JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys made me post these photos...

View attachment 341588
The survival knife and the TL-29 were issued to my MOS field.

View attachment 341589
Ironically, this more recognized Army folder was never issued to us.

WAYNO.

I believe you, but they're all good, aren't they? The TL-29 is a great tool and the survival knife paid for itself many times over as well.

Let me know where I am wrong, won't you?

Last Edited:
Ok, got my TL-29 today (top picture) from the same place CaptainO got his. I compared it to the other three I have, two being older Camillus New York USA (middle picture) and one being and older Camco USA (bottom picture).

My opinion is this, it's worth the money. It's built well and came with a decent working edge and no burs which is pretty good for a factory edge, especially for a company that was going out of business where quality control might be a little less than optimal. It doesn't have as stiff of half-stops as the older ones, but is a little stiffer than the Camco. The screw driver blade is not the nail buster as the two older ones, but is also stiffer than the Camco. The Camco was a budget line from Camillus. The Camco still has the brass liners, but is not as thick overall. Still a very robust knife and well built.

One of the reviewers on Amazon said the screw driver did not engage the lock. I found this was true ..... however, after working it back and forth a few times it engaged just fine without having to do any modifications like the Amazon reviewer seemed to have to perform.

DSCN0663.JPG

DSCN0662.JPG DSCN0664.JPG

Ok, got my TL-29 today (top picture) from the same place CaptainO got his. I compared it to the other three I have, two being older Camillus New York USA (middle picture) and one being and older Camco USA (bottom picture).

My opinion is this, it's worth the money. It's built well and came with a decent working edge and no burs which is pretty good for a factory edge, especially for a company that was going out of business where quality control might be a little less than optimal. It doesn't have as stiff of half-stops as the older ones, but is a little stiffer than the Camco. The screw driver blade is not the nail buster as the two older ones, but is also stiffer than the Camco. The Camco was a budget line from Camillus. The Camco still has the brass liners, but is not as thick overall. Still a very robust knife and well built.

One of the reviewers on Amazon said the screw driver did not engage the lock. I found this was true ..... however, after working it back and forth a few times it engaged just fine without having to do any modifications like the Amazon reviewer seemed to have to perform.

View attachment 342555

View attachment 342556 View attachment 342557

The only reason that the screwdriver/wire stripper lock doesn't lock when "new" is due to the preservative they use to coat the blades and mechanism. Aside from that, the knife is fine.

Congratulations, and enjoy!

One thing to add. The seller who has these listed on Amazon also sells them on ebay for a dollar cheaper (not really a deal breaker), just do a search for "Camillus TL-29" the sellers name is eprague knives, of which I have no affiliation with.

Captain O, I thought it was odd that the Amazon reviewer did that. But yeah, it's just the grease or whatever they use that gums it up a little. I think it's a good find and thanks for letting us know. Made my wife smile and shake her head a little bit when I pulled others out to take a picture. LOL!

Nice utilitarian pocket knives... have never owned any like those. Older knives made "back in the day" are often much better- seems to me- than the chinese garbage foisted upon Americans as state of the art tools/blades etc.
Picked up some blades from the sell-off of the original Camillus firm some years ago. I can assure you after building a few that only those marked "stainless" are stainless... Some of the blades are VERY much like those sold under the Cold Steel trademark.:D
However that may be, Ive gotten some nice knives marked OVB and shall godwilling carry them until my time here expires!

DunRanull,

What I also like about the older knives are the stiffer back-springs and in the case of these older TL-29's ..... good half stops. Stiffer back-springs keep the blade from closing up easily if you have a "moment". And, if people use proper knife handling and safety techniques, mishaps are greatly reduced. Not to say they don't happen, but they are minimized a bit.

But yeah, these are really decent "user" knives that take a bunch of abuse.

Last Edited:
Colonial Knife Company's recent efforts are better than others have been. Thier recent run of 440A steel is running between 58-60 Rc. (This puts it up with AG Russel and other Knifemakers working hard to improve the image of 440A steel). 440A isn't bad steel, but it is poor heat treating that gives it a bad reputation.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top