JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
drand's multiple or layered approach is a good model.

I started with a risk/crisis list based on my area, occupation and expectations.
Weather, Power outage, earthquake, train wreck full of chlorine...

On that list I map out if it's a bug out or hunker down sort of situation.
Sudden winter storm may be hunker down at work where your at, while a power out may be a bug out to home.

Also I layer kits. Start with Everyday carry. What's in your pockets?
Next is an office kit, kept at my desk. When I worked around chemical manufacturing I kept a face mask, food, a little water, space blanket, first aid, portable radio etc. Fits in the desk drawer.
Next is the car kit. Typical 72 hour kit, with a get home selection. If I have to abandon the vehicle, I have to be able to walk home. Jacket, hat, hiking shoes, map/compass, etc.
The bug out kit is at home. Need to be able to get there first.

Saw a you tube video of a fellow who had kits purposed for different events, a bug out kit and what he called an urban survival kit. Consider the USK what you would carry while searching through an urban zone. Collecting supplies, or rescuing survivors. Also he kept redundant gear in the kit expecting to find unprepared survivors that he could hand off an extra whistle or radio to. Interesting concepts.

Saw a you tube video of a fellow who had kits purposed for different events, a bug out kit and what he called an urban survival kit. Consider the USK what you would carry while searching through an urban zone. Collecting supplies, or rescuing survivors. Also he kept redundant gear in the kit expecting to find unprepared survivors that he could hand off an extra whistle or radio to. Interesting concepts.

Was that Nutnfancy's Urban Survival kit?

Best tip out of that video, Snickers bars. High calorie, small, tastes good.
Also, important things should be redundant.

I'm always surprised that more people don't include <broken link removed> in their bags (or similar products - Datrex, Mainstay, etc.) Lots of calories for their size, easy to portion out over the day or share with others, 5-year shelf life, not really affected by cold/heat, don't need to heat/cook them, don't need water, etc. These are designed to be lifeboat rations. Three of these on the bottom of your bag would equal enough calories for three days of whatever.

Those SOS food bars are similar the the ER Bars, Mayday bars, and Datrex rations. I keep one ration in my BOB, as well as some energy bars (similar in concept to the solid rations, but smaller), as well as some stuff that could be called actual food. The emergency ration bars don't taste too bad. The ER Bars have a floury aftertaste, but are otherwise palatable. Would like to dry some of the Mayday bars, as they are supposed to be better on the taste side of things.

Also, thought about adding survival food tabs as well. Those might be a nice alternative for a car kit. Build a "get home kit" with a little wiggle room.

Thinking about running with just the bivy bag cover portion of my modular sleep system. The heavier sleeping bag pieces are more than warm enough for conventional camping. I can pair the Gore-Tex bivy cover with a mylar/emergency/space sleeping bag for added comfort should things get crazy. I suppose for the most part, if I were to bug out, I would be hitting the woods... so, do I really need a tarp IF the bivy cover and emergency bag will work in a pinch? Particularly if I can construct a natural shelter?

One of these days, I would love to get an actual lightweight camping tarp/shelter system.

I pitched one flashlight in order for some weight savings... kept the LED light, as it was much brighter. I also have a red LED light/whistle combo that weighs nothing, and would be good in a pinch. I don't think it is all that durable, so it serves primarily as a whistle. Thought about pitching my ESBIT, and some of my other amenities... such as tea, and bouillon cubes, and keep it to a real 3 day disaster bag. BUT the stove can boil water, which has its own utility.

Thinking about running with just the bivy bag cover portion of my modular sleep system. The heavier sleeping bag pieces are more than warm enough for conventional camping. I can pair the Gore-Tex bivy cover with a mylar/emergency/space sleeping bag for added comfort should things get crazy. I suppose for the most part, if I were to bug out, I would be hitting the woods... so, do I really need a tarp IF the bivy cover and emergency bag will work in a pinch? Particularly if I can construct a natural shelter?

One of these days, I would love to get an actual lightweight camping tarp/shelter system.

I pitched one flashlight in order for some weight savings... kept the LED light, as it was much brighter. I also have a red LED light/whistle combo that weighs nothing, and would be good in a pinch. I don't think it is all that durable, so it serves primarily as a whistle. Thought about pitching my ESBIT, and some of my other amenities... such as tea, and bouillon cubes, and keep it to a real 3 day disaster bag. BUT the stove can boil water, which has its own utility.

Man-o-man, once when I was in my 30's I decided to prove how tough I was, hike the mountains of central California with just a gore-tex bivy sack and a pile sleeping bag liner. I wore everything I had to bed and still froze my a$$ off! Thanks no thanks, you can buy, as I did, a light weight bag under two pounds, sleep at night and enjoy yourself. The bivy sack will keep the weather, wind, snow & rain off but they just don't insulate worth a damm.

Ouch! That bad huh? I don't expect the bivy liner to keep me warm... just keep me dry! The space sleeping bag might do a little to help reflect heat, and keep me warmer. This is for emergency running, not ultralight backpacking, though I am reading up on that to get ideas for lightening the kit. Example: cutting out one of my flashlights. While some might argue that two is one, and one is none (and I understand this)... anywhere that I would be moving at night, is somewhere that has relatively decent lighting. Urban areas. I wouldn't hesitate to move under cover of darkness in an area like that. In that case, less light is my friend (red LED light)... but as I got out into my preferred area, moving at night wouldn't be so necessary, and I would be building a fire for localized light source anyway. I can give my mini-mag lite to my girlfriend for her own kit.

A plain old tarp is quite versatile... just off the top of my head, you could use one to collect a ton of rainwater... I wouldn't head into the woods without one, even if I had a separate shelter.

Ouch! That bad huh? I don't expect the bivy liner to keep me warm... just keep me dry! The space sleeping bag might do a little to help reflect heat, and keep me warmer. This is for emergency running, not ultralight backpacking, though I am reading up on that to get ideas for lightening the kit. Example: cutting out one of my flashlights. While some might argue that two is one, and one is none (and I understand this)... anywhere that I would be moving at night, is somewhere that has relatively decent lighting. Urban areas. I wouldn't hesitate to move under cover of darkness in an area like that. In that case, less light is my friend (red LED light)... but as I got out into my preferred area, moving at night wouldn't be so necessary, and I would be building a fire for localized light source anyway. I can give my mini-mag lite to my girlfriend for her own kit.

Check this site out.
<broken link removed>

"A plain old tarp is quite versatile"
-I would actually love to be able to buy a real lightweight camping tarp for shelter. Funds are low at the moment. I think Kelty makes some good ones. Key is effective, yet still light. Been taking hints from the ultralight backpacking sites. Fun trying to get the pack weight down, while still retaining extended bug out/survival utility. Going to give the setup a test run here in a week or so, just for fun.

That Recon2 bag looks like a hot ticket to me. Site doesn't say how much it weighs though. That crammed into my gore-tex bivy cover might be a nice combo. I could even layer in the survival sack into the Recon, and that into my bivy, and still not be adding a whole ton of weight to the pack.

Last Edited:
"A plain old tarp is quite versatile"
-I would actually love to be able to buy a real lightweight camping tarp for shelter. Funds are low at the moment. I think Kelty makes some good ones. Key is effective, yet still light. Been taking hints from the ultralight backpacking sites. Fun trying to get the pack weight down, while still retaining extended bug out/survival utility. Going to give the setup a test run here in a week or so, just for fun.

That Recon2 bag looks like a hot ticket to me. Site doesn't say how much it weighs though. That crammed into my gore-tex bivy cover might be a nice combo. I could even layer in the survival sack into the Recon, and that into my bivy, and still not be adding a whole ton of weight to the pack.

If you want the ultimate in backpacking on the cheap, inexpensive:s0114: get this book. Most libraries will have it or you can buy it new in book stores or anywhere they sell hiking gear. In it Colin Fletcher gives great everyday practical advice on any and everything related to camping/hiking and living out of a pack. One thing that struck a cord with me was the tarp system he used. I believe you would enjoy the reading and all the information in this book. Good luck
The Complete Walker IV (Paperback)
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walker-IV-Colin-Fletcher/dp/0375703233

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews