JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My new Khurki came in today.

blade.jpg

Anyone else like these types of knives/tools?

I had one around the estate for years very handy for a wide range of chores whether Klingons are about or mere vegetation discipline.

My biggest error was forgetting to oil it after a heavy afternoon in the brush one year.....it's taken on a camo-rust texture suggesting it is really unhappy with my oversight.......

A Khukri in the PI? Who'd a thunk it. Did not know they'd spread that far. Maybe some Brits or Ghurka's were around? I have a Bolo and a Barang that my dad brought home from Mindanao, Philippines, in WW2. He said he traded the cigarettes from his C-rations to some Moros for them. He was a non-smoker, good trade I think.

They need a bit of repair, the grips no longer stay on the blade tangs . I could pot them in epoxy but would be open for suggestions on more traditional methods.

Bolo and Barang.JPG

I remember going to a garage sale with my mom about 30 years ago and there was a huge collection of knives and one was a khukri that I really wanted. She did not buy it though.. said it looked.. used..

I have one British G.I. that I paid $30 for at a Montana gun show. The other is a Cold Steel full size carbon v. I also have the original box and a sheath that is plastic or kydex. I got it in 1999. I have not used the Cold Steel one at all. I have experimented with the cheapo, splitting wood and using it to strip bark. I would like to put a new handle on it so I can get some experience working on blades.

A khuk with a 12" blade works for me.. my personal favorite has been a British arrow-stamped Dehradun 1944. While it isnt fancy, it holds an edge and is differentially-tempered. The original sheath has long since kissed it so I made one of saddle-grade leather which will outlast me no doubt. Purists question the correctness of calling an Indian-made khuk a "real khukri", and the same would be said about Cold Steel's makes.. I would like to get hold of a CS "Ghurka Khukri" just to play around with sometime. :D

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews