JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is likely old news to you Multnomah folks, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

When I approached the entrance, I noticed that a prominent message on the door indicates that "Civilians" may not bring weapons into the building.

I understand their concern about the general population entering with weapons but the word "civilian" caught my attention.

I wasn't aware that military personnel really frequent the building often enough to necessitate this wording.

Or do local law enforcement personnel not consider themselves civilians?

Maybe I had too much sugar that day?

I think they should use different wording but they could make an argument it's correct. It's inconsistent with the definition used in treaties where they define military and civilian. They aren't members of the military.

The origins of the word actually means "of civil law". It was used to refer to civil servants which include police.

Many dictionaries specifically exclude police and firemen from the definition of a civilian. I'd blame that on the evolution of our language.

I would like to point that if you have a CHL, and as there are no court facilities at MCSO, that they do not have the authority to regulate firearms in their building.

You just recently noticed that?

Over the last two decades civilian law enforcement has militarized itself and now feels that they lord over lowly "civlians".

I hate to be anti-leo, but things have changed considerably in my lifetime. When I was a kid cops were your friends. They resolved problems without arresting everyone in sight or becoming violent. If they had to break up a couple of kids fighting, it could be done without giving everyone in sight a criminal record.

These days, it is different. It seems we are all criminals or soon to be criminals and they are above the law,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and quite humorless about it.

You just recently noticed that?

Over the last two decades civilian law enforcement has militarized itself and now feels that they lord over lowly "civlians".

I hate to be anti-leo, but things have changed considerably in my lifetime. When I was a kid cops were your friends. They resolved problems without arresting everyone in sight or becoming violent. If they had to break up a couple of kids fighting, it could be done without giving everyone in sight a criminal record.

These days, it is different. It seems we are all criminals or soon to be criminals and they are above the law,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and quite humorless about it.

you hit it exactly.. now a days, the cops attitude is Us against them(the general public)

That's why i like Washington County. The lady in the concealed handgun office in the sheriff's dept told me I was "one of the good guys" and "happy people like me are carrying." Made me all warm and fuzzy. I will point out that it was sorta in response to her appraisal of my DD214...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top