JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've trapped a lot of moles but today I got my first mole with a shotgun today! :s0155:

Used my Great Uncles single shot .410 and it worked pretty well. Nothing penetrated the mole but I think the concussion did him in.

Worked better than I thought it would and I didn't have to get my hands dirty setting traps! :D

Must've been satisfying.

The little buggers are so hard to catch, they're like the VC: All I ever see is the damage they do, I never see them.

I finally got traps that work consistently, called the Victor Out O' Sight Mole Trap.

A couple days ago I caught one by the arse, so he was fine and frisky when I pulled him out. I had the pleasure of walloping him with a shovel. Less messy than a scattergun.

Are yours the Townsend's moles? These suckers are huge, the biggest type in N. America.

Yeah, I think they are Townsends. I've trapped at least 70 over the years. I'm pretty good at trapping them but sometimes I just don't want to root around in the dirt chasing tunnels.

I noticed the mound moving around noon and grabbed the gun. It's nice to get a fast kill. ;)

I use my trusty Model 37 Ithaca pump loaded with 7 1/2 or 8 shot lead. Once I spot the diggers in an area, I stomp the hill down. Then the waiting game begins. Usually within a few hours I see new dirt flying. You must walk very quietly to the mound or they will hear/feel you. Once you see the dirt move, pull the trigger. I've killed 5 this summer and only hit one. This is the true meaning of shock and awe. I get such a kick out of it, my wife thinks I'm nuts. Just good old red neck fun.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews