JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
C4D37EC3-3C0D-461C-B2A7-B1740B92D5C1.jpeg 519971C8-A250-43BE-8E4E-11B263A7994D.jpeg The only practical rifles to rebore are something like a small caliber Winchester 1873 with a worn out barrel. On a common bolt like this, you can find a good little used barrel for less than 100.00 on eBay. I just installed one on a very fine M95 Mauser conversion that I have. We bought a great ultralight 7mm Mauser barrel for a large ring Mauser for 50.00, turned the threads down to fit the small ring Mauser, blued and installed it (that normally requires chamber reaming anyway) and off we went. I think my smith charged me 150+50.....200.00 fora like new barrel that shoots great. The thing that attracted me to the M95 is it has the orignal pre 1898 stock that someone spent a hundred hours checkering and the great receiver sight. I bought it knowing the barrel was bad for under 400.00. That century old walnut is incredible. I also have several M91's with similar wood.

Last Edited:
I think you are light by about 1/2 on the value Andy. I would put it + or - 1000.00 I watch this type rifle come and go every day on gun broker and gunsinternational. They are on my daily notification list. So, 800-1200

That may be what they go for on the internet...But in my area , you would be lucky to get $300-$500 for the rifle.
As I said it depends on where you sell the rifle and when...among other things...

I do think that the rifle is indeed beautiful ...and the workmanship appears to be first rate...I have no doubt that $800-$1000 of work went into the rifle...But you wouldn't be able to get that amount where I live...one of the many hazards of custom or high end firearms...
Andy

From the Interwebz...

Charles Newton has often been described as the father of high velocity. As a cartridge designer, Newton was born well ahead of his time in an era lacking in slow burning powders for his large capacity cases. Nevertheless he designed some very potent cartridges as well as patenting several experimental bullet designs. During the period in which Newton was involved in designing the .22 Savage Hi Power, it appears that Newton had doubts about the Hi Power's suitability for the medium game it was intended for. With it's 70 grain bullet at 2790fps these doubts became well justified.

Newton continued to experiment with case design and in the same year (1912) that the Hi Power was released, Newton developed a hotter wildcat. The .22 Newton was based on the .30-06 case shortened by 1/4 inch and necked down to fire a 90 grain .228 caliber bullet at 3100fps. But the wildcat would not satisfy Newton and he immediately had other ideas for a high velocity small bore deer cartridge. The .22 Newton was put on the back burner and received no further attention until his friend, gunsmith Jerry Gebby started to explore its possibilities (see .22-250). Within a year, Newton had developed a cartridge based on the .30-06 necked down to 6.5 (.264") with a 23 degree shoulder. In 1913 Newton released his new cartridge the .256 Newton.

It's a historical piece in a way.
I'd leave it alone.
A lot of the .222's were lost due to punching out to .223, a more "convenient" cartridge for many new owners.

That may be what they go for on the internet...But in my area , you would be lucky to get $300-$500 for the rifle.
As I said it depends on where you sell the rifle and when...among other things...

I do think that the rifle is indeed beautiful ...and the workmanship appears to be first rate...I have no doubt that $800-$1000 of work went into the rifle...But you wouldn't be able to get that amount where I live...one of the many hazards of custom or high end firearms...
Andy
I think you could part the rifle out for 800.00 today. That stock alone would bring 400-500.00 on eBay. My buddy here in Weiser bought 2 custom riflestock manufacturers in California, Calico and American Gunstock's. He has thousands of magnificent blanks. He sells a stock like that for 1500.00 unfinished or fitted. Take a look at custom Mausers on Gunsinternational.

I have and do...I still disagree..Its not what price they are asking...but what price they are selling for...
And I stand by my statement of: Where I live you would be lucky to get $300-$500.

I am not saying that the rifle isn't worth more in workmanship or the components...
But if you sell locally the price you get may be different than what goes on in the internet....
Andy

I think you could part the rifle out for 800.00 today. That stock alone would bring 400-500.00 on eBay. My buddy here in Weiser bought 2 custom riflestock manufacturers in California, Calico and American Gunstock's. He has thousands of magnificent blanks. He sells a stock like that for 1500.00 unfinished or fitted. Take a look at custom Mausers on Gunsinternational.

Its my opinion that on a custom rifle the guy buying it will pay exactly what he can afford if its something he cant live any longer without. Its like kbb of cars. Its not always what it will sell for.

DFF91343-1ADD-497C-A7BF-1CD1306B9947.jpeg
Ive met your friend in wieser. He and his wife had a set up in the garage and did some ahwsome work with wood.
Chris is a great guy. He is finishing the Idaho Potato truck mk2 right now, (he built the first one too) If you call a 40X80 building a garage, he is the guy. He is using a yurt for an office these days. Did you see his 3' Aluminum sculpture of a vertebrae?

Last Edited:
There is a nice looking finished Mauser sporters stock (not a Manlicher or as nice as this one) on eBay right now 950.00 and several not much cheaper. Unfinished blanks are 600.00

I have and do...I still disagree..Its not what price they are asking...but what price they are selling for...
And i stand by my statement of: Where I live you would be lucky to get $300-$500.

I am not saying that the rifle isn't worth more in workmanship or the components...
But if you sell locally the price you get may be different than what goes on in the internet....
Andy
You need to start buying them and reselling them.....you may have discovered a niche market!!!

No thanks...I'll gamble with my life...but not my money. :D

I haven't been that lucky or willing to work that hard to find that right buyer to make any real money at a gun trade or sale...least on my end of the deal.
Andy

Argonaut, I paid less than $300 for this rifle...

F3409734-AF1E-42CA-90F8-E34BF0C59564.jpeg

Things on the local markets are far different than what niche collectors are willing to pay on the internet.

If you could find a market for that rifle on the Internet, who knows, someone may pay $1000 plus. But in the LGS in the PNW, that is just a sporterized Mauser (albeit a beautiful example), and is likely to be on the shelf well south of $1000. That's just the local realities and I've been buying and selling sporterized military guns for a while. Guns international is a great website, but most LGS wouldn't know a JimBob special from a Haenel.

EDIT: Argonaut, I hope your friend in Idaho that bought out Great American is better at business. From my limited emails, it would at least seem the customer service is considerably better...

Last Edited:
Argonaut, I paid less than $300 for this rifle...

View attachment 415152

Things on the local markets are far different than what niche collectors are willing to pay on the internet.

If you could find a market for that rifle on the Internet, who knows, someone may pay $1000 plus. But in the LGS in the PNW, that is just a sporterized Mauser (albeit a beautiful example), and is likely to be on the shelf well south of $1000. That's just the local realities and I've been buying and selling sporterized military guns for a while. Guns international is a great website, but most LGS wouldn't know a JimBob special from a Haenel.

EDIT: Argonaut, I hope your friend in Idaho that bought out Great American is better at business. From my limited emails, it would at least seem the customer service is considerably better...
I just bought a good 4" Python tonight for 1000.00 to. That doesn't effect what it is worth.

Sure it does. To the person you bought it from, at the time you bought it, at the location you bought it, that Python was worth $1000.
Put it online or sell it at another time, maybe it's worth more. Depends on what someone else is willing to pay...

Congratulations. Nice gun.

My comment doesn't change. The fact of the matter is that four hours ago, to that seller, at that location, and to you the buyer, that gun was worth $1000.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top