JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Except for three tiny spots on the back of the 0170-6C spear point blade, this knife is as perfect as it was when it left the factory 10+ years ago. Everything, fit & finish, "walk and talk" condition, bail, stripper/screwdriver blade (and lock), spearpoint blade and condition are nearly immaculate (no scratches). It is as good, or better than the knife I requisitioned from the Ship's Store 43 years ago.

If you want one of these, to ePrague on Amazon and order from their site before they run out.

You will not be disappointed!

Arf The Wonder Chicken approves of this piece of utilitarian Military history.

Sorry, I can't post pictures, because I haven't the ability. Look up ePrague on amazon and see what it has to offer. There's a limited supply of these because the Camillus plant closed its doors in 2007. Their last production run of the TL-29 was one of the best because it used the 0170-6C steel (1095 Carbon steel + Chromium and Vanadium for enhanced corrosion resistance and edge holding abilities).

Arf The Wonder Chicken says that this steel is "a cut above Stainless". ;)

That's the link. My review is there to read. If you like this pattern, this is the knife that will hold an edge without "turning" on you. The 0170-6C steel will hold an edge better than Colonial's 440A in the same pattern. While the stainless is less prone to rust if you keep the 1095 based steel (Cold Steel used the same product and called it Carbon V). The added Chromium and Vanadium give the steel this advantage. (This is an "old school" approach that has worked for generations, and it works today).

DSC06054.jpg
This not the OP's actual knife but mine ... which followed me home from the Army.
This is the type of knife he is talking about.
Its the one in top

Glad you got one Captain O ... :D
Andy

Last Edited:
Also part of our issue tools in Army aircraft maintenance.

My personal one always hung on my belt, until one day in a chow line I discovered it was no longer on my belt. So this one too, is a replacement. Hunted a long time for one, until a friend sent me one in the mail. Totally unexpected, and totally enamored with this gift. Pretty gorgeous for 40+ years old!

P1030852_zpseufnzxsm.jpg

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
This thread inspired me to dig around my safe to rediscover the very knife (Camillus TL-29) you gentleman are speaking about..I've owned this knife for many years, it's older than I am and comes complete with the original lanyard and small carrying case. Thanks Captain O for starting this thread.

IMG_4256.JPG

WAYNO,
Nice gift! That is a "last run" Camillus (I can tell by the blade shape). Your friend cares about you, doesn't he?

Yep he does! He's a gun collector from upstate New York. On a different forum I frequent, we were talking about knives and things, and the topic of TL-29's came up. Not much more was said. The feller must've kept my address from deals we'd made in the past, as out of the clear blue, this knife was in my mail box. Gun collectors are some pretty stand-up people.

Last run? What does that mean?

WAYNO.

Camillus closed its USA foundry doors in 2007. Today, everything that carries the name is manufactured in the Far East. Our Camillus TL-29 knives were manufactured between 1989 and 2007.

These were a part of Camillus' "last run".

Camillus closed its USA foundry doors in 2007. Today, everything that carries the name is manufactured in the Far East. Our Camillus TL-29 knives were manufactured between 1989 and 2007.

These were a part of Camillus' "last run".

So how are they different from my Vietnam-era Camillus?

Tang stamp and steel composition. Camillus bought the Carbon V steel from Cold Steel and as a result, they produced a knife steel similar to Case's CV.

These take a great edge and are less likely to take the "wire edge" (rolled edge) as does stainless steel. While it requires a bit more attention (keeping it lubed and dry) it simply holds an edge longer than stainless steel. Colonial's 440A is fine, but it needs to be honed more frequently. (This is aside from the fact that Colonial's knife consists of Chinese steel).

Last Edited:
Most TL-29 knives are manufactured of either 1095 (.95% Carbon content) Carbon Steel or 440C Stainless Steel. Today, Colonial is manufacturing theirs from 440A (a lower carbon content) Stainless Steel. While these are less prone to corrosion, they are less "tenacious" when it comes to edge holding capabilities. These aren't "bad" knives, they just require sharpening more often.

Captain O,

That's a fantastic "get", at a very good price for a true-blue Camillus. Outstanding, simply outstanding.

I have two vintage ones and a Camco one (budget Camillus) ....... all USA made and excellent!

You guys made me post these photos...

P1030892_zpshle71bdo.jpg
The survival knife and the TL-29 were issued to my MOS field.

P1030893_zpse4lpvtyy.jpg
Ironically, this more recognized Army folder was never issued to us.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads