JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ah. My buddy tried to explain it to me by describing triggers that have a distinctive "wall" before the break, and those that don't and end up feeling like you're pulling the trigger forever. I can see now he was referring to the lack of feedback.

I don't know if lack of a "wall" is mushy. Could be. But I have a Ruger SR9c that does not have a wall and the trigger is just as firm as could be. It has a surprise break vs how a Glock can be staged by taking up some slack until it gets firmer (wall). I prefer the Glock trigger for target shooting but for self defense I don't think it matters.

I also prefer a SA trigger like you have on 1911s. My Para had a 2lb trigger with no slack or takeup.. nice and firm, crisp break, short pull (target pistol only). I've shot some old Govt Model 1911s and would think of them as mushy because the pull was not firm and had a longer pull with some takeup, which I don't like.

The worst mushy triggers I have found were on SA/DA actions since the (initial) pull is sooooo long and often soft and has takeup. IMO very few DA revolvers are mushy, but some DAO pistols might be. Cheapo firearms could be too.

I had several Remington 700 rifles that had crisp triggers that I loved. So sad to hear about all the accidental discharge criticisms. I never had an AD with the four 700s that I owned. To me, the old Springfield rifles had mushy triggers. Lots of takeup, no firmness (soft pull) and a surprise break. (Many people prefer a surprise break, just not me.)

Last Edited:
I've got a WW2 Remington Rand 1911 and even after a gunsmith worked on the trigger a bit, it does feel mushy.
I don't know how to describe it exactly, other then there is no lead up to a break, or any staging effects like some of my other 1911's.
It's just a mushy trigger until it fires. No snap, crackle or pop, just mush for a bit and then boom.

Last Edited:
Webster may save us:

Definition of mushy

1a
: having the consistency of mush : soft
b : lacking in definition or precision
2 : excessively tender or emotional; especially : mawkishly amorous

Gotta watch out for you mawkishly amorous firearms nuts!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top