JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having not hunted in awhile that is hard to say. I guess deer and possibly elk.

Here is my opinion between hunting and target rifles/calibers. A hunting rifle is carried 99%, shot 1%. So, I prefer rifles that are as light as the likely shooting situations will allow. I also prefer flat shooting calibers because an animals life and death is at stake and if I am gonna kill it, I like it to be quick and humane. Flat shooting calibers provide a little more margin for error. For standard calibers, 25-06 and 270 do fine. I prefer magnums like the 257 weatherby or magnum 7mms.

Target/match rifles are carried very little and shot a lot. Repeatability is assisted by weight in the right places. Recoil is cumulative, so I tend to use more high-BC, lower powder charge cartridges. 243, 6mm-284, 6.5-284.

Here is my opinion between hunting and target rifles/calibers. A hunting rifle is carried 99%, shot 1%. So, I prefer rifles that are as light as the likely shooting situations will allow. I also prefer flat shooting calibers because an animals life and death is at stake and if I am gonna kill it, I like it to be quick and humane. Flat shooting calibers provide a little more margin for error. For standard calibers, 25-06 and 270 do fine. I prefer magnums like the 257 weatherby or magnum 7mms.

Target/match rifles are carried very little and shot a lot. Repeatability is assisted by weight in the right places. Recoil is cumulative, so I tend to use more high-BC, lower powder charge cartridges. 243, 6mm-284, 6.5-284.

I see at least 3 calibers in this post that virtually no human can find ammo for unless they reload. :D

A .270 Winchester is a much misunderstood cartridge, and yet one of the best all around for ALL north American game! An I have Zero problems using it for elk of even dangerous game that might try to kill you back! A classic Mauser action chambered in .270 would be an awesome combo!
There is a current push for long range hunting and rifles built to those needs, while they are cool, they can be expensive and heavy, two things you really don't want in the high mountains miles away from camp! Hard to go wrong with a Tikka, they offer an awful lot for the price, and they preform very well! If the European calibers were more readily available here in the States, I would say choose a 6.5X55 Swede or a 7X57 and call it good! My main hunting rifle is a Tikka Super Varmint in .30/06, while it's slightly heavier then a standard T-3, it's lighter then the same config rifle from other makers! .30/06 is popular for a number of reasons and is long proven, but it's only down side is it's actually too powerful for deer sized game! One of the reasons for the .270 and even the .25/06!!!

My opinion would be a Tikka in .308 or .30-06. Sorry thats all I have to offer but with shooting deer or elk and not pushing more than 500yrds at the range, I don't know why you would need something else more "exotic" unless you reload. If you want to hunt med to large game in North America, you can prob find some hunting rounds for each where ever you travel. Is there a need for further ranges or bigger/smaller game? what kind of optics are you looking at?

Last Edited:
I'm turning 40 soon and seriously thinking about buying my first bolt gun and would like some advice from the folks that are really experienced. It might just be the only bolt gun I get and the idea of getting an all around hunting/match type of gun sounds great.

- So do you think there are bolt guns that can be both or are they simply two different tools?
In my mind, that would be exactly like the mythical salmon/steelhead rod.
It doesn't exist.
My first big fish rod was advertised as such.....it sucks at both.
Get rifles for both pursuits.

I have been looking at the Savage Storm 110 in something like a .308 but my dad who is extremely knowledgable says that is the wrong round for hunting but I don't want to get my bubblegum handed to me at the range either. Not having hunted for a long time (20 years) I don't know if a "hunting rifle" only is right.
(My comments will be about the premium actions....almost all the gun makers have budget actions that are not quite the same as their big brothers...but they hit a low price point.)
Some folks love the Savage. It has a reputation for being very accurate right out of the box.
They use a barrel nut and barrels can be swapped by the user, at home with a few specialized tools.
Most of the others require the services of a gunsmith to swap barrels.
The Savage action is ugly to my eye.....that's right, some actions just look good.
Most of them are based in one way or another on the venerable Mauser action.
Winchester Model 70, Ruger M77 come to mind.
The Montana Rifle Co MRC action is another one.

- Is this gun worth using as a match/target gun? Or simply a hunting gun?
- Is the .308 a worthy hunting round?
It's capable.....kind of vanilla though.

I really like this too: http://bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_series_hmr_hunting_and_match_rifle.php
The gun looks great and looks more like a match gun but the company calls it 14 HMR Hunting Match Rifle.

- Do you think the Bergara can be a good hunting gun? Or simply a match gun?
I would not want to carry that in the woods with the box magazine hangin' down right where I want to put my carry hand.
Having said that, you might be able to acquire a hunting stock and a flush magazine for that Bergera.
Then you might have that combo system.

Last Edited:
Was looking at this too. And I wasn't set on the .308 as much as a place to start. The .270, .30-06 and .300 WinMag were the other choices.

Browning® X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed Bolt-Action Rifles : Cabela's
That's one of the "New Age" actions and it's showing a brake in the pic.
You don't want a brake on a hunting rifle unless it's for long range hunting where you have time to don your ear pro.
Of the "New Age" actions, I think the Tikka is the most popular.

Manufacturers are always trying to come up with more streamlined ways to manufacture actions while still retaining strength.
I think the trend started with the cylindrical Remington 700 action as opposed to the square bottom Mauser. Even before that, the Remington M721 (beautiful action) was designed with ease of manufacture in mind and led to M700.
The Remington 700 is probably the most hot-rodded action (custom rifles).

Last Edited:
Some guys lust for it.
Too expensive for most of them.
Gets the job done, but not THAT much better.
Leaves many feeling only regret that they wasted their money.
Is popular for reasons most don't understand.

:p:D
It's 6mm Creedmoor now.
Get on the bus !

Best-Precision-Rifle-Caliber.png

Being realistic, most people "overestimate " their hunting shots by about 50 percent. Sorry, it's the truth. How many hunters claim that their last kill was at 470 yards when you know it was in a clear cut with no more than 220 yards of clearing?

That being said, be realistic as to how far you are going to shoot. Most people can't reliably get a clean kill shot, in actual hunting conditions, outside of 300 yards. For that and still a ways beyond, a 308 is plenty capable. And while there are many more flavor of the day, the .308 was the go-to match round for years and would still be a good choice for an all around cartridge. Another bonus is the variety of match and hunting rounds available over the counter if you don't reload yet.

You might look at cabelas sale now. You can get a Savage 12FV in several calibers , including.308, for $269 after rebate right now. I picked up one in, yes, 6.5 creedmoor. They are fairly heavy, so not sure if I would want to carry one in the field though. Hard to beat at that price though.

My Tikka has some tricks up it's sleeve that really make a stand out hunting tool! First was I installed a set of Irons, because scopes can and do fail, why bungle a once in a life time hunt because your rifle is now incapable. It also has a threaded muzzle, not for a can, but for a Long Vortex flash hider, Dawn and Dusk shooting is a reality very few hunters are equipped to deal with, and the muzzle flash gets amplified through your optic and messes with your vision, especially on longer shots where you may need a follow up, or at least follow the animal as it takes a few steps off into the woods! Finally, I top quality optic mounted in top quality rings! These Tikka's are nice and light, well balanced, and super smooth, your not going to get any where close to this kind of performance at this price, PERIOD! Sure there are others out there, and I DO so love Ruger M-77s and HawkEye's, each serves a purpose, but for a do all, be all, every tool, you cannot beat a Tikka, and even better if it's in .30/06! Savage are a functional tool with a well known rep for accuracy, and they work very well, but they look fugly!:D If you do choose a Savage, you really want a 10 series hunting weight, not a heavy!

If you want to save some money without losing accuracy or functionality, take a look at Howas. As far as caliber, I bought a Remington 700 VTR (Varmint Target Rifle) in .308 for varmint/coyote thinning. I also bought it to replace my .303 Enfield or .375 Winchester for deer hunting should I choose to start again, even with the integrated muzzle brake. The .308 is one of the most versatile cartridges and cheapest to shoot. For elk, I might go with 7mm Mag or .300 Win Mag.

Recently, I ran into a BiMart deal that I could not pass up - a Winchester XPR for $258 after rebate. I had a choice of three calibers, .270, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. I chose the .270 even though it does not give me much more than the .308. It is a very light rifle and the .270 does not kick like the others listed, even though it seems to be one of the recently forgotten calibers. 130 grain bullets have good ballistics in this caliber. I know hunters that go for elk with the .270, but they must be better shots than I am.

I do not have the experience or skill that many on this site do, although I do have the time in. Think about what you will shoot most and can afford to shoot. Ammo may soon become equal to the cost of the rifle depending on what you choose. I would rather have a caliber that I can practice with a lot.

In my mind, that would be exactly like the mythical salmon/steelhead rod.
It doesn't exist.
My first big fish rod was advertised as such.....it sucks at both.
Get rifles for both pursuits.

(My comments will be about the premium actions....almost all the gun makers have budget actions that are not quite the same as their big brothers...but they hit a low price point.)
Some folks love the Savage. It has a reputation for being very accurate right out of the box.
They use a barrel nut and barrels can be swapped by the user, at home with a few specialized tools.
Most of the others require the services of a gunsmith to swap barrels.
The Savage action is ugly to my eye.....that's right, some actions just look good.
Most of them are based in one way or another on the venerable Mauser action.
Winchester Model 70, Ruger M77 come to mind.
The Montana Rifle Co MRC action is another one.

It's capable.....kind of vanilla though.

I would not want to carry that in the woods with the box magazine hangin' down right where I want to put my carry hand.
Having said that, you might be able to acquire a hunting stock and a flush magazine for that Bergera.
Then you might have that combo system.
Thanks, all good advice.

I don't own a centerfire target rifle so all I can talk about is my own hunting experience. I was raised in western Oregon where the deer are small and the elks big as horses. For a deer rifle and my style of hunting I used a short light Remington 600 in 308. In heavy brush 308 doesnt deflected much and if you do your part it drops them every time. The short light gun is handy on the way into the brush and easier to pack on the way out with game.

Got older and had family move to eastern oregon and my first hunt with my Remington I killed a great buck but ranges over there on game really test your skill. I decided to buy another platform and cartridge for desert hunting that fit my skill level and it's characteristics. I bought a Browning auto in 270 because it shoots flat for the distance I would shoot and has a very quick followup shot if you need it. Deer over there are much bigger but a solid hit brings them down.

If I wanted to hunt paper from the shooting bench both guns are not good enough to score but both have killed some deer.:D

And that right there brings up a very important point, ( and post a huge tick mark in the .30/06 box) versatility! With light 125 grain bullets and reduced charges, it's perfect for deer, and when hunting monster rosies, a big 180 grainer is perfect elk medicine! For eastern hunts where range gets out there, a 165 or 168 grain does the trick every time if you do your part! And if you ever get the hunt of a life time on a big coastal brown bear, a 220 grain will put one of those monster bears on his side for good! Is it perfection, NO, but it is about as close as your going to get with one rifle!:)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top