JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So after 2+ years since I got my General Class Amateur Radio License, I've finally been able to afford to acquire my first HF rig. I've got a Yeasu FT-450D, which during all that time I was able to choose confidently with a lot of research. It was that or an ICOM 7200, but it is not in production anymore, and I wanted to buy a new rig, with MARS/CAP mods, from a solid source (GigaParts.com is a great equipment retailer; excellent customer service, great prices, have bought several radios and various accessories from them now. I'm not affiliated with them or anything, just a great store that I recommend). Antennas always being the most important part of any radio, I also researched them a lot. I got a Chameleon EMCOMM II and with a telescoping fiberglass staff, I've set it up as a sloper at 31' high. Works incredibly with a counterpoise, and RG8 coax (50ohm) which so far the Yeasu's built in antenna tuner (technically a impedance matcher) has been able to keep well under 3:1 SWR.

Okay, so I want to see how many other members here might be interested in a PNW gun owners net? It's scope could encompass a lot of what is talked about on here, except no firearm selling (per FCC). I'm not proposing an official NWF endorsed net, but a way for people interested in radio use to get some regular practice, ask questions of others, and whatever topics are relevant to firearms and radios 'lifestyle'.
It could be as frequent or infrequent as desired, and completely open to interested people.
Anyway, if there is anyone interested, speak up here and even if it's just a couple of us, it'd be a lot of fun.
If you're not sure what a net is, an internet search will tell you all about it.
Hoss

I'm only on 2m. I think you'd find more members on VHF/UHF.
Yeah I just thought about what would be the most common band/radios people might have, and a 2m net is more likely although I was thinking 6m or 10m, or anywhere down to 20m or 40m. There are nets in Oregon which use linked repeaters that stretch across the western part of the state, but a HF net would be a little more challenging and could be not dependent on repeaters but skywave propagation. It could also, potentially, encompass the PNW. There seems to be some taboo/controversy among Hams, especially the older orthodox ARRL, RACES/ARES crew that firearms are not to be mixed with the amateur radio world (this is a simplification of the issue, but about as much as I know as a newbie). But there are preparedness nets, as well as sportsman's nets, that will involve talk of firearms, but not much (that I know of, which is limited) nets dedicated to firearms and firearms issues and lifestyle; yet there is obviously a lot of cross-over between ham radio/prepping/firearms that I'm sure there is interest in, even if people don't have the kind of rig to join a regional net.
Hence, I'm fishing for interest, but you make a really good point as most emergency comms are necessarily local and best suited to 6m and up, especially 2m and 70cm bands that are easily bought and operated quite widely with the use of repeaters.

Neat!

I have yet to even get my ticket...boo.

I was looking into getting one back in Mass, but then this job came up & they covered all moving expenses & a sign on bonus. Im still kinda settling in, even after a year out here (again).

Know of any decent clubs in the Salem area which run the exams occasionally? Honestly, it'd likely be next summer before I'd actually take it though.

Have a general also~~ The problem with vhf/uhf is the range your limited ~~ repeaters etc. Where as 40/80 meters would cover almost all of WA/Or/CA & ID. Have a 450 D also love it as it'll work on 12 volt {auto} ~ so mobile in case of SHTF. It does require more $ to set up.:):)

Have a general also~~ The problem with vhf/uhf is the range your limited ~~ repeaters etc. Where as 40/80 meters would cover almost all of WA/Or/CA & ID. Have a 450 D also love it as it'll work on 12 volt {auto} ~ so mobile in case of SHTF. It does require more $ to set up.:):)
So is my FT-450D; I have a marine deep-cycle 12VDC, a <23V, 3A solar panel and controller. I'm going to get one of those 'handgun sized' crossbows and put a line deploying cylinder on it, like a fishing bow set-up, so I can shoot a lead over a tree limb, what-have-you, and put my EMCOMM II sloper up and do some DX'ing while at my favorite hunt/camp spots; one of them being at 6500' so I'm excited to see what I can tune in. I've been learning Fldigi, Ham Radio Deluxe, and DXLab radio software, and can run my computer off my mobile power supply as well. I'm learning straight key with an old Chinese PLA morse key, and while it's amazing the kind of data modes, digital tx, etc. a person can do linked to computer software, I want to be proficient in using the radio without it ("SHTF competency" is what I call it).
Question for you Hayshaker: In running my marine battery, it doesn't sustain 13.8VDC well, and that may be because I need a better matched panel and controller. But I'm wondering if with the Samlex Power Supply running off an DC inverter, run off the battery (kind of convoluted, I know) it can sustain the voltage as well as transform the lower amp capability of the battery up to the needed 23 (max). That may be less draw for the battery and better charging with the panel, but it may also create phase interference with going from DC to AC, to DC o_O. I can also use the marine battery without the panel, and re-up it with a jumper from my truck (at least in theory). Have you found the 450D to work off the nominal 12-12.5 DCV of a 12V battery without any problems?

Congrats on your new radio. Sounds like you're having fun with the new gear. I'm Tech class. I've only been talking on 2m. Although, I have been trying out some listening on 20m, 40m, and 80m. Just listening. If you do get a net setup, I'll be interested. I'm in w. Wash. so maybe not what you had in mind.

So is my FT-450D; I have a marine deep-cycle 12VDC, a <23V, 3A solar panel and controller. I'm going to get one of those 'handgun sized' crossbows and put a line deploying cylinder on it, like a fishing bow set-up, so I can shoot a lead over a tree limb, what-have-you, and put my EMCOMM II sloper up and do some DX'ing while at my favorite hunt/camp spots; one of them being at 6500' so I'm excited to see what I can tune in. I've been learning Fldigi, Ham Radio Deluxe, and DXLab radio software, and can run my computer off my mobile power supply as well. I'm learning straight key with an old Chinese PLA morse key, and while it's amazing the kind of data modes, digital tx, etc. a person can do linked to computer software, I want to be proficient in using the radio without it ("SHTF competency" is what I call it).
Question for you Hayshaker: In running my marine battery, it doesn't sustain 13.8VDC well, and that may be because I need a better matched panel and controller. But I'm wondering if with the Samlex Power Supply running off an DC inverter, run off the battery (kind of convoluted, I know) it can sustain the voltage as well as transform the lower amp capability of the battery up to the needed 23 (max). That may be less draw for the battery and better charging with the panel, but it may also create phase interference with going from DC to AC, to DC o_O. I can also use the marine battery without the panel, and re-up it with a jumper from my truck (at least in theory). Have you found the 450D to work off the nominal 12-12.5 DCV of a 12V battery without any problems?
No problem running off a 12 volt battery . Ran a Yeasu 101 in a truck for 22 years and currently have run my 450 in my PU with no problem. In a SHTF situation keeping the battery charged would be the problem after some time~~ lack of gas/diesel or what ever to charge the battery. Solar will do it if you have enough panels and a big enough battery bank.
I had a wind generator when full timing it and never ran out of power including running a 42" tv 16/18 hours a day. But the number of the battery bank makes a difference. Switching back and forth like your talking about is not needed or beneficial in my op. Some one else may have more experience then me.

Congrats on your new radio. Sounds like you're having fun with the new gear. I'm Tech class. I've only been talking on 2m. Although, I have been trying out some listening on 20m, 40m, and 80m. Just listening. If you do get a net setup, I'll be interested. I'm in w. Wash. so maybe not what you had in mind.
I am thinking regionally wide, so anyone that can tune in the PNW is what I'm thinking of.

Just in case this hasn't been shared here, check out this website:
websdr.org

You pick a station from the list, then you are linked to that station and can tune available bands yourself as it is all SDR (sofstware defined radio).
There are stations from all around the world. The interface allows you to tune the frequency much like a HF rig, passband width, LSB, USB, CW, Data, etc. It makes for excellent practice and a gain in practical skill with radio tech. Many know stations are marked on the waterfall, and by clicking on the marker, it automatically matches the mode the tx station is using.
So too, if you want to see if you would really enjoy the HF bands you can get your feet wet with using this site. Also, looking up nets online then tuning them in lets you at least listen via your computer for no monetary investment.

Just in case this hasn't been shared here, check out this website:
websdr.org

Thanks for mentioning websdr. That is part of how I have been listening to HF. I've had the best results from a station in San Francisco, and another in Texas. I guess those stations have good antennas. I have listened to stations all over the U.S. Haven't yet found people talking firearms, but I'll keep looking. I also have a SW receiver with SSB. That works pretty well when conditions are good. I've got about 50 ft of wire strung up around my garage for an antenna.
So far, my HF experience has not been two-way. I'm not willing to spend the necessary cash. Buying a 2m radio wasn't so bad. Its been worth the expense.

Thanks for mentioning websdr. That is part of how I have been listening to HF. I've had the best results from a station in San Francisco, and another in Texas. I guess those stations have good antennas. I have listened to stations all over the U.S. Haven't yet found people talking firearms, but I'll keep looking. I also have a SW receiver with SSB. That works pretty well when conditions are good. I've got about 50 ft of wire strung up around my garage for an antenna.
So far, my HF experience has not been two-way. I'm not willing to spend the necessary cash. Buying a 2m radio wasn't so bad. Its been worth the expense.
Yes, websdr is a great inexpensive way to have ears on all over the world. I use the SF station too, as it's the closest. I look for activity, then try to tune it in on my HF. Sometimes I can get a lot of the same stations, sometimes it's complete no joy; just goes to show you the diversity of propagation conditions and how they are different 400 odd miles away, not to mention antennas and their setup and efficacy.
If you were really looking to up your rx on the SW and SSB, (and you may know this already) but a beverage antenna is the best. The longest possible wire, up to a whole wavelength of the largest band (120m!) horizontally polarized, (parallel to the ground) at not very high, 6' minimum up to 10' or so, will get a lot of rx. It works if you were to make a loop, too, just keep it end-fed. If you have a fence, the wire could be strung along it and blended in so it doesn't look so ghetto/redneck; going around the property as many times, or something like that. Even just several laps around your roof eves, well blended in, would be a huge gain in rx.

Have seen SDR Play? ( <broken link removed> ) For the cost of a cheap rx antenna, like the beverage, you buy and feed through their unit, and then run their software, and you have a complete SDR receiver, much like the websdr. It's only $100 or so, and it receives LF (10khz) through to Microwave (2Ghz). It's quite a deal with enormous capabilities.

Have seen SDR Play? ( <broken link removed> ) For the cost of a cheap rx antenna, like the beverage, you buy and feed through their unit, and then run their software, and you have a complete SDR receiver, much like the websdr. It's only $100 or so, and it receives LF (10khz) through to Microwave (2Ghz). It's quite a deal with enormous capabilities.

Thanks for the tip on SDRplay. Interesting, but I'll pass, for now. Not really looking for any more hardware that only receives. And, the SDRplay requires a computer that I don't have. More looking for interesting things to listen to. If you know of any firearm/military/prepper nets, please let me know.

Thanks for the tip on SDRplay. Interesting, but I'll pass, for now. Not really looking for any more hardware that only receives. And, the SDRplay requires a computer that I don't have. More looking for interesting things to listen to. If you know of any firearm/military/prepper nets, please let me know.
I don't blame you, I like the idea too, but am just not interested in investing anything more into computer dependent tech when I primarily want to learn to be proficient without it, using just my own transceiver.
I just ordered this book, which I think is going to provide some insight on low-tech field ops, or even just some great stories and ideas:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-War-Developments-Clandestine-1895-2012/dp/1922013471

You may know this organization, but it bears repeating for those who don't:
AmRRON/TAPRN AMRRON | Communications for Preppers, Patriots, Redoubters and Partisans is the best organized amateur radio 'club' for preppers, etc. that I know of. They have nets from local on 2m, 70cm, all the way to regional/national in the HF. Nets (Regional & National) | AMRRONThey also have the channel 3 project with protocols which I think are the best integrated plan to provide non-state affiliated assistance, and news/information dissemination via their Radio Free Redoubt https://radiofreeredoubt.com The CH3 project links non-licensed radio bands with licensed ones to provide access to everyone, regardless of being an amateur radio operator.
There is also this site, which could turn up some interesting nets, etc.:
HFU HF Underground - Shortwave Pirate Radio Forums in North America and Around The World
As well, there's Forward Observer, which is a great place to learn some things for most people:
Forward Observer | Open Source Intelligence

I don't blame you, I like the idea too, but am just not interested in investing anything more into computer dependent tech when I primarily want to learn to be proficient without it, using just my own transceiver.

You may know this organization, but it bears repeating for those who don't:
AmRRON/TAPRN AMRRON | Communications for Preppers, Patriots, Redoubters and Partisans is the best organized amateur radio 'club' for preppers, etc. that I know of.

Agreed with the first part. I mostly want to stay lo-tech. Radio based. Battery operated. Comms for SHTF situation. Find a couple of locals to talk with for survival comms. Listen to regional comms for emergency info. I've joined ARES and a couple other local groups.

I'm aware of AMRRON. Its one of my "targets" for HF listening. I check into a 2m net that is run by a couple of guys in the next town over. I've started an FRS Ch3 net in my little ville. AMRRON hasn't listed my net, but I don't really need them to talk to folks. So far, nobody answering. Don't know if anyone can even hear me. I'll keep at it, though.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top