JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Switch to 40s&w or stay with 45acp

• XDm 45acp

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • XDm 40s&w

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
.45ACP is one of my favorite cartridges to reload... it's forgiving, it's easy to do, and it has some of the lowest level of headaches...

I'll be honest, I don't look at the .40 as a middle of the road between 9 and 45, I think it recoils more, and is louder than either. I switched over to 9mm about 5 years ago as .45 ammo was starting to get really expensive, and I occasionally take my .45 out, but my 9's have become my go to. I did buy a .40 early on, but was never that impressed with it. It's as heavy as the .45, loud as the 9, and has more recoil than both.

I am not a .40 fan. I like .45s and 9's. If .45 is too expensive to shoot, switch to a 9. If you want power - stick with the .45 and don't fret over a few less rounds in the mag. You will probably never need to shoot a person in anger, if you do, the 14 rounds in your gun will probably be 10 or 12 more than needed anyway. If you need more than that, society has gone to hell, or we're in the zombie apocalypse where a rifle and a sharp blade will be of more utility, your pistol will be a back up, and you still probably won't find yourself running both rifle and pistol dry.

I'd like something with a little more power behind it than 9mm for a full size pistol. I have a Kahr cm9 for my carry gun.
Noted on the 45 tho. Thanks
Your OP had me to believe your main concern was ammo cost and capacity but it looks like power is higher up than capacity, if thats the case there isnt much value in switching to the 40 over +3 rounds when your giving up a tried and true pistol that you shoot the best and love and has never let you down. I'd say if you didnt already have that history then go for it, but since you do theres no reason to learn a new caliber in fact I'd consider buying another of the same 45 as a spare or spending that money on more ammo and mags....

isnt there an old saying: dont fear the guy with many guns, fear the guy with only 1 gun....

Well thanks everyone for the advice. I have decided to keep the 45 I already have, know and love. Thanks again. All your advice was very helpful

1) Statistically speaking, capacity is utterly irrelevant in SD situations, Ferfal's Argentina horror stories notwithstanding.
2) If the cost of ammo poses a serious limitation to your ability to practice, you need to focus on your finances, not your firearms.
3) Flying ashtrays are hard to beat. Why shoot twice?

Ok so I have had my XDm 4.5 45acp for about 3.5 years or so and honesty I love it. It shoots awesome and I have never had a problem with it. That being said I am always thinking of getting rid of it in favor of an Xdm in 40s&w.

Here's my reasoning.
Obviously I like my 45 a lot but for one it's really expensive to shoot. When I first got it 45 was "expesive" at $15 a box and like all ammo it's gone way up.
The other main reason is its capacity. Yes 13 rounds of 45 is a lot of 45 but it's not as much as 16 rounds of 40s&w.

I have contemplated getting a 40s&w as well and having both but with the cheaper ammo and higher capacity as well as being able to convert to and shoot 9mm even cheaper I highly doubt I would ever use my 45 at all.

What are you thoughts out there? Obviously 45acp packs a bigger punch but 40s&w is no slouch. 13 rounds is quite a few but 16 is 3 more.

Thanks for input.

Simple solution; keep your .45 ACP and then buy the .40 S&W anyway. You will be able to compare both guns side by side and now you will own both guns! Win/Win!!!

Hi Beraniumus, I'm in Eugene, just up the road from you, and have an XDm compact .40, if you still want to try shooting one. Drop me a private message or reply here and we could get together.

I'm not finding .40 that much cheaper than .45, if you can get the bulk Federal packs at WalMart on W11th the .45 may even be cheaper. I find the .40 snappier than either .45 I won, but that may be partly due to the compact nature of the gun.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews