JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hope it's OK to post some pics here.

My 6.5-08 Imp. (AI)
.296 Neck, .188 Freebore
Savage Single Shot Target Action.
McMillan A5
Brux 8 twist, finished at 25.5"
Nightforce 12-42 56mm NXS, NP-R1
EGW rings and 20 MOA base
Harris Bi-pod

IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1200.jpg

The original plan was to have a switch barrel rifle based on a Savage Model 12 LRPV repeater action. For those who don't know, barrel changing on a Savage is pretty easy to say the least. The LRPV was originally a 223 Rem with a 26", 9 twist barrel in a HS Precision stock. I ordered two Brux barrels for the action, an 8 twist barrel for the 223AI and an 8 twist for the 6.5-08. Both were for 26 inch finish. Reamers are to my spec's from Pacific Tool and Gauge. A local smith did the chambering, threading, and crowning. After I would change out a barrel and bolt, I'd be ready to shoot either. The problem was that as easy as it is to change barrels, I didn't want to have to. That and there is no earthly way a loaded cartridge of of over 3" was going to load from the magazine. I broke down and got another single shot target action for the 6.5. Then I had to get the stock to put the barreled action in. The only thing you see in the pic's that is of the original plan is the barrel. Its a slippery slope my friends.

The 223 AI shoots remarkably well with little load work up so far. 80.5 gr. Berger Fullbore bullets and as much Varget as I can get into the case seem to work just fine. I fire form brass with H335. It blows the shoulder out nicely. I have to post a pic or two of it. Its more of a sleeper.

The 6.5-08 has been a bit more of a challenge to find a load for. It has a long freebore for the long 140 gr. class bullets. The Berger 140 gr. VLD did well as does the 140 gr. BT Target LR. I'm on a quest for a MV of around 2925 fps. That has been not so easy to achieve with such a short barrel. I'm working with RL-17, Ramshot Hunter and H4350. Last weekend I did try some 123 gr. Sierra MK's, the jury is still out. I'm crunching the numbers in QuickLoad. Part of the problem is the limited distance at the range I have, only 200 yards. It will shoot 1/2 MOA but I suspect bullet nutation is holding me up. I feel that at longer ranges MOA may shrink some.

B

For what it's worth, the Nosler 120g Ballistic Tip is of approximate length as most conventional 140g bullets. It shoots the very best out of my 6.5x55's. (Military guns twisted/throated for long bullets). Don't do any 6.5 testing without trying the often-overlooked 129g Hornady Interlok (best bullet I found for the Ruger 77 .264 Win that I had the throat reamed on). Conventional wisdom assigns it "just a hunting bullet", but it is more than that.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews