JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can use some input for a new .45ACP pistol, but I have to explain my needs for it.
I carried a 1911 Commander for many years. I can point shoot one quite accurately and they were my go-to for a long time. However, age, arthritis and muscle memory are taking a toll on me, so I'm looking for a .45 either with a de-cocker or no safety.

I'm not a big guy, so some of the larger .45's are too large for my hands. I'd prefer a lightweight/compact pistol but with decent capacity. The Shield and XDS are nice size and weight, but I'd like more capacity.

So far I'm only seeing the M&P and maybe the XD as possibilities. I've checked FN, but I haven't seen one that might work yet.
I'm also not big on polymer pistols so maybe there's something out there I haven't heard about. If I have to go that way I will, but I prefer steel or alloy.

I went to 9mm a few months back with a new CZ75D PCR and I like it a bunch, but after carrying a .45 for so long I feel under gunned especially with Winter and heavy clothing season coming up.

I may be searching for a unicorn, but I hope this helps.

Thanks,

GOG :)

Nothing will feel as nice as a 1911 trigger. You need to go to a gun shop and handle pistols until one gives you the feel you desire [Or at least comes as close as possible]. The bonded 9mm ammo works more than fine and You wouldn't need to under gunned running it. How many people you been shooting?

I have a few classic 1911's in ACP; Found the M&P to be no problem.
The compact model accepts (std 8-10 round mags), also hi-cap mags for the full size if you need the extra peace of mind. They just stick out the bottom a ways - wouldn't be for concealed carry that way, but keep a couple std. size on hand and a couple larger/longer ones nearby.
This is probably as close as you'll find in compact / hi-cap in 45 requirements. That said, I have mild arthritis and never found operating a 1911 safety to be an issue, oh well...

M&P .45 Compact. Its same size as your 1911 but lighter. Get it with or without a 1911 style safety. I actually prefer with - as it makes a perfect thumb shelf for my grip.

If arthritis is causing pain from a 1911 I would not go to a double action auto with decocker - stiffer trigger and tge decockers require more force than a safety lever.

I would look toward the 9x19. Heck Ruger makes a decent 9mm 1911 now. Same system you are used to but softer shooting. Otherwise look at the m&p 9 compacts the Walther PPQ or the new CZ P10C.

Nothing will feel as nice as a 1911 trigger. You need to go to a gun shop and handle pistols until one gives you the feel you desire [Or at least comes as close as possible]. The bonded 9mm ammo works more than fine and You wouldn't need to under gunned running it. How many people you been shooting?

None.

Yet. ;)

Thanks for the input so far. I'll also take a closer look at the M&P compact.

It won't fix your desire for more capacity, but maybe take a look at a SIG P220. The shooting dynamics aren't too different from a 1911. It's still single stack, but there are factory 10-round mags you can carry as a back-up. If the DA pull is too much, I'd bet there are alternate mainsprings you can swap out to drop a couple pounds of pull weight.

Don't ignore the reality that 'smaller/lighter' in a 45 caliber WILL generate recoil that has to go somewhere......

I was distressed to learn the lesson all too well on my nifty G36 that was otherwise what I needed. Problem was recoil/follow up shots/accuracy for me were simply unacceptable in such a package.

Those 'Officer sized' and smaller 1911 style are not my friend either.

Look to the new 9mm ballistics to become surprised at what such a package really has to offer now as compared to say, 30 years ago.

Take a look at Sig and their decocker system as they likely have models that will fit your hand, as well as being reliable, accurate and work great.

My newest discovery that is a delight to shoot is Colt Competition, full frame 1911, in 9mm. Satisfies in appearance of 1911, accuracy desired, more economy. I enjoy magnum rifles and handguns but this newest 9mm in 1911 is great. Tried a CZ PO 9, not happy. Tried a Smith semi auto and moved on. Carry Smith M&P Compact in 9mm for self protection. Would carry 1911 except for size. WIN_20170909_180739.JPG

I can use some input for a new .45ACP pistol, but I have to explain my needs for it.
I carried a 1911 Commander for many years. I can point shoot one quite accurately and they were my go-to for a long time. However, age, arthritis and muscle memory are taking a toll on me, so I'm looking for a .45 either with a de-cocker or no safety.

I'm not a big guy, so some of the larger .45's are too large for my hands. I'd prefer a lightweight/compact pistol but with decent capacity. The Shield and XDS are nice size and weight, but I'd like more capacity.

So far I'm only seeing the M&P and maybe the XD as possibilities. I've checked FN, but I haven't seen one that might work yet.
I'm also not big on polymer pistols so maybe there's something out there I haven't heard about. If I have to go that way I will, but I prefer steel or alloy.

I went to 9mm a few months back with a new CZ75D PCR and I like it a bunch, but after carrying a .45 for so long I feel under gunned especially with Winter and heavy clothing season coming up.

I may be searching for a unicorn, but I hope this helps.

Thanks,

GOG :)
I'm a diehard 1911 guy and will carry one occasionally. For everyday carry though I have Kahr CW45. Easy shooting gun, easy to carry an no external safety. It also takes standard 1911 magazines. No need to give up 45ACP.

I Shoot 1911's in competition. Love the crisp single action trigger. For
carry I prefer a striker fired pistol. :confused: I have owned Glocks, XDM, M9,
I like the M&P's for ergonomics and accuracy. Just bought a M&P 45
2.0. Love the way it shoots. Recoil is pretty soft compared to the pistol's weight.
I prefer the manual safety. I feel a little better stuffing it in my holster
with the safety on.;)

As mentioned above, I'm a big 1911 guy but with age, carrying got to be a pain. My 1911s are paper punchers now.

My fav carry pieces the last couple years are both M&P either a Compact 45 or Compact 40, holding 10 rounds STD, that I picked up a 357 Sig barrel for an extra $120 - uses the same factory 40 S&W mags. With two (smallish) spares, I have 30 rounds. This model is smaller/lighter than the acp. Push come to shove I'd take 30x 357Sig in 3 mags over 24 acp any time in a defense scenario.

Having carried 45 cap for maybe 20 yrs. I feel very secure with 30-357Sig rounds in a small, controllable package.

BTW, the Compact 40 M&P also accepts the full size mags at 15 or 19 with an extension in the 40/357Sig version. I'm sold on the M&P. p.s. there are trigger parts for the original v1 models or a newer 2.0 model with a decent trigger.

Last Edited:
@akoperator47, never shot any type of bow.

Thanks everyone for the info, I'll do some studying.
Ok I was curious so I can give you a little help. If you hold a bow incorrectly you can get your forearm torn up by the string.

Basically don't have your elbow like you are swinging a hammer. Try it like you are doing a field sobriety test. Your elbows will bend inwardly instead of upwards. It takes a little bit to get used to but helps a lot with recoil. I taught my dad that and he's going on 74. If you need me to snap a picture I will.

I had an old Bulldog .44 and it was great.

The recoil isn't an issue, my right thumb locks up so releasing a safety can be hit or miss. I've had some cortisone shots in my fingers and they're much more nimble than they were.
It looks like there's a few XD or maybe XDM models that might suit my want list. Anybody have any experience with them? I'm not very used to striker fired pistols.

I had an old Bulldog .44 and it was great.

The recoil isn't an issue, my right thumb locks up so releasing a safety can be hit or miss. I've had some cortisone shots in my fingers and they're much more nimble than they were.
It looks like there's a few XD or maybe XDM models that might suit my want list. Anybody have any experience with them? I'm not very used to striker fired pistols.
They are pretty good. Will remind you in ways of a 1911. The new grip zone feels pretty good. I like Sig so I carry a P250. The fiber optic front sight is nice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top