JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Loaded these couple days ago and shot them up tonight. I was pretty worried when the first 5 rounds loaded at 4.0 grains all fired but used brass only made it out 1/2 way before getting caught in the slide......

Second set of 5 rounds at 4.2 grains looked pretty good but brass was landing on my head......

4.4 grains was pretty good group and feel. I will load some more in the 4.4 and try some at 4.5 grains also.

4.6 grain loads were amazing. Shot high on target but 5 rounds in the group and only see three distinct holes but for sure are 5 rounds there shooting at 30 feet two handed standing.

PS: I'm looking for some more of the N340 powder. Willing to trade H335 or CCI military primers.
I think I have a winner combination cooking here with a bit more tweaking.

All rounds were loaded to OAL 1. 075" , Federal Premium primers and sorted but non trimmed 1x brass.

Me and MisterARman will be talking soon for more of the 124 grain bullets....

Vit 4.6grain.jpg

Vittesttarget1.jpg

Vit4.4grain.jpg

Nice shooting... congrats!

Another thing you might try while bumping up the powder charge is a longer OAL. Not sure exactly which MG bullet you're loading, but if it's the FMJ, you might want to push it out to 1.130-1.150" max OAL on the 9mm is 1.160" and I find things tend to feed better when loaded to the longer length (the exception to this is hollow points).

Nice shooting... congrats!

(the exception to this is hollow points).

These are the 124 grain JHP

Still struggling a bit with the concept but I pulled my barrel on the pistol and dropped a black high lighted round in several times until I couldn't see a mark from barrel grooves and then backed up another 2 - 3 thousandths. I guess this is where having the pistol brass trimmed properly come into play for accuracy and pressures.

Got a lot to learn yet but still pretty happy with recent results!

No, Not trimming. (yet) LOL Just wondering how much better it could get and/or if I'm too close to the landing still, that by not either sorting or trimming to length am I potentially exposed to over pressure.

I always check the trim, especially on cartridges that index on the case mouth, on cases the first two times I use them, after sizing of course. You'd be surprised how much brass I have nibbled off new cases. Does it make a difference in my groups sizes? Not the way I shoot, but it keeps me busy and almost out of trouble.

But seriously, I love N-340 and use it in most of my handgun cartridges, but not the 9mm or target loads in the .32HRM or .38 spcl. This is not to say that it does not work as well as--say HP-38 or W231 in these smaller loads, but it is not the best bang for the buck, and this was true even when you could buy all you wanted.

The takeover of Vihtavuori's manufacturing facilities by Nammo has caused the halt in shipments of most of their powders to the USA, and despite what they may say, the shortage does not look like it will be fixed soon. The priorities seem to be on loaded ammo, which is understandable.
If you want to keep track of Nammo Lapua Vihtavuori Oy and the progress toward full supply you can check their website from time to time, but you will probably get earlier news from benchrest.com or 6mmbr.com as the short range BR folks are N-133 junkies and will talk about the supply situation almost incessantly.

Another thought--if you shoot precision rifle loads or are REALLY committed to finding more N-340 you might want to check out the sites that cater to BR shooter and other precision disciplines and watch for renewed supplies of N-133, N-135, N-130, and N-540. If and when these are again available, can N-340 be far behind?

Sinclair.com and Brunoshooters.com are a couple of such online retailers.

Last Edited:
Glad that I was happy with 9mm reloads because I shot up my first batch of .223 reloads today and was NOT....happy. Guess I'll try to be happy that they all went bang ejected properly and hit the paper, but no grouping thus far. Back to the drawing board.....

So you're saying that store bought .223 grouped just fine, but your hand loads didn't? Makes me GLAD I don't load for/have a long gun. Seems SOO much more complicated. Every thing I've loaded in handgun has worked fine as far as accuracy goes. Seems like a no brainer loading handgun as long as the few absolutes are followed to a tee.

Mike

So you're saying that store bought .223 grouped just fine, but your hand loads didn't? Makes me GLAD I don't load for/have a long gun. Seems SOO much more complicated. Every thing I've loaded in handgun has worked fine as far as accuracy goes. Seems like a no brainer loading handgun as long as the few absolutes are followed to a tee.

Mike
The only real difference I know of between loading bottleneck cases compared to straight walled is one must generally trim bottleneck cases and not straight, especially if they start out within spec.
Indeed, most bottleneck rifle die sets have two dies and pistol sets are either three with four being more common these days.
To me, loading bottleneck rifle is pretty simple, especially compared to straight walled cases.

The only real difference I know of between loading bottleneck cases compared to straight walled is one must generally trim bottleneck cases and not straight, especially if they start out within spec.
Indeed, most bottleneck rifle die sets have two dies and pistol sets are either three with four being more common these days.
To me, loading bottleneck rifle is pretty simple, especially compared to straight walled cases.

No, no, it's not so much the prepping of cases, even though there is a bit more to it. Having to lube cases, then clean them off. The above discussion with John's accuracy. I've loaded five calibers using three or four different powders and the only issues are some calibers are pretty dirty with some powders. Everything went bang and was accurate! except the one squib I had.

My hand loads were a tad bit worse than factory American Eagle 5.56 loads but not by much. If I can just get my long rifle loads to group like pistol I'll never buy another factory load. 500 rounds of Nosler 64 grain bullets just arrived so..... off to the drawing board again.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads