JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This might fall into the category of luxury, but I'm going to throw the thought out there of a pair of lightweight, small binoculars, and here's why. A bug out bag is intended to be mobile, but knowing what or more importantly, who, is coming can be very important. Plus the obvious use, for hunting.

I like your idea for putting your BOB out there for all to see and critique. You will always get more suggested items that you'll want to carry, so ultimately it's how many capabilities you want to have and comfortable you want to be. Good luck

A camp stove and camp light, ie SVEA 123 & carbide lamp. Stove uses unleaded gas and stove is about size of mug and a pint can of gas will last several days and warm the tent bone dry each morning. Carbide lamp about same size and 3 oz fuel will last for weeks. Lamp is camp match for cig's, reading the long hours of darkness including those manuals and diaries. Carbide + water = acetylene which burns very bright and hot, have 'miners lamp'.

A camp stove and camp light, ie SVEA 123 & carbide lamp. Stove uses unleaded gas and stove is about size of mug and a pint can of gas will last several days and warm the tent bone dry each morning. Carbide lamp about same size and 3 oz fuel will last for weeks. Lamp is camp match for cig's, reading the long hours of darkness including those manuals and diaries. Carbide + water = acetylene which burns very bright and hot, have 'miners lamp'.

Where would you get these carbide lanterns? Can this stove be converted to use alcohol?

SF-

"throw the thought out there of a pair of lightweight, small binoculars"
-I would prefer a monacular...smaller, and still get the magnification effect. Last I checked, they weren't cheap though :(

You might want to check these guys out: http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/

A friend of mine has the POSH 8x42 weaver with American "mil dot" reticle... that scope is built like a tank and for the price... wow! I am waiting for next pay day before I order mine! Their other optics look pretty good and they have 15 day money back policy if you don't like them. Worth a consideration.

SF-

I agree that keeping your gear dry is important, but not sure what you meant by saving weight by vacuum sealing. Stuff will still weigh the same in a vacuum sealed bag, just will be airtight. I use my food-saver to pack 1 quart sized bag with aspirin and ibuprofen, band-aids, spare lighter, and a few bags of tea.

Other than that, I have different sized water tight rafting bags that I use as a main compartment pack liner. They work great, as you can stuff all your crap into it, roll the top and clip closed to create an airtight seal, and everything will stay dry. You can also use your pack as a flotation device if you have to cross a body of water as it will have air trapped inside.

lol...sorry I ment that it will save ROOM by vacume sealing it...not weight.

I second the small monocular/binoculars.

My personal thoughts now is to dump the fishing/snare kit. While very small and light I have focused my BOB/Get Home Bag on three days, I carry lifeboat rations so I do have three days worth of food and therefore would not need to hunt or trap during three days (worst case I can go 3 days with no food).

At the same time I have a much larger SHTF kit that includes a large fishing kit and I am considering getting more trapping gear.

drand... From your statements I take it you have built multiple kits?
I need to make more than one, apparently... I need to make a basic one that I can toss in my car. The main BOB is sort of something between a 3 day get running kit, vs. a larger SHTF kit... something of an intermediate Bag. Trying to make it a jack of all trades emergency bag is a tough thing to do.

It is hard to make one bag or kit to do everything. I really have three sets of kit. I have tried to build this so that I can equip us best depending on time available and the situation. I have multiple redundancy built in and can lose one whole set of kit and basically be ok.

The first is a small survival kit, about twice the size of the classic Altoids kit. It contains the pure basics that I would need to survive over night outdoors. A heatsheet, small compass, signal mirror, matches, magnesium firestarter, tinder, water purification tablets, very small flashlight, very basic first aid kit, collapsible water bag, duct tape a short piece of 550 cord and a couple other small items all in a waterproof bag. I take this one any time I go hiking, backpacking or travel along with a knive and/or multi-tool. If the SHTF ths would never leave my side

Next I have what I consider my Get Home Bag. If for any reason I get stuck somewhere and have to walk home or have to bug out without my bigger kit. This is always in my car and normally not any farther than a few hundred yards from me. It is actually two different bags. The first is a waist pack with a much bigger survival kit than in the one that I list above with enough gear to keep me going for three days out doors. Everything is bigger and a little better quality; better compass, first aid kit, military canteen, canteen cup and stove, trioxane, fire starting gear, emergency bivy bag instead of heatsheet, adds a poncho etc. Then I have a backpack that adds a water filter, Costco jacket, food, a Gerber mini shovel (much smaller and lighter than a entrenching tool) bigger field knife, small binos, sunglasses, smoke grenade, signal flare, 8x10 tarp and $150 in $5s and $10s.

Finally I have what I think of as my bug out or SHTF kit. I think the chances of actually needing to bug out are low and if I have to will probably be able to do it via car so this kit is composed of 5 plastic foot locker sized containers, one large duffle bag, a dual fuel Coleman lamp and 20 gallons of water and 20 gallons of gas in 5 gallon cans. This can sustain my wife and I for 4 months.

The first container contains everything that we need for 10 days. 4 #10 cans of Mountain House, several individual Mountain House meals, MRE entrees and odds and ends for food. It also has water filters, cooking gear, plates, silverware, a flare gun, tent, entrenching tool, axe, collapsible saw, more firestarting gear, binoculars, maps of Oregon and a small US atlas, shaving kit for two, travel towels, emergency radio, USGI duffle, $500 dollars and many of the things that are listed above like knives, flashlights and a compass. The duffle bag contains two sleeping bags, a military issue bivy bag and two Thermarest mattresses. If I had to leave now these would be the things I would grab (along with my AR and go bag with a Glock and loaded mags) and I could be out of the house and on my way in three minutes.

If I have more time and space I then have three of the containers filled with dehydrated, freeze dried and canned food. Most of it is from the LDS cannery so it is rice, beans, dehydrated milk, apple and carrot slices, pancake mix, instant potatoes, powdered eggs, canned hams etc. It is enough calories to last the two of us for 4 months or can keep my in-laws and us up for a month.

The last container contains all of the nice to have stuff if the SHTF. Toilet seat, toilet paper, kerosene lanterns, lots of matches, batteries, more water filters, tarps, rope, 1000' 550 and other odds and ends that I think would be nice.

I have basically come up with this system in the last year after years of reading what everyone else is doing and what I thought would work best for me.

It is hard to make one bag or kit to do everything. I really have three sets of kit. I have tried to build this so that I can equip us best depending on time available and the situation. I have multiple redundancy built in and can lose one whole set of kit and basically be ok.

The first is a small survival kit, about twice the size of the classic Altoids kit. It contains the pure basics that I would need to survive over night outdoors. A heatsheet, small compass, signal mirror, matches, magnesium firestarter, tinder, water purification tablets, very small flashlight, very basic first aid kit, collapsible water bag, duct tape a short piece of 550 cord and a couple other small items all in a waterproof bag. I take this one any time I go hiking, backpacking or travel along with a knive and/or multi-tool. If the SHTF ths would never leave my side

Next I have what I consider my Get Home Bag. If for any reason I get stuck somewhere and have to walk home or have to bug out without my bigger kit. This is always in my car and normally not any farther than a few hundred yards from me. It is actually two different bags. The first is a waist pack with a much bigger survival kit than in the one that I list above with enough gear to keep me going for three days out doors. Everything is bigger and a little better quality; better compass, first aid kit, military canteen, canteen cup and stove, trioxane, fire starting gear, emergency bivy bag instead of heatsheet, adds a poncho etc. Then I have a backpack that adds a water filter, Costco jacket, food, a Gerber mini shovel (much smaller and lighter than a entrenching tool) bigger field knife, small binos, sunglasses, smoke grenade, signal flare, 8x10 tarp and $150 in $5s and $10s.

Finally I have what I think of as my bug out or SHTF kit. I think the chances of actually needing to bug out are low and if I have to will probably be able to do it via car so this kit is composed of 5 plastic foot locker sized containers, one large duffle bag, a dual fuel Coleman lamp and 20 gallons of water and 20 gallons of gas in 5 gallon cans. This can sustain my wife and I for 4 months.

The first container contains everything that we need for 10 days. 4 #10 cans of Mountain House, several individual Mountain House meals, MRE entrees and odds and ends for food. It also has water filters, cooking gear, plates, silverware, a flare gun, tent, entrenching tool, axe, collapsible saw, more firestarting gear, binoculars, maps of Oregon and a small US atlas, shaving kit for two, travel towels, emergency radio, USGI duffle, $500 dollars and many of the things that are listed above like knives, flashlights and a compass. The duffle bag contains two sleeping bags, a military issue bivy bag and two Thermarest mattresses. If I had to leave now these would be the things I would grab (along with my AR and go bag with a Glock and loaded mags) and I could be out of the house and on my way in three minutes.

If I have more time and space I then have three of the containers filled with dehydrated, freeze dried and canned food. Most of it is from the LDS cannery so it is rice, beans, dehydrated milk, apple and carrot slices, pancake mix, instant potatoes, powdered eggs, canned hams etc. It is enough calories to last the two of us for 4 months or can keep my in-laws and us up for a month.

The last container contains all of the nice to have stuff if the SHTF. Toilet seat, toilet paper, kerosene lanterns, lots of matches, batteries, more water filters, tarps, rope, 1000' 550 and other odds and ends that I think would be nice.

I have basically come up with this system in the last year after years of reading what everyone else is doing and what I thought would work best for me.

This is a fantastic model and very well thought out. I'll be building towards this with my family. Thank you.

-d

Drand-

The model you listed is very similar as to what I am doing except I am working from the end to the beginning. Monday, when I have more than an iPhone I will post my "load out" plan. This is a good disscussion and deserves the proper detail.

SF-

The more stuff you carry the more complicated it gets.

In a 3 day survival situation you need to stay warm/cool and hydrated, thats really about it. Here in the NW water isnt a big issue unless your not mobile, keeping warm can be difficult if your under dressed or wet.

I guess what I mean is you can survive for 3 days with an ounce of bleach, a cup or bottle, a couple of garbage bags and perhaps a sharp piece of glass or rock you'll do just fine if you keep your head on.

I think its more important to practice ideas in the back yard (and post pictures on here of course) than discuss which brand of campstove has the highest BTU output per ounce of fuel. IMHO

This is a great post drand...thanks for taking the time to type all this out

Just take a three-day weekend, and get your stuff, and go out into the woods. See how it goes. If it sucks, and you can't stand it, adjust your pack to include/exclude things as needed.
I got to WA last summer, and the first thing I did was take my pack and go out into the Pilchuck hills for three days. I adjusted my pack when I got back.
When I move back to VA next summer, I'll do it again.
Simple, right?
The thing I added to my pack was a ziploc bag full of paper towels. Tons of uses, and great for fires after you use them.
My bag has a canteen, metal canteen cup, 5" fixed-blade knife, Merino wool socks (three pairs), 550-cord, a micro-fleece blanket, fire starter, small first-aid kit, and some non-perishable food (Jerky/oatmeal). Pretty simple, right? The pack weighs less than 15 pounds, and I carry a pretty heavy load for the wheelgun, and I feel right at home in the mountains.

I agree that keeping your gear dry is important, but not sure what you meant by saving weight by vacuum sealing. Stuff will still weigh the same in a vacuum sealed bag, just will be airtight. I use my food-saver to pack 1 quart sized bag with aspirin and ibuprofen, band-aids, spare lighter, and a few bags of tea.

Other than that, I have different sized water tight rafting bags that I use as a main compartment pack liner. They work great, as you can stuff all your crap into it, roll the top and clip closed to create an airtight seal, and everything will stay dry. You can also use your pack as a flotation device if you have to cross a body of water as it will have air trapped inside.

where can I find one of these dry sacks?

Carbide lamp.wow I have not use one of them in forty years. They are ok, but they stink and the burn hazard is high. I would go with a headlamp. LED lamps are bright, and last for weeks instead of a few days.

I'd add light-weight woolen long underwear; you seem a little light on warm clothes. Being able to layer these with the pants, t-shirt, jacket, can add a lot of warmth for very little space and weight. Buying good, real-wool, lightweight long underwear may not be cheap, but it is worth it. Another benefit of wool is that it will still keep you warm when it is wet which can't be said for a lot of synthetic fibers.

Also, have you thought about to where you are most likely bugging out? When I lived in Seattle, I planned my bug out bag to get over the mountains on foot to family on the east side. So you may think of a few more items if you have a most likely route. If you think you may need to walk far, get some trekking poles. While some people laugh them off, they are an amazing aid to hiking, allowing you to go farther with heavier loads with less effort.

Wool is dead, polypro & pile are king today. Get a good pair of wool socks & a pair of polypro, soak them in water, wring them out and you decide which pair you would prefer wearing. The same with down, replace any item in your inventory with pile or one of the new synthetics, especially if you live in the PNW..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top