JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There is a bill in congress that would allow your carry permit to be treated like a drivers license. If you have one in one state, then it's good in all states.

Here are two articles on the subject.

The first:

FBI Stats Correlate with CCW Popularity, notes Gun Dean

"The idea meets with the approval of the nation's law enforcement command officers," Snyder indicated. "A survey of American chiefs of police and sheriffs conducted by the National Association of Chiefs of Police (NACOP) shows this. Seventy-nine percent think general national recognition of CCW permits issued by a state would facilitate the crime-fighting potential of the professional law enforcement community.

and the second:

Packing Heat: Bill would erase state limits on concealed guns

A new federal legislative proposal would effectively erase those criteria and replace them with the loosest concealed-carry rules in the nation. The National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, co-sponsored by Reps. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., and Heath Schuler, D-N.C., would force each state to accept the concealed-carry laws of all other states.

Police chiefs across the country oppose this alarming proposal, joined by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and groups like Mayors Against Illegal Guns, whose members include Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner and her counterparts in Binghamton, Buffalo, Elbridge, Fabius, Fayetteville, Homer, Manlius, Mexico, Minoa, Phoenix, Sherrill and Tully.

It would also let the Feds usurp state laws. Once they get their foot in the door, they will try to take control. And what if they change their minds and then ban guns?

national registration of gun owners, not the guns. Don't know why the Bradies, et al are against this.

According to what I've read all it does is make your existing state license legal in all other states like a drivers license. No other registration required, no transfer of information to the Feds.

That is what I do not like!

I don't believe it's a National Registration of Gun Owners.

I believe it is just a new "permission" that says, "If you have a concealed permit in one state then it's good in all other states". Just like your current drivers license. It's not a national register.. it just means that if you are traveling across states, and you have an oregon concealed carry permit then you would be legal to carry in the other states that you pass through. I don't believe it gives registry, or issuance or granting permission to the feds.

As was said in the other thread on this issue, this is purely political. This has no chance of passing in the Senate and even if by some miracle it did, Obama would vetoe it. This is the Republicans in the House trying to ginn up support from their base in advance of the 2012 elections. This will go nowhere.

I don't believe it's a National Registration of Gun Owners.

I believe it is just a new "permission" that says, "If you have a concealed permit in one state then it's good in all other states". Just like your current drivers license. It's not a national register.. it just means that if you are traveling across states, and you have an oregon concealed carry permit then you would be legal to carry in the other states that you pass through. I don't believe it gives registry, or issuance or granting permission to the feds.

Suuuurre,right. I'm with F o F here.It will become a registration issue
Nope. If they start acting on a national reciprocity,they will most likely to use any and all info they can get from it.
Having the states in our gun rights is enough,the last thing we want to do is have the Feds do any more than they need to when it has to do with our gun rights

I think this is a double edged sword.Let's just leave this on a state level and let them decide what states' permits they will honor.

As was said in the other thread on this issue, this is purely political. This has no chance of passing in the Senate and even if by some miracle it did, Obama would vetoe it. This is the Republicans in the House trying to ginn up support from their base in advance of the 2012 elections. This will go nowhere.

This is not "the Republicans in the House trying to ginn up support from their base in advance of the 2012 elections".

Rep. Cliff Stearns has submitted the same or similar bill every session for a decade and supported it for sixteen years.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20110302/ARTICLES/110309907

I say again "The only gun laws we need should be to keep gun from felons until or unless their rights are restored" all other gun laws should be abolished, except for no guns in bars if you are drinking.

This is not "the Republicans in the House trying to ginn up support from their base in advance of the 2012 elections".

Rep. Cliff Stearns has submitted the same or similar bill every session for a decade and supported it for sixteen years.

U.S. Rep. Cliff Stearns gives gun bill another shot | Gainesville.com

Sorry, I'm not buying it. I'm willing to accept that Cliff Stearns is sincere, but he's also naive at best. The rest of the supporters of this bill are supporting it primarily for votes knowing it has no chance of passing, but will get them points with their gun owning base prior to the 2012 elections. Call me cynical, but I've seen this charade before.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top