JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wait, PSK? Is this a PSK net or a voice net? I thought it was a voice net, which might be better since everyone has that equipment.

It's both. PSK is the backup. Depending on where you guys are it's between 800 and 1400 miles between me and you. Unfortunately for me, I'm on the south facing side of the San Gabriel range, so I either have to go over it, or I have to take the long way around.

I may see if I can head out to the desert which will give me some more flat land and a lower take-off angle. Also, the LA area is probably one of the most congested RF areas anywhere. I'm neighbors with about 15 million people, and the most powerful AM radio station in the western US, plus myriad AM, FM, and other stations. Just tuning to a blank spot on the dial my S-meter was reading S5 on 20m, and S3 on 40m.

Comments inline in RED:
I was able to listen via websdr and didn't hear anything (from a San Fran station). One reason we chose the 20m band is AmProducts capabilities at the moment, as well as the MUF floating around 17-18 mhz.Near-Real-Time MUF Map <--- It's not an absolute authority on what bands will work, but a strong indicator as we were trying to reach So. Cal., and the DX propagation conditions are more crucial.

In the original vein of a regional net, keeping in the Pac Nor West, we can work within a smaller area usually. The CQ time for the net was also past grey line, so we didn't have that advantage.

It only matters if people transmit :)

I think we should strive for SSB phone (voice) as the digital modes require more tech (although a computer and CAT cable is really all that's needed for any contemporarily made HF rig, the learning curve for the software make it more complicated than most care for I think).

Agreed, I think AM was kinda've a pointless endeavor. All the frequencies I chose were chosen to be: In the General License spectrum, and were also chosen so operating USB would not take you out of that.

If there is still interest, we should try again this Sunday, an hour earlier, and start at phone CQ frequencies. We can make another frequency decision tree based on what most people have available. Incidentally people who have NVIS type antenna might benefit more with short hop DX; I think 80m-20m are our best starting places. Even 10m might be a possibility.

Works for me, publish the frequency list and I'll hop on as I can. We should definitely keep a BPSK31 portion available "after the voice net". It would be cool if we could do a CW section, but I'm not that good, but my computer can at least interpret it (FLDIGI).

Maybe interested folks can post their band abilities (who haven't yet). 2m is a possibility, and there are repeaters that get around the whole west coast, but it would take a lot permissions and time slots scheduling to make happen on a heavily used system. Again, I think an HF freq is best for a regional net.

HF really is the winner here, however 6m also works really well in the PNW. There's a 6m repeater up near Index I used to talk on all the time. However the 2m repeaters on Tiger Mountain have really good coverage as well (unless you're taking 18 from Fall City to Maple Valley, it just drops through the pass).

One thing we might do, is ask Joe if we can use the NWFA chat to let people who are just listening to check in, like AmRRON and others do; that might appeal to some who want to support the idea and listen in, but don't have tx capabilities.

I don't see why that would be a problem, for what it's worth: paging @Joe Link

Anyway, if people still want to pursue this, please contribute your thoughts and ideas so we can make this as accessible as possible.

^^^^^ Seriously.

I can set up a beacon function on my rig, voice or cw, which I would turn on an hour or so before net time, which could give people an opportunity to adjust their gear ahead of time. Also, checking the beacons is a good way to see where the waves are going International Beacon Project Introduction
If someone has this capability, or want to schedule a time to attempt contact before Sunday, let me know. I'm in So. Oregon, for basic directional orientation.

Sounds good, I'll keep my ears open.

Thanks to AMProducts for seeing the idea through as my chit went sideways last weekend.

If the ball doesn't stay rolling, it will gather moss and be forgotten.

It's both. PSK is the backup. Depending on where you guys are it's between 800 and 1400 miles between me and you. Unfortunately for me, I'm on the south facing side of the San Gabriel range, so I either have to go over it, or I have to take the long way around.

I may see if I can head out to the desert which will give me some more flat land and a lower take-off angle. Also, the LA area is probably one of the most congested RF areas anywhere. I'm neighbors with about 15 million people, and the most powerful AM radio station in the western US, plus myriad AM, FM, and other stations. Just tuning to a blank spot on the dial my S-meter was reading S5 on 20m, and S3 on 40m.

Comments inline in RED:
I was able to listen via websdr and didn't hear anything (from a San Fran station). One reason we chose the 20m band is AmProducts capabilities at the moment, as well as the MUF floating around 17-18 mhz.Near-Real-Time MUF Map <--- It's not an absolute authority on what bands will work, but a strong indicator as we were trying to reach So. Cal., and the DX propagation conditions are more crucial.

In the original vein of a regional net, keeping in the Pac Nor West, we can work within a smaller area usually. The CQ time for the net was also past grey line, so we didn't have that advantage.

It only matters if people transmit :)

I think we should strive for SSB phone (voice) as the digital modes require more tech (although a computer and CAT cable is really all that's needed for any contemporarily made HF rig, the learning curve for the software make it more complicated than most care for I think).

Agreed, I think AM was kinda've a pointless endeavor. All the frequencies I chose were chosen to be: In the General License spectrum, and were also chosen so operating USB would not take you out of that.

If there is still interest, we should try again this Sunday, an hour earlier, and start at phone CQ frequencies. We can make another frequency decision tree based on what most people have available. Incidentally people who have NVIS type antenna might benefit more with short hop DX; I think 80m-20m are our best starting places. Even 10m might be a possibility.

Works for me, publish the frequency list and I'll hop on as I can. We should definitely keep a BPSK31 portion available "after the voice net". It would be cool if we could do a CW section, but I'm not that good, but my computer can at least interpret it (FLDIGI).

Maybe interested folks can post their band abilities (who haven't yet). 2m is a possibility, and there are repeaters that get around the whole west coast, but it would take a lot permissions and time slots scheduling to make happen on a heavily used system. Again, I think an HF freq is best for a regional net.

HF really is the winner here, however 6m also works really well in the PNW. There's a 6m repeater up near Index I used to talk on all the time. However the 2m repeaters on Tiger Mountain have really good coverage as well (unless you're taking 18 from Fall City to Maple Valley, it just drops through the pass).

One thing we might do, is ask Joe if we can use the NWFA chat to let people who are just listening to check in, like AmRRON and others do; that might appeal to some who want to support the idea and listen in, but don't have tx capabilities.

Anyway, if people still want to pursue this, please contribute your thoughts and ideas so we can make this as accessible as possible.

^^^^^ Seriously.

I can set up a beacon function on my rig, voice or cw, which I would turn on an hour or so before net time, which could give people an opportunity to adjust their gear ahead of time. Also, checking the beacons is a good way to see where the waves are going International Beacon Project Introduction
If someone has this capability, or want to schedule a time to attempt contact before Sunday, let me know. I'm in So. Oregon, for basic directional orientation.

Sounds good, I'll keep my ears open.

Thanks to AMProducts for seeing the idea through as my chit went sideways last weekend.

If the ball doesn't stay rolling, it will gather moss and be forgotten.
Alright, so we'll just keep this on the table and hopefully there will be more input/participation as it goes; I'm willing to bottom line it for a short while to give people a chance to tune in. AM, I'd really like to get on air practicing CW; maybe we can agree to meet and check in w/ phone, and then switch to CW. (PM me if you're interested and we can figure out the rest). My rig will let me tx CW in any mode, so an appropriate ssb phone in a band we can connect on would be good. I'm kind of developing this technique of using websdr simultaneously to see where the action is and compare what I'm able to tune in on my rig; so far a pretty good system.

Anyway, before Sunday, I'll post freq's, mode, times, etc., then set up a beacon, and all that. There are 10m and 6m repeaters, mostly 6m along Western Oregon; if skywave conditions permit, maybe that'll be a possibility.

I don't see a problem with this :)

All righty, y'all, here's the game plan for NWFA Net Sunday:

I just spent a few hours checking out bands and freqs this Friday eve, and conditions were great. A lot of QSO's and Nets, even some folks talking hunting and guns. Only caveat is the forecast for Kp 4 geomagnetic activity starting Saturday evening local time, so there are back up freq's just in case it's not happening on the primary (and just to see what would play well as a band for PNW region wide net)

The Net starts at 2000hrs (8pm if you're not trackin') on 14.307mhz USB (20m band). Please see the following:
  1. I will be transmitting an automated beacon (my lovely baritone voice) starting at 1930hrs at every 5-10 minutes so people can check their gear and fine tune.
  2. The chat room here will be available to use (Thanks to Joe) so folks can check into the net for people who are just listening or if you're having difficulties (I mean radio related difficulties, not marital, gastrointestinal, rose bush pest infestations, etc.;)) and I'll be monitoring it.
  3. If you're just listening, (go to websdr.org if you want a cheap and easy way to listen in) I hope that you do check in online here, otherwise I won't know that you're listening, i.e. that there is interest in this net!
  4. We can/will QSY (change frequencies) if conditions aren't favorable, the channel is already in use, or due to QRM/QRN (interference!). The order of battle for frequencies is thus:
    1. 14.307 USB @ 2000hrs; if channel is unusable (listen at least a few minutes before you move on) or the clock runs out and no joy, then
    2. 7.272 LSB @ 2015 is next frequency; and if for same reasons as above, then the next frequency is
    3. 3.895 LSB @ 2030; see above; the last frequency is at
    4. 1.933 LSB @ 2045 this ones really for gits and shiggles just to test the 'ether' to see if the 160m band is viable for PNW regional nets.
If something else needs to happen, and it's isn't conveyed via radio, the chat is the back up if you get lost, as well as for real-time feedback from the listeners.

As AMProducts posted, listen for this script:

Net Control: This is <Callsign> calling for the November Whiskey Foxtrot Alpha net held Sunday Night at 2000 Pacific Time. Is there any priority traffic, if so come now.
<pause>
Net Control: Hearing none, any stations this channel who wish to check in, please give your callsign and wait to be called.
<wait for callsigns, write them down>
Net Control: Callsign <callsign from list> please give your first name and location
(Other station will give callsign and nearest city)
Caller: This is <callsign> first name is <first name> calling from <city, airport code, etc>
Net Control: (Good/Rough/No) Copy <Callsign> thanks for calling.

After everyone has been checked in. close the net with:

Net Control: This is <Callsign> concluding the Novermber Whiskey Foxtrot Alpha net held Sunday night starting at 2000 west coast time.

SO, questions, comments, odd requests and so forth, please post here or PM me. Otherwise, it's on for Sunday.

Thanks,
Hoss

Please remember Personal Security: Maintain a mental firewall that no FCC callsigns are posted here, in the chat, or other publicly view-able places on NWFA, whether they are linked to an user's handle or not.

Last Edited:
So, no joy tonight on our primary freq call for the net. Turned out, all the back up freq's are popular for a reason as they were all busy. So, folks, if you want to try again, please post here this week and we'll select another set of channels to use next Sunday and give the net one last try for the time being.
Thanks,
Hoss

Very cool. My father-in-law, who is an Extra license, has a similar HF rig. I'm still just on Technician class, but one of these I'll upgrade to General.

Anywho, congratulations. :)

Very cool. My father-in-law, who is an Extra license, has a similar HF rig. I'm still just on Technician class, but one of these I'll upgrade to General.

Anywho, congratulations. :)
Thanks. It's really worth it to get your general ticket, there is so much to do on hf. I'm getting my extra at the end of Oct. Been studying a while and doing well on practice exams so I'm confident (if I don't jinx myself here).

So After Action Report/Lessons Learned from the attempt at the net tonight (notwithstanding participation y'allo_O):

• MUF at 2000 was </=14mhz, so my first CQ freq in 20m was not happening
  • Sunday is a popular day for nets, because most people work for a living
  • Back up freq's I chose are popular, and
  • were in heavy use due to MUF being lower than typical/when I chose the frequencies
So, in the future, note to self and anyone learning like me,
  • MUF propagation data is relevant and should be used in determining usable bands.
  • Data modes/CW are not only better for weak signals and poor propagation conditions, (with effective software use) but take up less bandwidth so the dedicated data/rtty/cw portions of the band plan have proportionately more available frequencies which is advantageous during high use times.

I unfortunately didn't get home in time (and I neglected to take my radio with me) I was up in the los padres national forest scouting a trip. Either way in 2 weeks, a bunch of us should be up there with some more serious ham gear, we'll see if we can get this going.

So, no joy tonight on our primary freq call for the net. Turned out, all the back up freq's are popular for a reason as they were all busy. So, folks, if you want to try again, please post here this week and we'll select another set of channels to use next Sunday and give the net one last try for the time being.
Thanks,
Hoss

I will be listening in. Listening only. Voice. I don't do CW, or dig. Doesn't matter to me what freqs are chosen. Again, thanks for getting this going.

Ok, it's sunday, who is getting ready for the net? I'm trying to debug my current antenna to see if I can make sure it's working. I'm also going to go clean out the heep and see if I can get out of town for a few hours and make contact.

The outdoor temp has shot over 100 today, so I'll do my best not to get heat prostration. I'm going to see if I can get set up out near mormon rocks. Or if I have time, I'll head further up 15 and see if I can get north of Kramer Junction.

Note: If I'm out in the desert, I probably won't have internet connectivity.

Today has turned into a BBQ day all around here, so I'm gonna call for the net at 2000, @ 14.307 USB but I'm not gonna chase down open freqs too much. If no one answers/it's busy/QRM I might try one QSY +5khz (14.312) which I'll post on the chat in real time. Back up band if 20m is closed will be 40m, 7.272 LSB, QSY for QRM is +5khz (7.277) After that, back to the BBQ if it's still happenin'.

I did get up and operating, but the wind was really bad, antenna was all over the place, lots of background noise. I bugged out about 21:15, tried the frequencies several times. I think I need to bring a wattmeter with me next time, I should have been transmitting at a full 100W, someone should have heard something. So either I'm not getting the juice I need out of my rig, or I'm burning up my power in my feedline/antenna.

I think I will try again next Sunday. I stayed on the radio for many hours after the net time, and I was hearing great quality tx's from the 40m down to 160m, but very little on the 20m yet again, even no joy on the beacons there I usually get. It seems like 40m and 80 are the most reliable, and I know they will work for a PNW region wide net, as I've heard folks from Nevada, Michigan, Alberta, British Colombia, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and California regularly on these bands.
So, @AMProducts even if it's just you and I talking, lets try again starting @7.278 LSB next Sunday (or whenever really if you want to pick another time) and at least quash the doubt whether we're getting out or not.

Sounds good, I'm very much down to keep going out and doing stuff.

The only reason I can think of to move a time, is to find a day where I can consistently get my gear set up, and get on the air. On a weekend I have more likelihood to be busy, but chances are great that I'll be somewhere interesting.

Sounds good, I'm very much down to keep going out and doing stuff.

The only reason I can think of to move a time, is to find a day where I can consistently get my gear set up, and get on the air. On a weekend I have more likelihood to be busy, but chances are great that I'll be somewhere interesting.
Well give it a thought, I've got a pretty open schedule. Let me know!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top