JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I learned a valuable lesson yesterday.. Never assume your concealed carry pistol is good to go.

I took my ARs up to my Dads house yesterday to sight in my new Vortex Spark AR, tested a few hand loads I've been working up... I perfected my mock m193 load(h335, #41s and bulk 55grn fmjbt....sub MOA with bulk hornady's:s0151:), and put a couple hundred rounds through my carbine to confirm the reliability since my $20 trigger job... no malfunctions and all solid primer strikes so I'm satisfied there too:s0168:. I also got dad to shoot an AR for the first time. The old man is a great shot for a 75yo with parkinson's.

I had a great time. It was a beautiful day to be outside.

HOWEVER... on a whim, I decided to bring along a box of .380 ammo to get a little trigger time on my LCP2... To date I have ~50-60 rounds through it without issue. It has been in my pocket every time I leave my house for the last 4 months. I love the gun. It's so small it disappeares in your pocket, yet it is still fun to shoot... not to mention quite accurate.
I was all packed up to go home when I dumped my bag and the box of .380 ammo fell out, reminding me to go through a few 7yard drills just for the sake of muscle memory... Boy am I glad I'm clumsy!
Every time I pulled the trigger the mag popped out... I tried 3 different mags, 3 different kinds of ammo(raided dad's ammo stash), and made sure I wasn't accidentally hitting the release. My dad has the exact same gun, so I tried my mags, the same ammo, and my natural grip with his to make sure. His functioned flawlessly in every case. My previously reliable LCP2 somehow developed an issue just by riding in my pocket the last few months!
It did give me a couple hints over the last couple months... Several times I noticed the mag had popped out sometime during the day when I took it out of my pocket, and twice came out all together in my jeep and ended up between the seat and console... Lucky it didn't happen somewhere in public. I'm guessing the release spring is weak. A little google research reveals that this mag drop problem is all too common, and something I hope Ruger is addressing. If you have an LCP2 be aware. It's still a great gun... best in its class IMO, but like any new design it's going to have bugs like this pop up. I saw nothing about this in my initial pre-purchase research, but It had only been out a couple months at that point. Needless to say, 3 hours later it was on its way back to Ruger. I hope they don't take too long with it. I have to carry my G17 full time until i gets back. While I appreciate having the extra fire power, it's a friggin brick.
Don't let my experience keep you from getting an LCP2. My luck is such that if 1/1000 has an issue, I'll be among the .1% that gets the lemon. Just be sure to shoot your CCP often, what ever it is... no matter how confident you are of it's reliability. Your life could depend on it.

My LCP (Gen II) worked fine with the one magazine that came with it. Four spare Ruger factory magazines I bought all had the problem you are experiencing.

One thing I noticed was the original magazine made a much more positive click when inserted. The ones that didn't work clicked in better if you pushed forward on it while inserting and wouldn't click at all if you pushed backward.

I ended up removing just about 5 thousandths of material off the tops of the base plates and that took care of it. Ruger quality control is not what it used to be.

My LCP (Gen II) worked fine with the one magazine that came with it. Four spare Ruger factory magazines I bought all had the problem you are experiencing.

One thing I noticed was the original magazine made a much more positive click when inserted. The ones that didn't work clicked in better if you pushed forward on it while inserting and wouldn't click at all if you pushed backward.

I ended up removing just about 5 thousandths of material off the tops of the base plates and that took care of it. Ruger quality control is not what it used to be.
All the mags I tried were brand new factory LCP gen 2, and all worked fine in dad's gun. The mag release button felt mushy compared to my dads pistol as well... I'm almost certain it's the mag release spring... I'll post an update with the diagnosis when I get it back from Ruger though.

I won't carry a gun until I have at least 500 rounds through it. Some I've shot over 1000 with first. It makes me feel more confident, both in my familiarity and competence with the gun and with its reliability.

Last Edited:
I won't carry a gun until I have at least 500 rounds through it. Some shot over 1000 with first. It makes me feel more confident, both in my familiarity and competence with the gun and with its reliability.
Definitely a good idea... Especially with a new model of pistol that doesn't have a long track record to refer to, or sufficient time in the field to get the bugs worked out. Like I said in the OP...valuable lesson learned. That said...I wonder if in this case, just putting rounds through it without carrying it and wearing on the mag release, the problem would have surfaced. Maybe the wear on the mag release spring from getting rubbed on, and getting pocket lint and detritus into the nooks and crannies with just the minimalist soft pocket holster ruger included to protect it, exposed a weakness that may have otherwise taken a lot longer to manifest itself.... :s0092:.

I now carry my lcp2 now that the bugs have been worked out. Bugs? Just the fallower. It wouldn't load a full mag. That is, the first round on a full mag wouldn't load in any condition/method. So I took the mag apart and noticed the fallower body had molding flaws preventing it from tipping up/returning correctly. Filed off the imperfections and it runs like a raped ape now.

Mag ejection is great. Shoots the mags out with good force. Mag retention is great. Never an issue. I do notice with this gun, it likes the mags to be put in firm.

Any time I change something on one of my guns trigger site spring or Mag bla bla bla I don't trust it until I go to the range and run at least 100 rounds with no malfunctions threw it I'm not really depending on it to save my life this is important for everyone here I built a AR for my sister and when we went to the range it had light strike problem 's fixed it now but it could have been bad deal if she really needed it

Did you not clean and inspect it during those 4 months? I clean my carry pieces every month if not fired during that time. It couldn't hurt.
Nope... Never felt like there was a reason to unless I shot it. Guess i'll add that to my firearm maintenance to do list.

Any time I change something on one of my guns trigger site spring or Mag bla bla bla I don't trust it until I go to the range and run at least 100 rounds with no malfunctions threw it I'm not really depending on it to save my life this is important for everyone here I built a AR for my sister and when we went to the range it had light strike problem 's fixed it now but it could have been bad deal if she really needed it
That's one of the reasons I was out shooting that day... to put 100 through one of my ARs post $20 trigger job...(I put in reduced weight springs,gave the contact points a good polishing, and bobbed the hammer.). got the Milspec 7-8 pounder down to 4 pounds with little to no take up, and am happy to report fully reliable!

You know EPS... I never noticed your chronic lack of punctuation until people started pointing it out... now I look forward the challenge of getting though your posts... This one wasn't easy;)

That's one of the reasons I was out shooting that day... to put 100 through one of my ARs post $20 trigger job...(I put in reduced weight springs,gave the contact points a good polishing, and bobbed the hammer.). got the Milspec 7-8 pounder down to 4 pounds with little to no take up, and am happy to report fully reliable!

You know EPS... I never noticed your chronic lack of punctuation until people started pointing it out... now I look forward the challenge of getting though your posts... This one wasn't easy;)
Lol the short ones are not bad. It's when I get long winded they get hard to read

I'm afraid now that I haven't used punctuation in so long that if I start now it's going to be so bad it will make it worse lol I have to go back to school

Not familiar with the LCP line, but had mag release issues with one of our LC9S's. Our issue wasn't the spring but the mag release part itself. Was worn what appeared to me just a little bit off spec.

Bought a spare part off the Ruger store, along with a spare spring just in case. Nope it was the mag catch/release part, for our issue.

Anywhoo, it was super easy to replace on the LC9S, so would imagine similar ease on an LCP line. A long/fine nosed needle nose plier can be helpful. A needle driver/Kelly clamps/forceps, if you have them will work better.

Ah, this thread caught my eye, I'm glad it did. I have an LCPII and when pocket carrying with the included pocket holster, the magazine constantly pops out and just kind of floats in the magwell. Just walking around, nothing else in the pocket. I actually got so concerned that I changed how and what I carry because I don't trust it. Now I appendix carry my G42 under an untucked shirt.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews