JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hope it's OK to post some pics here.

My 6.5-08 Imp. (AI)
.296 Neck, .188 Freebore
Savage Single Shot Target Action.
McMillan A5
Brux 8 twist, finished at 25.5"
Nightforce 12-42 56mm NXS, NP-R1
EGW rings and 20 MOA base
Harris Bi-pod

IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1200.jpg

The original plan was to have a switch barrel rifle based on a Savage Model 12 LRPV repeater action. For those who don't know, barrel changing on a Savage is pretty easy to say the least. The LRPV was originally a 223 Rem with a 26", 9 twist barrel in a HS Precision stock. I ordered two Brux barrels for the action, an 8 twist barrel for the 223AI and an 8 twist for the 6.5-08. Both were for 26 inch finish. Reamers are to my spec's from Pacific Tool and Gauge. A local smith did the chambering, threading, and crowning. After I would change out a barrel and bolt, I'd be ready to shoot either. The problem was that as easy as it is to change barrels, I didn't want to have to. That and there is no earthly way a loaded cartridge of of over 3" was going to load from the magazine. I broke down and got another single shot target action for the 6.5. Then I had to get the stock to put the barreled action in. The only thing you see in the pic's that is of the original plan is the barrel. Its a slippery slope my friends.

The 223 AI shoots remarkably well with little load work up so far. 80.5 gr. Berger Fullbore bullets and as much Varget as I can get into the case seem to work just fine. I fire form brass with H335. It blows the shoulder out nicely. I have to post a pic or two of it. Its more of a sleeper.

The 6.5-08 has been a bit more of a challenge to find a load for. It has a long freebore for the long 140 gr. class bullets. The Berger 140 gr. VLD did well as does the 140 gr. BT Target LR. I'm on a quest for a MV of around 2925 fps. That has been not so easy to achieve with such a short barrel. I'm working with RL-17, Ramshot Hunter and H4350. Last weekend I did try some 123 gr. Sierra MK's, the jury is still out. I'm crunching the numbers in QuickLoad. Part of the problem is the limited distance at the range I have, only 200 yards. It will shoot 1/2 MOA but I suspect bullet nutation is holding me up. I feel that at longer ranges MOA may shrink some.

B

For what it's worth, the Nosler 120g Ballistic Tip is of approximate length as most conventional 140g bullets. It shoots the very best out of my 6.5x55's. (Military guns twisted/throated for long bullets). Don't do any 6.5 testing without trying the often-overlooked 129g Hornady Interlok (best bullet I found for the Ruger 77 .264 Win that I had the throat reamed on). Conventional wisdom assigns it "just a hunting bullet", but it is more than that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top