Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My first . . .

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by PBinWA, Oct 20, 2010.

1. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

I've trapped a lot of moles but today I got my first mole with a shotgun today! :thumbup:

Used my Great Uncles single shot .410 and it worked pretty well. Nothing penetrated the mole but I think the concussion did him in.

Worked better than I thought it would and I didn't have to get my hands dirty setting traps! :D

2. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Must've been satisfying.

The little buggers are so hard to catch, they're like the VC: All I ever see is the damage they do, I never see them.

I finally got traps that work consistently, called the Victor Out O' Sight Mole Trap.

A couple days ago I caught one by the arse, so he was fine and frisky when I pulled him out. I had the pleasure of walloping him with a shovel. Less messy than a scattergun.

Are yours the Townsend's moles? These suckers are huge, the biggest type in N. America.

3. PBinWA

Yeah, I think they are Townsends. I've trapped at least 70 over the years. I'm pretty good at trapping them but sometimes I just don't want to root around in the dirt chasing tunnels.

I noticed the mound moving around noon and grabbed the gun. It's nice to get a fast kill. ;)

4. Celtic Armory

Celtic Armory Port Orchard, WA Member

We have a mole problem at our place. Little puckers keep digging up our yard.

5. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

I used the Victor spring trap with spikes -- you set it over a partially collapsed tunnel and when the mole re-digs the tunnel it drives spikes into him.

I had my doubts -- but it worked right away. One day later the trap was sprung and I dug up a huge dead mole.

Problem solved until I see the next one.

This is the one that worked for me: http://www.victorpest.com/store/mole-and-gopher-control/b0645-2

6. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Arlington New Member

I use my trusty Model 37 Ithaca pump loaded with 7 1/2 or 8 shot lead. Once I spot the diggers in an area, I stomp the hill down. Then the waiting game begins. Usually within a few hours I see new dirt flying. You must walk very quietly to the mound or they will hear/feel you. Once you see the dirt move, pull the trigger. I've killed 5 this summer and only hit one. This is the true meaning of shock and awe. I get such a kick out of it, my wife thinks I'm nuts. Just good old red neck fun.

7. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

8. claypigeon

claypigeon Salem Member

I sniped one with my 10/22 a few months back. My wife had seen him pushing up some dirt. I just waited till his head poked out of the hole and blasted him!

9. I got rid of my mole problem. I tore my lawn out and poured a 6 inch deep concrete slab in it's place. Now I have an 80' by 25' driveway.

Kidding.

10. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

Or you could use a dragonsbreath round down the hole... Well maybe that's just because I like the Michael Bay method of rodent removal lol

11. PBinWA

12. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Question:

after you trap a mole, or shoot one... what do you do with it?