Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My XDm 45acp dilemma. Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by beranimus, May 10, 2014.

1. beranimus

beranimus Veneta Active Member

Ok so I have had my XDm 4.5 45acp for about 3.5 years or so and honesty I love it. It shoots awesome and I have never had a problem with it. That being said I am always thinking of getting rid of it in favor of an Xdm in 40s&w.

Here's my reasoning.
    Obviously I like my 45 a lot but for one it's really expensive to shoot. When I first got it 45 was "expesive" at $15 a box and like all ammo it's gone way up.
    The other main reason is its capacity. Yes 13 rounds of 45 is a lot of 45 but it's not as much as 16 rounds of 40s&w.

I have contemplated getting a 40s&w as well and having both but with the cheaper ammo and higher capacity as well as being able to convert to and shoot 9mm even cheaper I highly doubt I would ever use my 45 at all.

What are you thoughts out there? Obviously 45acp packs a bigger punch but 40s&w is no slouch. 13 rounds is quite a few but 16 is 3 more.

Thanks for input.

2. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
    Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

In my opinion the 40 isn't any cheaper to shoot than the .45 or at least not enough to buy another gun just to shoot. You can shoot a lot of .45 for the cost of the .40 XDm. Now if you want it just because you want it then what are you waiting for?

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    "Defender of Freedom" award
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

mjbskwim and orygun like this.
  3. beranimus

Well it was more a sell/trade the 45 for a 40. As for the "what are you waiting for", I'm not sure. I guess myself or someone else to convince me to get rid of the 45acp I like for the 40s&w I don't have much experience with at all.
    At my local bimart I think 45 is about $21 to $22 a box where as 40 is in the $16 range. Yes not a huge difference but a different non the less.

Thanks for the input

4. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

By your own reasoning you should get a Glock 17.

Personally, I would just practice more with your 45.

5. beranimus

I'd like something with a little more power behind it than 9mm for a full size pistol. I have a Kahr cm9 for my carry gun.
    Noted on the 45 tho. Thanks

6. Ttuck

Ttuck Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Have you shot the .40S&W XDm and compared the two pistols? That would be the first thing i would do before switching.

Flopsweat likes this.
  7. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've owned, shot and reloaded the 45 for a long time and have only recently bought a 40. Because of the new caliber I had to go shopping. Double check your 40 prices before you make the switch. I believe it's much closer to $20 for a box of 50 40 S&W than you're thinking.
    I only bought a 40 because I liked the gun it was in. If you are keeping the gun the same and just changing calibers, you're not really going to save money. Besides, because the mag is a little bigger, you'll just end up shooting more and won't save a dime.:D

Peteralexander78 likes this.
  8. whiskey00buck

whiskey00buck Seattle New Member

In the long run, you'd save a ton of money by investing in reloading gear. If your setup is working exceptionally well for you right now, why change it up?

I can understand your concerns about cost and capacity. But whether you go with 45 or 40 you will ultimately save in any caliber by reloading.

BryanMunson and evltwn like this.
  9. beranimus

Good point

10. beranimus

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with am XDm 40.

11. beranimus

It's just the initial cost of getting reloading equipment that's holding me back. I also don't have a lot of time so I wouldn't be able to reload very often.

12. beranimus

It seems like for the most part I should just keep what I already have since it's working great for me. And the little bit of money I may or may not save won't really very much of a difference.

mjbskwim and orygun like this.
  13. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

I would keep the .45,

I was thinking of switching to the .40 a while back, but I realized that it was not a caliber I was used to, and the money I would 'save' would be negligible at best. Also, the magazine capacity is not that big of a deal to me.

Stick with what you know, and what you have.

14. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Borrow or rent a 40 before buying one. The sharp recoil impulse is noticeable, and in my opinion, makes it more difficult to bring the gun back to bear for a second shot. I would MUCH rather deal with the straight back "push" of my Kimber in 45 ACP than the recoil of a 40.

Price of ammo has already been covered by others, but is also a consideration. 40 is not that cheap either. You have indicated you have no interest in reloading. Too bad, as your time at the range will be limited by supply and price.

The other thing you mentioned is the capacity of the respective magazines. Is it simply annoying to change out mags at the range? Or is it the perceived comfort of more rounds for self defense purposes? I would humbly suggest that said comfort would be better derived from practicing (think IDPA ), where you are able to draw and accurately shoot under time constraints from various distances and positions.

Missing a threat (not to mention hitting an untentional target) many times with a big magazine will not prove to be a benefit to you. Being able to put a well placed shot where it needs to be will. I am quite comfortable carrying my 1911 with 8 + 1 as well as 1 spare mag, because I have confidence built by years of practice. Just my opinion.

Flopsweat likes this.
  15. footballplaya98311

footballplaya98311 Bremerton Member

Stick with the 45. There's Nothing wrong with change but if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

Koda likes this.
  16. beranimus

It's more of a perceived comfort of having more rounds. But from what everyone has said it seems as tho I should stick with the 45.

17. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Reloading for .45ACP.

1. quality brass like Remington or CCI will reload as many as 20 times before being no good.
    the garbage can shape of a .45 ACP case makes it very resistant to stretching.

2. 5-6 grains of Powder like Unique will be all you need so out of a Lb of powder you get 1100 to 1400 rounds.

3. Bullets cost virtually the same between .40 and .45

You can make due with a Lee Challenger starter kit cost is about $128.00

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...k-single-stage-press-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding

A set of carbide dies Will run 45.00

Add a vibrating tumbler from Harbor freight and some walnut shell and you have another

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html $56.00 Media will run about 15.00.

$75.00

Primers are the same.

You can invest $225-250 dollars and be reloading

And it doesn't take a lot of time

You punch the primers out while watching TV with a Lee punch and anvil and a small plastic hammer

You throw the brass in the tumbler and let it run over night.

You wash up your brass and let it dry

You size it on the press

You use a Lee Hand Priming tool and watch a Tv show while you prime 200 cases
    You set up your powder measure and scale and the seating die
    You put powder in a case and set a bullet and its done.

You can do it in stages (I recommend the powder bullet setting step be done at the same time for safety)

You might have a total of 3-4 hours spread over a week to load 200 rounds. and you will save yourself half the cost of factory ammo.

evltwn likes this.
  18. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

It seemed the trend was going away from 40 to either 9mm or 45acp.
    Most 40's are on the 9mm frame,making them pretty snappy,where the 45's are usually on a larger frame and don't seem as snappy.Not sure that the XDs aren't the same frame though.
    I have always had a 45 of some kind,usually a 1911.And now I have a second 1 in a XDs 45.It is snappy,but I can still hit pop cans at 45 yards with it.
    So I obviously wouldn't trade a 45 for a 40 or a 9. I got down to 10mm and 45 so I didn't have too many rounds to reload.

19. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

I carry an fnp 45, 14 or 15 +1, capacity and caliber! keep the 45, can't beat them. as far as getting a glock (blech), why would you want a gun "any idiot can use"? The "popular opinion" seems to be that a 9mm "is as good as" with much citing of ballistic gel tests and chest beating over capacity (when really I think it's all about how cheap some folks are). Usually it's the same rocket scientists who think the glock (blech) is the best thing since buttered toast.

I don't think it is likely I will be attacked by anything made of ballistic gelatin, the 45 (or the 40) will impart much more energy than a 9mm, rather than deflecting it is probably more likely to break bone. btw my alternate carry is a P229 in .40.

I sold my last 9mm some years back. Maybe it was the difference between "pew pew pew" and "KERBANG"?

reload, it drives the cost down to manageable levels. I drive a 230 grain 45 with 6 grains of unique and 180 grain 40's with 5.8 grains of the same. as far as being "flippy", maybe it's time to go to the gym?

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  20. beranimus

You made it sound under so easy honestly. I think thus might be in my near future.