JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I like to say is, "Spank you, spank you very MUCH!" :rolleyes:

You should say that like Elvis when you do!

IMG_4367.JPG

Conversely, I thank the person serving me - whether it is handing me a receipt, boxing my stuff (Costco), whatever. I know they are usually minimum wage doing a thankless job that is usually not fun or exciting or rewarding. Plus, I was just raised that way - common courtesy, that seems not so common anymore - it is almost a reflex with me, like using the turn signal.

My parents ingrained it early on; "what do you say?" - Please and Thank you.

Conversely, I thank the person serving me - whether it is handing me a receipt, boxing my stuff (Costco), whatever. I know they are usually minimum wage doing a thankless job that is usually not fun or exciting or rewarding. Plus, I was just raised that way - common courtesy, that seems not so common anymore - it is almost a reflex with me, like using the turn signal.

My parents ingrained it early on; "what do you say?" - Please and Thank you.

Ditto (believe it or not). I also tip restaurant wait-staff exceedingly well for exceptional service. I've even slipped "busboys" clearing tables who don't even wait on customers a $5 bill here and there if I notice them working hard.

I do the customary "thank you/ have a good one" etc but to be honest, I don't need it or really want it, and get annoyed when it turns into "so what are you out doing today" or "got big plans for the weekend".

I just want to quickly and efficiently exchange money for goods and services, and could really do without the fake bs, small talk with someone who really could not care any less.

Now there are a very few amount of people, where I've been a regular for years, who know me and it's not scripted and fake, but genuine, and I don't mind that.

Many here forgot to mention the folks in management are likely similar age to those here complaining. Minus the original post mentioning the Vietnamese folks with customer first mentality, where are the complaints about the lack of the baby boomer folks running these places teaching these kids to do these things?

Honestly, it sounds like not only are the kids to blame, but those that are involved in their bringing up.

Even if your three generations out, those here that are baby boomer, you obviously didn't teach gen x to teach gen mil to do these things.

Can't just throw all the blame on the kids if you never taught them to fish.

Many here forgot to mention the folks in management are likely similar age to those here complaining. Minus the original post mentioning the Vietnamese folks with customer first mentality, where are the complaints about the lack of the baby boomer folks running these places teaching these kids to do these things?

Honestly, it sounds like not only are the kids to blame, but those that are involved in their bringing up.

Even if your three generations out, those here that are baby boomer, you obviously didn't teach gen x to teach gen mil to do these things.

I like this post a lot. Parenting in general is the key. Any generation. I have met people my dad's age who are total piles of sh#( in life. You don't need a set age to be a dick, swindling money, or dead beat.

I will say I'm seeing a more lazy work ethic now because of people relying too much on computers. A computer goes down and suddenly people forget they have arms, pencil and paper.

where are the complaints about the lack of the baby boomer folks running these places teaching these kids to do these things?

Not throwing all the blame on the kids. What my observations are showing is sociological changes in societal behaviors with generational changes. Generational behaviors seldom have the same patterns and this is no exception. I merely point out that my generation ( baby boomers) has different behavior patterns in relating to our peer and age group.

First off, the baby boomers are getting pretty much aged out of work force with the youngest being about 56 this year. In case you have not noticed, the corporate world does not like us old people very much and likes to get rid of us so they can hire younger people for less money. I see a lot more 40's, I guess than is Gen X running these places. There are still plenty of 56- 65 in the upper management levels, but not on the store floors. And I will echo the other comments that people of all age brackets can be dicks and shi*heads, and my age bracket is no different.

Now for saying that the baby boomers did not teach gen x to teach gen mil, I just have to disagree. I was a very concerned parent and taught my kids manners and work ethic. The military, fire department and police department reinforced that training on them. In varying amounts I have seen different levels in their groups of friends. I did the best I could and to lay the insolence and arrogance of Gen Mil back on the baby boomers saying we did not do the job of teaching one generation to teach another generation is just a complete cop out of accepting responsibility or even acknowledging that these behaviors exist, when societal and environmental influences in peer groups can easily over ride early teachings. I would not blame my grandfather for my generations issues.

You can teach you kids so much, but the way society is today, peer pressure and the need to conform and the way social media allows Gen X and Gen Mil to relate to their peer groups means they have different patterns and expectations in these interactions than I do.

As others mentioned, I don't really want give a rats azz about a conversation. I have places I go regularly and there are some people there who we have conversations, just check me out and let me get going. Common courtesy says I will say thank you and if they choose not to oh well.

The kid at Black Rock Coffee...how's it going today man?

Not sure why it sets me back a bit when a 20 something calls me 'man' or 'dude'

Could be cuz Im extremely young and handsome looking...gets them all confused :rolleyes:

Not throwing all the blame on the kids. What my observations are showing is sociological changes in societal behaviors with generational changes. Generational behaviors seldom have the same patterns and this is no exception. I merely point out that my generation ( baby boomers) has different behavior patterns in relating to our peer and age group.

First off, the baby boomers are getting pretty much aged out of work force with the youngest being about 56 this year. In case you have not noticed, the corporate world does not like us old people very much and likes to get rid of us so they can hire younger people for less money. I see a lot more 40's, I guess than is Gen X running these places. There are still plenty of 56- 65 in the upper management levels, but not on the store floors. And I will echo the other comments that people of all age brackets can be dicks and shi*heads, and my age bracket is no different.

Now for saying that the baby boomers did not teach gen x to teach gen mil, I just have to disagree. I was a very concerned parent and taught my kids manners and work ethic. The military, fire department and police department reinforced that training on them. In varying amounts I have seen different levels in their groups of friends. I did the best I could and to lay the insolence and arrogance of Gen Mil back on the baby boomers saying we did not do the job of teaching one generation to teach another generation is just a complete cop out of accepting responsibility or even acknowledging that these behaviors exist, when societal and environmental influences in peer groups can easily over ride early teachings. I would not blame my grandfather for my generations issues.

You can teach you kids so much, but the way society is today, peer pressure and the need to conform and the way social media allows Gen X and Gen Mil to relate to their peer groups means they have different patterns and expectations in these interactions than I do.

As others mentioned, I don't really want give a rats azz about a conversation. I have places I go regularly and there are some people there who we have conversations, just check me out and let me get going. Common courtesy says I will say thank you and if they choose not to oh well.
In this reply you state you taught your kids one way correct?

I am going to guess they would not act the same way if working in the position of the person at these places you mention correct?

Then you mention that there are others that, for the most part, did not get taught such manners.

Would you say that their parents did not push this ideology?

Or did society change them?

Why did society not change your kids?

Just saying...

I work in a gravel pit. Civility? What's that? My dear old grandmother would have every one in that pit by the ear and picking out their own switch. But when I make deliveries I'm usually polite and try to do a professional job. You know, some customers are real jerks. They get really upset when I dump a load of rock in front of their garage door when the car is still in there. There's no pleasing some folks.

In case you have not noticed, the corporate world does not like us old people very much and likes to get rid of us so they can hire younger people for less money
They don't want you old farts spreading knowledge to the young ones. They don't want the work force to be anything but cheap drones. Plus a lot of mythology around corporations vs unions they like to pull.

Edit: don't take offense to old farts. It's just my potty mouth. Im grateful for everything past generations have done for me. Except Bill Gates and Steve jobs. F#@$ em' both and technology.

Would you say that their parents did not push this ideology?

Or did society change them?

Most likely they were not taught that by their parents, and they by their parents so I guess your point is valid. There are always elements of society that are that way. I guess if my grandfather had been a jerk, my dad would have been and I would have been.

Why did society not change your kids?

Just saying...

I guess we could talk about what the "change" is we are trying to define. They are like other millennials. They stare at their phones too much. They have different interactional behaviors with their peer groups than my generation does. My kids are all in professional or high technical jobs, so I don't really know what their interactions are with their fellow employees, I have seen them all at work at one time or another and they seem very professional to me.

We are just having one of those generational disagreements that will always happen, so we can agree to disagree.

It's not just retail. There's more than enough apathy to go around across the scale. I don't think it's age or industry related. I'm sorry to say I think it is deeper in the fabric.

Agree. I listened to two younger police officers trying to find a stolen truck one night and they got a bit in a hurry and mistook " box in the back of the pickup" and understood it to be a "box truck" and the stolen drove right by him and got away.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top