JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
308, 30-06 are great choices. 270 can drop it like it's hot. 6.5 creedmoor is great as well.

Manufacturers that I like are Ruger, Savage, Remington, Tikka/ Sako, Weatherby, and Sauer.

This one not Sig Sauer even though I love Sig Sauer pistols.
C98D5654-B7B9-4E5C-9A09-0E40C24ED6E6.png

http://www.sauer.de/us/products/bolt-action-rifles/sauer-100/sauer-100-classic/features.html

Now for the downsides. 6.5 creedmoor wears the barrel out faster. But if you don't plan on going plinking and hunting with it, who cares if it wears out the barrel after 1500-1800 rounds?

If you expect the proverbial end of society then 30-06 is going to be less versatile than 308. 270 also will be less versatile as well.

So, get a 308, 30-06, 270, and 6.5 creedmoor and whatever you don't like or want you can always gift me! :p

And that right there brings up a very important point, ( and post a huge tick mark in the .30/06 box) versatility! With light 125 grain bullets and reduced charges, it's perfect for deer, and when hunting monster rosies, a big 180 grainer is perfect elk medicine! For eastern hunts where range gets out there, a 165 or 168 grain does the trick every time if you do your part! And if you ever get the hunt of a life time on a big coastal brown bear, a 220 grain will put one of those monster bears on his side for good! Is it perfection, NO, but it is about as close as your going to get with one rifle!:)

I see the 30-06 as being the most versatile when choosing one load, the 180gr cup and core bullet, or the 150gr monolithic. One zero, one trajectory, one bullet for everything.

I used to use 150gr Nosler Solid Base for deer and 200gr Nosler Partitions for elk. I got tired of having to re-zero between seasons. I switched to the 180gr partition for everything because it only shot a couple inches lower at 400 yards with a 200 yard zero. The front half opens quickly (great for narrow animals like deer) and the back half drives through (for thicker animals like elk and bear).

I am now trying out the 150gr Barnes Tipped TSX. Shoots flat out to 400 and doesnt shed weight on impact, making it great for bigger animals. Performance on deer has been dramatic. Haven't killed an elk yet with it. Should be fine. The 130gr TTSX out of the 300 Win Mag my friend shoots was able to liquify the chest cavity of his elk and still broke the off shoulder.

I kinda like the Tikka series and the CZ 550 / 557 series of rifles...
Just tossing this out there for the shock value of :
OH MY!!!! Andy had a good word for one of those new fangled cartridge guns...:eek::D

( Well not really... 'Cause I really do like my suggested rifles... )
Andy

I personally like the CZ 527, in the 7.62x39 it really add more yardage to that round and improves the accuracy as well.
Plus ammo is cheap.

Hunting wise I think bolt guns are fine on the first shot but very difficult to make that second shot. Running the bolt puts you out of shooting grip and in the time it takes you to get back on target in heavy brush you can lose the game. Browning semi you tuck in for the shot the gun cycles itself and your time is spent watching the game plus your grip never changes so you have a fast follow up shot.

First shot I believe all guns are equal, after that give me a Browning BAR.

I personally like the CZ 527, in the 7.62x39 it really add more yardage to that round and improves the accuracy as well.
Plus ammo is cheap.

As a young man I hunted with the Winchester 30 30 and found it lacking. It has about the same power as a 762x39 and when I made a really good heart lung shot the deer stood there looking took one step and I shot him again then he trotted off. Holes were half an inch apart and the deer ran 50 yards into the woods. Small coast deer. My 308 dropped em where I hit them, never had to use a second shot.

Well this is all great advice, I'm glad I asked. At this point I'm going to go to Cabelas and actually get my hands on a few rifles and see what feels right. I will revisit this thread as i go along and eventually post a couples pics when I finally make a decision. Thanks again! GJ

Three rifles to put to your shoulder and run the bolt and see how they feel! Give a Ruger M-77 a try, a Ruger American, and the Tikka, and see just how smooth they are, take that and then compare as many others as you wish! That will probably show you the one for you, and you will likely see why most here love TIKKA so much! I have 1 and my Bride has 2!:):):)

Three rifles to put to your shoulder and run the bolt and see how they feel! Give a Ruger M-77 a try, a Ruger American, and the Tikka, and see just how smooth they are, take that and then compare as many others as you wish! That will probably show you the one for you, and you will likely see why most here love TIKKA so much! I have 1 and my Bride has 2!:):):)
Have you ever tried a Sauer 100 or S101?

I love Tikka A LOT but you know 1 main reason to get the Sauer over the standard Tikka? 5+1 rounds vs 3+1

I would love a Sauer for sure! Thompson was rebranding them as the Icon for a while, not quite as nice, but a good price on a nice rifle to start out with! I have often thought of getting a Icon and doing up a super nice wood stock for it!:)

As a young man I hunted with the Winchester 30 30 and found it lacking. It has about the same power as a 762x39 and when I made a really good heart lung shot the deer stood there looking took one step and I shot him again then he trotted off. Holes were half an inch apart and the deer ran 50 yards into the woods. Small coast deer. My 308 dropped em where I hit them, never had to use a second shot.

I am not sure about that, there are many, many whom hunt with the SKS that has a lower velocity and range then the bolt action 527. There are many a hunter where I live that use the SKS often, back to the CZ 527 with a 7.62x39 I have no idea what your rifle did with a 30/30 but at 50 yards your saying wont take down a deer is " not " accurate in my experience and as its been done many many times at longer distances with ease. There was a poaching incident a couple years ago where a Elk was taken down by some poachers and that was with an AK-47. And lastly 30/30 and 7.62x39 are amazing boar rifles and a boards head is twice as thick as a deers head let alone chest. I thought after typing this your probably yankin my chain as often times even for deer a 30.06 can be too much if too close and your kinda getting a rep around here for trolling at times in my opinion.. Well as they say to each their own......but I will stand by choice with CZ 527 any day, never failed me yet and takes that iffy 7.62x39 accuracy and drives it, you should try one and report back, its bigger brother CZ also comes in 7.62x39 and is even more accurate due to a longer barrel.

Last Edited:
I am not sure about that, there are many, many whom hunt with the SKS that has a lower velocity and range then the bolt action 527. There are many a hunter where I live that use the SKS often, back to the CZ 527 with a 7.62x39 I have no idea what your rifle did with a 30/30 but at 50 yards your saying wont take down a deer is " not " accurate in my experience and as its been done many many times at longer distances with ease. There was a poaching incident a couple years ago where a Elk was taken down by some poachers and that was with an AK-47. And lastly 30/30 and 7.62x39 are amazing boar rifles and a boards head is twice as thick as a deers head let alone chest. I thought after typing this your probably yankin my chain as often times even for dear a 30.06 can be too much if too close and your kinda getting a rep around here for trolling at times in my opinion.. Well as they say to each their own......but I will stand by choice with CZ 527 any day, never failed me yet and takes that iffy 7.62x39 accuracy and drives it, you should try one and report back, its bigger brother CZ also comes in 7.62x39 and is even more accurate do to a longer barrel.

You give your opinion and I give my experience so now I am a troll:eek: Out of respect for the site I wont' fight with you and feel secure my friend that you can't be trolled on ignore. Too bad we cant share experience and talk about our past but it seems some guys feel it's a threat. Later dude.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top