JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can someone explain the benefits/seasons regarding muzzleloader hunting. I think I understand the mechanics of centerfire vs muzzleloading, but what access/season benefits do muzzleloaders have?

I'm considering trying out a new form of hunting to avoid pressure/crowds.

Thoughts anyone?

The benefits are there isn't may who do it so it's not usually crowded,some times ,depending on the state,you have a longer season or at a little better time,some states are either sex.
Probably more but I can't think of them right now.
Only down sides are trying to hunt wettern Wa/Or and keeping your powder dry and the 100-150 yard range.
But I bow hunt so a 100 yard shot is already too long

In Washington our muzzle loading season is longer.
Often you are open to any deer , any buck or any bull elk , where as modern rifle may limited.
Some areas are closed to modern rifle and open only to archery , shotgun or muzzle loading guns.

And as for me , hunting with one of my antique rifles or one of my traditional style guns , just feels better to me.
Sometimes the biggest trouble I have , is picking which gun ... :D
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

In a crowded state like Washington I did not find the huge benefits that I had hoped for in avoiding hunting pressure or crowds. I still find the woods pretty thick with hunters.

The spiritual benefits, if you will, are another matter. Being kind of an early American history nut I find slipping through the woods with a longrifle, shot pouch and horn full of powder to be extremely fulfilling.;)

The spiritual benefits, if you will, are another matter. Being kind of an early American history nut I find slipping through the woods with a longrifle, shot pouch and horn full of powder to be extremely fulfilling.;)
EXACTLY! It shouldn't be about 'benefits' but a respect and understanding for the tradition, history and challenge.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top