JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well you're going to have to use especially magical bullets as most are going too slow to expand.. or use SWC's. Ball sucks.
lol
I use 185gr +p 45acp ammo never had a problem with expansion. Everyone compares the relatively light weight 115 9mm to the heavy 45 230 slug. Try doing the 9mm 147 to a 45 230 or 115 9mm to a 185 45 to get real results

I am sick of the whole stupid 9mm vs 45 acp vs whatever caliber debate. Let me give a quick analogy.

I take a 12oz hammer, heat it up and smash your hand as hard as I can. Then take a 20oz hammer, heat it up and smash your other hand as hard as I can. Do you think you can tell the difference?

I bet you that your body says holy cow that $he!t hurts. You want to solve the problem? Use a rifle! Personally I say choose whatever you are comfortable with carrying and shooting.

If you are not comfortable then you won't carry. I rather you carry a 22 or 25 then not at all.

I am sick of the whole stupid 9mm vs 45 acp vs whatever caliber debate. Let me give a quick analogy.

I take a 12oz hammer, heat it up and smash your hand as hard as I can. Then take a 20oz hammer, heat it up and smash your other hand as hard as I can. Do you think you can tell the difference?

I bet you that your body says holy cow that $he!t hurts. You want to solve the problem? Use a rifle! Personally I say choose whatever you are comfortable with carrying and shooting.

If you are not comfortable then you won't carry. I rather you carry a 22 or 25 then not at all.
The FBI uses 18oz hammers so they are obviously best.

I can use some input for a new .45ACP pistol, but I have to explain my needs for it.
I carried a 1911 Commander for many years. I can point shoot one quite accurately and they were my go-to for a long time. However, age, arthritis and muscle memory are taking a toll on me, so I'm looking for a .45 either with a de-cocker or no safety.

I'm not a big guy, so some of the larger .45's are too large for my hands. I'd prefer a lightweight/compact pistol but with decent capacity. The Shield and XDS are nice size and weight, but I'd like more capacity.

So far I'm only seeing the M&P and maybe the XD as possibilities. I've checked FN, but I haven't seen one that might work yet.
I'm also not big on polymer pistols so maybe there's something out there I haven't heard about. If I have to go that way I will, but I prefer steel or alloy.

I went to 9mm a few months back with a new CZ75D PCR and I like it a bunch, but after carrying a .45 for so long I feel under gunned especially with Winter and heavy clothing season coming up.

I may be searching for a unicorn, but I hope this helps.

Thanks,

GOG :)

9 mm ammo has really come a long way. And if you're having arthritis problems, it might really be the way to go. And if arthritis is a problem, you probably want to stay away from the sub compacts...especially in 45. The recoil from them can be pretty tough.

If you want something with a decocker, the Sig P220 or P227 could be the way to go.

If you decide you can deal with plastic, the new M&P 2.0's are a lot of gun for the money. I THINK the new 2.0 45 is out but if it's not, it shouldn't be too much longer. In the 1.0 version of the M&P 45 they had two sizes...a 4.5" barrel and a 4". The 4" was a very nice size for carrying...assuming they release a 2.0 version of it. But you could even look for a 1.0 version and drop an Apex trigger into it. There's been lots of good deals on the 1.0's and a 1.0 with an Apex in it is a nicer trigger Than the new 2.0's. Just a thought.

I can use some input for a new .45ACP pistol, but I have to explain my needs for it.
I carried a 1911 Commander for many years. I can point shoot one quite accurately and they were my go-to for a long time. However, age, arthritis and muscle memory are taking a toll on me, so I'm looking for a .45 either with a de-cocker or no safety.

I'm not a big guy, so some of the larger .45's are too large for my hands. I'd prefer a lightweight/compact pistol but with decent capacity. The Shield and XDS are nice size and weight, but I'd like more capacity.

So far I'm only seeing the M&P and maybe the XD as possibilities. I've checked FN, but I haven't seen one that might work yet.
I'm also not big on polymer pistols so maybe there's something out there I haven't heard about. If I have to go that way I will, but I prefer steel or alloy.

I went to 9mm a few months back with a new CZ75D PCR and I like it a bunch, but after carrying a .45 for so long I feel under gunned especially with Winter and heavy clothing season coming up.

I may be searching for a unicorn, but I hope this helps.

Thanks,

GOG :)
Check out the Sig-Saur line. I don't know what they have in 45, but I have found their hand guns seem to fit a wider variety of people than other brands.

How about a S&W Shield in .45ACP. I have one as a primary concealed carry weapon and it goes bang every time i pull the trigger. I am over 70 with some arthritis in my hands and i can control the recoil on this pistol.

How about a S&W Shield in .45ACP. I have one as a primary concealed carry weapon and it goes bang every time i pull the trigger. I am over 70 with some arthritis in my hands and i can control the recoil on this pistol.
I too have a Shield in .45ACP, but I bought the Performance Center one which is ported. I like it. Its light and the recoil is very manageable.

I too have a Shield in .45ACP, but I bought the Performance Center one which is ported. I like it. Its light and the recoil is very manageable.

I'm in this arena as well, have shifted form a 1911 Combat Commander to the Shield .45, a bit lighter and smaller with nearly the same capacity. Carry 6+1 on-board with 3 7-round recharges...

Since my last post here about the M&P .45 Compact, I've bought myself a new S&W Performance Center Shield in .45 ACP. It comes right out of the box (and it really is a box) with a vastly improved trigger, ported barrel, and the newer more aggressive grip like they're using on the 2.0 M&P. It comes with a six-round and a seven round mag, disappears in an IWB holster, and shoots with amazingly little recoil or barrel flip due to the porting. Maybe the best replacement ever for an Officer or Commander sized 1911. The new PC Shields come with either the reinforced fiber optic sights (steel caging protects the fiber optic elements in your holster while not interfering with their light capture qualities once it's drawn) or night sights, if you want to spend the extra money. Of course, you can still put an APEX kit in it if you want, but the new trigger is good enough I'd argue against it. It's eaten everything I've fed it from really dirty range ammo to a variety of hollow points with out a burp since I took it out of the box. I just put another two hundred rounds through it two days ago. And the price is barely $50 over the regular model. Budsgunshop has the fiber optic sighted version for under $500. I carry it in a Vedder LightTuck or a Galco leather IWB holster, both are amazingly comfortable. Only caution is that you probably should carry it on top of a t-shirt due to the aggressive grip texturing. Otherwise it's hard to find a flaw.

Since my last post here about the M&P .45 Compact, I've bought myself a new S&W Performance Center Shield in .45 ACP. It comes right out of the box (and it really is a box) with a vastly improved trigger, ported barrel, and the newer more aggressive grip like they're using on the 2.0 M&P. It comes with a six-round and a seven round mag, disappears in an IWB holster, and shoots with amazingly little recoil or barrel flip due to the porting. Maybe the best replacement ever for an Officer or Commander sized 1911. The new PC Shields come with either the reinforced fiber optic sights (steel caging protects the fiber optic elements in your holster while not interfering with their light capture qualities once it's drawn) or night sights, if you want to spend the extra money. Of course, you can still put an APEX kit in it if you want, but the new trigger is good enough I'd argue against it. It's eaten everything I've fed it from really dirty range ammo to a variety of hollow points with out a burp since I took it out of the box. I just put another two hundred rounds through it two days ago. And the price is barely $50 over the regular model. Budsgunshop has the fiber optic sighted version for under $500. I carry it in a Vedder LightTuck or a Galco leather IWB holster, both are amazingly comfortable. Only caution is that you probably should carry it on top of a t-shirt due to the aggressive grip texturing. Otherwise it's hard to find a flaw.
Congrats on the Shield. I second the t-shirt idea to protect the sensitive skin from the aggressive grip texturing. And I, like you, have found it a suitable replacement for a commander size 1911z

If you get a Shield in .45ACP i recommend using 185 grain JHP self defense ammo either regular or +P loading. This will give you maximum velocity with the short 3" barrel. I use 185 grain +P Speer Gold Dots in my shield when i carry it.

I'm in the process of trading for a compact Sig 250 in .45ACP. It holds 9+1 and will hold the ten round mag but it sticks out a bit. It's a trade, so I figure it will be worth trying and it's kind of an interesting pistol. And if I don't like it, I'll trade it or sell it. :)

@nammac , I've had several 1911s (Sig C3, Taurus PT1911, Colt Commander, Colt Defender, and a couple of Rock Islands) that I've tried and loved but just couldn't handle them for all day carry. I do still pocket carry a Sig P938 when I'm just running out or can't dress around a larger pistol and like the fact that it's somewhat of a micro-1911, not to mention the fact that it's just amazing in terms of how little recoil it produces and how accurate it is for such a tiny package. That said, though, the Shield sort of does it for me the best so far. Lucky us.

@nammac , I've had several 1911s (Sig C3, Taurus PT1911, Colt Commander, Colt Defender, and a couple of Rock Islands) that I've tried and loved but just couldn't handle them for all day carry. I do still pocket carry a Sig P938 when I'm just running out or can't dress around a larger pistol and like the fact that it's somewhat of a micro-1911, not to mention the fact that it's just amazing in terms of how little recoil it produces and how accurate it is for such a tiny package. That said, though, the Shield sort of does it for me the best so far. Lucky us.
I get the weight thing with a 1911, carried a Combat Commander for about 2 years. Best investments I ever made, a Milt Sparks Nexus holster and a Big Foot gun belt. Made carrying the Commander a breeze... I cannot stress to people enough, don't be afraid to invest in good carry equipment.

The Shield provides nearly as much capacity in a smaller, lighter and easily concealed package. I guess as I'm getting older I'm turning into a wuss...

When I need to go even lighter, it's a Kimber Micro 9...

I traded into a Sig P250 .45 ACP Compact. Capacity is nine plus one and so far it feels great. The slide is pretty clunky, but all in all I'm pleased.
I think it will do the job.

I had the opportunity to try a Walther PPQ in .45. I have mild arthritis in both hands and I have girl hands (fair enough, I'm a female). My carry pistol is usually a 1911. The PPQ has a nice grip and is a sweet shooter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top