JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm turning 40 soon and seriously thinking about buying my first bolt gun and would like some advice from the folks that are really experienced. It might just be the only bolt gun I get and the idea of getting an all around hunting/match type of gun sounds great.

- So do you think there are bolt guns that can be both or are they simply two different tools?

I have been looking at the Savage Storm 110 in something like a .308 but my dad who is extremely knowledgable says that is the wrong round for hunting but I don't want to get my bubblegum handed to me at the range either. Not having hunted for a long time (20 years) I don't know if a "hunting rifle" only is right.

- Is this gun worth using as a match/target gun? Or simply a hunting gun?
- Is the .308 a worthy hunting round?

I really like this too: http://bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_series_hmr_hunting_and_match_rifle.php
The gun looks great and looks more like a match gun but the company calls it 14 HMR Hunting Match Rifle.

- Do you think the Bergara can be a good hunting gun? Or simply a match gun?

Hope that wasn't too long winded, there is simply way too many calibers and guns to choose from. Thanks ahead of time for any info! :)

If conditions and ranges are similar to the match, you can get by using one gun. Because my hunting varies between still hunting timber or setting up over open fields, my hunting requires a lot more versatility than a match rifle could provide.

The 308 makes a very versatile hunting caliber within 400 yards. If you haven't hunted in a while, its not easy with adrenaline pumping to make an ethical hit much beyond that. For many hunters, its not nearly that far where their abilities come into question.

If shooting matches, Id actually pick a case size similar to 308 with a smaller caliber, high BC bullet. You can achieve high BC easier than with a 30 caliber.

.308 is a fine hunting caliber. With the right loads it can be pushed like a 30-06. After all they share many of the same projectiles. True story. For a dual purpose gun, look at the Tikka T3 line. It will do both quite well.

So it sounds like the round is much more important than the rifle itself. Wasn't clear on how much difference a stock like the Bergara would make in a hunting situation.

I'd say go with the 6.5 of your choice. Creedmore being the current popular. Round is good for hunting and competition.

Currently tons of options available in this caliber from very entry level to pretty crazy.

I'd say go with the 6.5 of your choice. Creedmore being the current popular. Round is good for hunting and competition.

Currently tons of options available in this caliber from very entry level to pretty crazy.

Ah, Creedmoor, the Kardashian of the gun world. :D

I thought that round would be too weak for hunting large game?

I think the Bergara would be a pretty good compromise gun. 6.5 Creedmoor would do for most hunting in the NW. Going to be a little heavier than a true hunting rifle but again, compromise. Bergara are Remington 700 compatible so if you want to change the stock at some point, lots of options.

I have a friend that recently got a Bergara hunting rifle and it is a very accurate gun right out of the box.

I thought that round would be too weak for hunting large game?
I have a buddy that takes anything in Nevada with his. He usually takes them past 500 yards too. Last known kill was a mule dear at close to 900. Guy just sits and waits.

Ah, Creedmoor, the Kardashian of the gun world. :D

Some guys lust for it.
Too expensive for most of them.
Gets the job done, but not THAT much better.
Leaves many feeling only regret that they wasted their money.
Is popular for reasons most don't understand.

:p:D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR