JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry a Springfield Loaded on duty for uniform carry, but it has had all the MIM replaced in it, a wide notch Novak installed, and everything smoothed over.

loaded.jpg

For plain clothes, a Commander...with the alloy frame.

lw2.jpg

Alloy frames are made to be carried much, and full house load shot very little. Running reloads or ball thru it will be fine. Just stay away from +P stuff, but enough of it thru so you know your gun is reliable with it.

What's your main use going to be with it? Range? Carry?

Put many rounds thru it a year, or jusy occasional shooting?

I carry a Springfield Loaded on duty for uniform carry, but it has had all the MIM replaced in it, a wide notch Novak installed, and everything smoothed over.

loaded.jpg

For plain clothes, a Commander...with the alloy frame.

lw2.jpg

Alloy frames are made to be carried much, and full house load shot very little. Running reloads or ball thru it will be fine. Just stay away from +P stuff, but enough of it thru so you know your gun is reliable with it.

What's your main use going to be with it? Range? Carry?

Put many rounds thru it a year, or jusy occasional shooting?
Well, in a word... yes. I shoot competition and want to try single stack. Off duty carry for sure.... not on duty because its considered an "exotic" weapon and not allowed. So, range, carry.... all of the above

Off duty with a full size 1911 can cause some concealment problems. We all have the same parts, but yet put together a bit different. So the right holster will be paramount for a full size.

For competition, you'd want a full size...unless you're trying the IDPA thing, then a Commander would work as well.

For concealment for off duty, I would suggest something smaller in the Officers size area.

I know too many choices, but I think you'll have to figure out the main purpose for the gun, then go from there.

If you wanna chat, I left you my number awhile back...give me a call sometime and we can discuss.

I think I have size narrowed down to a 4-5" size. My problem is that I know very little about the manufacturers. I have a rough guest but nothing certain.
Too bad you are way down in Salem. I have a few 4" and 5" you could put a few rounds through.

If you start looking at 4" 1911's I migth suggest the Dan wesson CBOB or the Springfield Armory Loaded Champion...or a Colt Combat Commander. My Dan Wesson is probably my best made 4" but my Colt Commander is my favorite.

I've had a ton of 1911's on the bench. It's the only handgun I own. Been 'smithin' them for over 20 years now.

Have seen the guts of many of the current offerings, am not brand loyal, but am partial to older Colts (pre-80 series) because of their overall quality.

I'll pick reliability over looks any day. The paint may be fancy, and the chrome mighty inviting, but it's whats under the hood that counts.

I've had a ton of 1911's on the bench. It's the only handgun I own. Been 'smithin' them for over 20 years now.

Have seen the guts of many of the current offerings, am not brand loyal, but am partial to older Colts (pre-80 series) because of their overall quality.

I'll pick reliability over looks any day. The paint may be fancy, and the chrome mighty inviting, but it's whats under the hood that counts.
Agreed... so, you said pre 80's... so, what about new models?

Too bad you are way down in Salem. I have a few 4" and 5" you could put a few rounds through.

If you start looking at 4" 1911's I migth suggest the Dan wesson CBOB or the Springfield Armory Loaded Champion...or a Colt Combat Commander. My Dan Wesson is probably my best made 4" but my Colt Commander is my favorite.
Appreciate the offer... I might take you up on that offer sometime.... :s0155:

Scratch what I just said about getting a new series 70, I just looked it up, and the newer colt reintroductions are more of series 70 clones in an aesthetic way, while lacking the firing pin block, they aren't exactly the same as a series 70.

Colt's reintroduced Series 70, is in some ways better than the original.

Check out this article by a friend of mine, he mods over on 1911forum.com, and lives outside the Seattle area.

http://www.m1911.org/full_prodtest.htm

Look under "Firearms Reviews" for the new Series 70, and click on it.

Series 70 is a Colt Model designation for their Government Model after 1969-70, and nothing more. The Series 80 introduced the firing pin safety into the Colt models, around 1983 or so.

The new models you name from Colt are good choices, just stay away from the new Combat Elites, as they are having some QC problems.

I'll be getting the new rail gun and Combat Gov models from Colt soon for T&E...but that will awhile before I get those tests completed.

I know of some Colts for sale, PM me for details....or call sometime.
Or just scour the forums here and else where, as well as Gunbroker and Guns America.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top