobs to an extent. Job #2 would just be until I find something else, it buys me time. Job #1 is rather stressfull, but could turn out to be OK.

Not sure which way to go.

Married with Kids then I would say stability. #1

Single or married with a supportive wife, then I say number 2.

Being burnt out on something can really effect your life outside of work. You're mentally drained everyday and it maybe hard to "turn it off" once you get home. However if you feel you can power through and have a family, it maybe the best thing for them. Also, are you burnt out because of what's going on with your current position? Would a better place to work with more dedicated employees revitalize you?

Honestly Job #2 doesn't sound that great, but it may help you get over being burnt out, and/or it may open other doors. Then again, it may end leaving you without gainful empolyment.

Single, house paid off, money in the bank. I'm burnt out from years of career building. Burnt out on dealing with people. Job #1 involves a lot of deep dealing with people. Job #2 minimizes dealing with people for the most part. I think job #2 will revitalize me more. I'm not a big fan of the .gov beuracracy, which I'm already dealing with, or the fact I can't carry there under penalty of law, but it's closer, and, far less stressful. There may not be much job security there, but I can use the time there to find something else...

On #1, what do the financials look like for the non-profit? Can they remain viable assuming the economy stays the same or gets worse?

On #2, what is the risk of the contract being whacked if the Fed gov "seizes" up financially (either due to no agreement on the budget after May/June) or some other event?

In both of the above, I'm asking questions in the context of cash flow to you.

Peter

You had me at "can carry". :p

The only thing that's worst than doing something you don't like, is working for an a-o of a boss.

I'd try to negotiate a 2-4 weeks off between jobs, to decompress and recharge your batteries, before you take on the new job.

Bottom line is you sell an hour of your life for an agreed upon amount of money every day, so go where the stress is less and wages meet your needs.
Be happy and buy guns!

On #1, what do the financials look like for the non-profit? Can they remain viable assuming the economy stays the same or gets worse?

On #2, what is the risk of the contract being whacked if the Fed gov "seizes" up financially (either due to no agreement on the budget after May/June) or some other event?

In both of the above, I'm asking questions in the context of cash flow to you.

Peter

Non profit financials are great, they will survive BETTER in a down economy even.

Fed contract job COULD get wacked, but unlikely. Even so, I look at the job as something temporary until I find the ideal. The only real downside of this job is the fact that you can't carry and that it's contract. Benefits, salary, workload, commute, are all great.

I discussed this with my gf earlier, and I think we agreed that the fed job was better. I don't view either job as anything long term, because neither is ideal.

That said, the fed job would make a better temporary job since it's a contract job, has less stress, pays better, better benefifts, way shorter commute. Only downside is I can't carry.

The non profit is high pressure, less pay, long commute, people facing work which I dislike. Only plus side I see is long term stability (assuming I don't burn out since they are 3 years behind on projects) and the fact that I can carry legally (against company policy though).

That said, the fed job would make a better temporary job since it's a contract job, has less stress, pays better, better benefifts, way shorter commute. Only downside is I can't carry.

The non profit is high pressure, less pay, long commute, people facing work which I dislike. Only plus side I see is long term stability (assuming I don't burn out since they are 3 years behind on projects) and the fact that I can carry legally (against company policy though).
Between these two descriptions, the gov. job sounds way, way better to me. I can't carry at work now and I like my job, so that isn't an issue to me.

Didn't you just answer your own question right here?

It's just that I can't carry, which bothers me. And that I had to get pocked and prodded and invited the man into my life via a 6 month background investigation of investigators in the field, not just running me through a system for 5 minutes.

Fingerprinting, the whole enchilada. Not even a clearance...

It's a little tough adjusting from private sector, but I'm slowly getting used to it, and looking at it as a temporary thing, until I find something else. I have had it with the palce I'm at now, and I've passed up a lot of other opportunities in the last year or so of looking. This one has work life balance, good compensation and benefits, less stress, and short commute. In return, I'm giving up my ability to carry during the work day, until I find something else, and submitting to invasion of privacy to an extent.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top