JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need help to identify the maker of this rifle. I see nothing but k98 on it. 256 newton cal. 20171219_165429.jpg 20171219_165342.jpg 20171219_165349.jpg 20171219_165942.jpg

Custom Mauser
A historical piece, looks like.
If you separate the barreled action from the stock there may be a gunmaker's name to see.

I would guess that it was built in the late 50's to early 60's
The scope and dies look to be of that era.

20igs35.jpg

Last Edited:
98 Mauser Military rifle that has been made into a "sporter"...Nicely done.
As stated above more that likely the work was done in the 50's or 60's...Lots guys did this as a hobby in their garage or basement...might be no telling who actually did the work...
Andy

I'd name it Bill. Or William if you wanna be formal.

Large ring, not a small ring.

Beautiful stock. Unusual caliber. Someone put a lot of love into it. The stock is similar to a stock on one of my sporterized small ring mausers, but it also is unmarked.

Last Edited:
Very nice probably American converted large ring Mauser. They were made by thousands of Smith's mostly after the war. It has a German style Manlicher stock but lacks the common double set triggers and claw scope mounts of a rifle converted in Germany. Many German built guns have very ornate barrels, some with a solid rib built in or 1/2 octagon design. I collect this type rifle and have a dozen or so. They are becoming more appreciated on the market these days and values are rising. The caliber is unusual, you might find a clue to the builder by researching it. Probably some smith liked it and sold the caliber to his clients. It is a lovely rifle to be cherished for the workmanship and care that went into its manufacture. The stock is also more of an American "California" design akin to a Weatherby pattern.

When I hunted in Germany it was often with a little old jager dressed in traditional green wool with a German hunting cap and a warm cape. He carried a Steyr Manlicher under the cape that was invisible until he was ready to use it. It was like it appeared from nowhere, I have been addicted to Manlicher carbines ever since. To me, a Manlicher stock belongs on a carbine, they look a little off on a rifle. This is my go to deer rifle, it is in 6.5X55 with an ultra rare left hand action. F441C825-D2BE-4A71-AE2F-CC65891391F8.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top