JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i will be starting a new position come the 26th. It is a driving position. To Pendeleton and back M-F.

My current get home bag is a Kelty Redwing 50. Stuffed full with just about everything needed to practically bug out if home isn't an option. Clothes, shelter, food, you name it I probably have it in this pack.

I'm looking to get some advice from those on the road a lot.

Is a duffle a better choice? I really don't want to haul my existing pack pack and forth everyday. However I do want a good supply of stuff to get through they day as well as emergency supplies to get my arse home.

I need to carry daily items in this new pack as well as get me home or stuck in the road stuff. Things like snacks, water, radio, etc.

Looking to hear out what others have as well as some practical items that are more for a on the road type workday that I may not be thinking about.

Thanks!

Reno911

Re packs, I dont see a duffle being a good traveling companion, if you're needing to hoof it a long way. Perhaps a duffle, combined with a load-bearing backpack or 3-day pack. If needed, transfer essentials from the duffle to the pack if you need to abandon the vehicle.

I won't address weapons-selection, as I'm assuming you wouldn't be here if that weren't already a considered element.
I also travel, by road, a lot. Besides the "basics" (food, some type of shelter device, warmth, and first aid), I've found it comforting to have:
-Quality hiking boots and wool socks. Moleskin for the inevitable 20-mile blisters.
-camo netting, if you need to "disappear" or go-to-ground
-Decent binoculars
-some type of flotation device (air mattress, inner tube, etc) if you might need to cross a bridgeless river. Not for you, but to keep essential gear dry.
-a quality filter straw. You can't carry enough water for more than a day or so. I like Sawyer products, but there are several brands.
-a good topo map and compass so you can navigate home. Pen and paper so you can mark the map, or leave notes if necessary.

I'm sure others will add to the list.

Last Edited:
I am of the opinion that having a back pack makes the most sense, I carry a Kelty Red Cloud backpack daily, weather it's a five mile run to the store or a thousand to Dallas! Every thing I need and then some is in that bag. Food for daily consumption is is a small soft cooler with drinks and a small stash of supplies for a day or two! I don't drive for a living like you do, but I would probably have the same set up if I did! JMHO

Thanks for the replies all.

I like the idea of a duffle or something like a range bag because it can lie open on the passenger seat for quick access to daily items.

Thanks for the link to the Swiss gear. They look like they make quite a bit of different options.

I do like the idea of a back pack and a small duffle. However I really don't want to have to switch pack and forth between work and my vehicle with multiple bags.

Ideally I need something big enough to carry a bivy, filter, extra warm clothes, few freeze dried foods, misc smaller stuff, that can also hold daily items like a coffee carafe, sandwich or lunch, tissue, etc.

Found a couple on Amazon as well as a few by a company called Maxpedition. That are duffle bags that have pack back straps hidden so as to carry it if needed.

They look a little big, so I may just buy one off Amazon and see if it is a good size or not.

Anyone have experience with Maxpedition fear?

I use a Maxpedition Fat Boy (I think it's called) for my quick deployment/all-day gear. the main compartment handles a small hygiene kit and has room for lunch.

maxpedition.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads