JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had an old Bulldog .44 and it was great.

The recoil isn't an issue, my right thumb locks up so releasing a safety can be hit or miss. I've had some cortisone shots in my fingers and they're much more nimble than they were.
It looks like there's a few XD or maybe XDM models that might suit my want list. Anybody have any experience with them? I'm not very used to striker fired pistols.

Then I would go 9mm M&P C9mpact without the safety, or an XD9 Service model. The XD has a very light trigger compared to most Glocks - every one i have had was around 4.5 to 5 lbs. The triggers are spongy but workable. The M&P 2 compact has a decent 6lb trigger. I feel your pain about the joint issue - literally. I have nerve damage in my hands and my thumbs and pinky fingers especially don't always cooperate. Lots of pain in them. I occasionally loose grip on tools or items when my hand spasms and opens uncontrollably. Never done it with a firearm yet but I have dropped expensive fly rods more than I like, plus all sorts of tools. Small diameter objects are the worst for causing pain.

Sorry, but I can't get used to Glocks. I've had several and they've been good guns, but I just don't shoot them very well. Maybe it's the grip angle, maybe not or maybe it's just me, so no Glocks for me.

From what the OP was saying it might be better for stated needs to look at the Springfield XD line up. I can vouch that the XDm has a similar manual of arms to the classic 1911 [of which I am a fanoldman]. The S&W M&P line up is also quite impressive as well. Happy hunting to the OP and since OP wants .45acp OP can find a platform for your needs that you can shoot. Sig p220 is also worth a look.

I'm like you and have fairly small hands. Even a Glock 30S was too much of a reach for me so I sold it. I have the new Performance Center Shield .45 now and love it. That said, the M&P .45 Compact is a great pistol that I've shot and liked. If you really want something approaching a 1911, I'd advise you to get the .45 Compact and put the APEX Tactical trigger in it. I have one on my Glock 19 and it's amazing and I had on on my full-size M&P .45 years ago before I sold it to go to something smaller. They're simple to install but really turn the M&P into a remarkably good feeling carry pistol.

Ive always had an eye for the XDS in 45 and the Glock 30.. But Ive never pulled the trigger on either since I don't shoot much 45 (cost).

The XDS seems like it would make for a fantastic concealed carry pistol.

Ive always had an eye for the XDS in 45 and the Glock 30.. But Ive never pulled the trigger on either since I don't shoot much 45 (cost).

The XDS seems like it would make for a fantastic concealed carry pistol.
XDs .45 is a great pocket gun... but for another half inch in grip length, the Shield .45 not only provides another round, but seems to be a bit softer in the recoiling...

The Shield .45 has been my edc since about May, it's likely not to change... just carry an extra mag or two for the colder weather...

There are two things I will always have a good dog and a good 45. I will never own another 9mm to me it will never be as good as a 45 or even a 40. I don't want to depend on.magic bullets.
IMHO

Sig P220 carry would be a good choice.

Might be worth considering "downgrading" to 9mm to open up your options on size and number of platforms. If you're set on .45ACP it's a fine choice and I won't try to change your mind, but most people I know who have an in depth knowledge of ballistics are comfortable with a 9mm and good ammo (to include the FBI, who is the go to resource on bullets vs. people).

The FBI went back to the 9 for two reasons the first being the lowest power cartridge that could still do the job but was controllable by non shooters and secondly the magazine capacity. I would really like to see some indisputable evidence that the best 9mm round out performs the best 40 or 45 round.

You're certainly not going to find that. There's a million 9mm vs. .45 vs. .40 threads, this doesn't need to be another one. I own a large variety of calibers and I feel comfortable carrying a 9mm. Others might not. Just trying to suggest to someone who suffers from arthritis that 9mm might be "good enough." If it's not, then I'll stick by first comment that a Sig P220 might fit the bill.

Oh, it's definately YOU! o_O

;):D

:)
As I often say, there is no gun that seems to work for everyone. I personally do not own a Glock since I don't like them but, I also tell anyone new to guns that they are one of the best guns for the money made. There is a reason they have such a huge share of the market. Also why I always say before a new person buys find a range with rentals. If you can cheaply try different stuff it's not only a lot of fun, it can save you ending up with a gun you just don't like.

The FBI went back to the 9 for two reasons the first being the lowest power cartridge that could still do the job but was controllable by non shooters and secondly the magazine capacity. I would really like to see some indisputable evidence that the best 9mm round out performs the best 40 or 45 round.

Sadly many LE agencies pick a certain gun, caliber, and load, chosen by people who all too often have no clue. Then they force everyone who works there to use that choice. What works "best"? Almost impossible to prove one way or another now. One thing tech has been great for is a LOT of shooting on tape now. What I see when I watch these is how hard many 2 legged critters are to stop. So damn many nuts, and nuts on drugs running loose now days. You can now easily see shooting where one of these zombies soaks up a scary number of hits and does not want to go down.

There are two things I will always have a good dog and a good 45. I will never own another 9mm to me it will never be as good as a 45 or even a 40. I don't want to depend on.magic bullets.
IMHO
Well you're going to have to use especially magical bullets as most are going too slow to expand.. or use SWC's. Ball sucks.
lol

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top