JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can someone explain the benefits/seasons regarding muzzleloader hunting. I think I understand the mechanics of centerfire vs muzzleloading, but what access/season benefits do muzzleloaders have?

I'm considering trying out a new form of hunting to avoid pressure/crowds.

Thoughts anyone?

The benefits are there isn't may who do it so it's not usually crowded,some times ,depending on the state,you have a longer season or at a little better time,some states are either sex.
Probably more but I can't think of them right now.
Only down sides are trying to hunt wettern Wa/Or and keeping your powder dry and the 100-150 yard range.
But I bow hunt so a 100 yard shot is already too long

In Washington our muzzle loading season is longer.
Often you are open to any deer , any buck or any bull elk , where as modern rifle may limited.
Some areas are closed to modern rifle and open only to archery , shotgun or muzzle loading guns.

And as for me , hunting with one of my antique rifles or one of my traditional style guns , just feels better to me.
Sometimes the biggest trouble I have , is picking which gun ... :D
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

In a crowded state like Washington I did not find the huge benefits that I had hoped for in avoiding hunting pressure or crowds. I still find the woods pretty thick with hunters.

The spiritual benefits, if you will, are another matter. Being kind of an early American history nut I find slipping through the woods with a longrifle, shot pouch and horn full of powder to be extremely fulfilling.;)

The spiritual benefits, if you will, are another matter. Being kind of an early American history nut I find slipping through the woods with a longrifle, shot pouch and horn full of powder to be extremely fulfilling.;)
EXACTLY! It shouldn't be about 'benefits' but a respect and understanding for the tradition, history and challenge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top