JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone purchased a MP5 clone? What brand? How do you like it? Zenith? Omega? POF? Some other? I'm kinda liking the Zenith models.

You thoughts are required.

E

Has anyone purchased a MP5 clone? What brand? How do you like it? Zenith? Omega? POF? Some other? I'm kinda liking the Zenith models.

You thoughts are required.

E
I have a Zenith. It's really well made and runs well. It was a little picky about ammo at first, but I recently put 300 rounds through it without cleaning it just to see what would happen. It never missed a beat. I probably could have gone longer but it was so dirty I just couldn't put it back in the safe like that. It turns heads every time I bring it out and people absolutely love shooting it. That very much includes me! :)

I recently got rid of a PTR-91-32R which is a Pistol PTR-91 in 7.62x39 cal. I added a Ar15 buffer tube and thorsden customs cheekrest because as a pistol aiming was difficult with no stock/alternative. Probably shouldnt have gotten rid of it but life goes on. It ran great never an issue.
I also have a MPX gen2 which is the modern equivalent to the MP5. Its amazing, low recoil, easy to breakdown and clean, very accurate, smooth reliable action, the only down side is no side charging handle, its the AR style ambi charging handle, it has BHO so no recharging between mags.
I personally wouldnt buy the zenith over an MPX, but maybe a H&K SP89 at the right price. H&K mags are super expensive, people say the same thing about MPX mags but Sig has them cheap on their website currently, so I ordered 30.
Before I got the MPX I was looking at getting the Zenith, its just the MPX crossed my path sooner. Im glad it did.

I have compared the Zenith to the HK SP-5. Curt's had one of each awhile back, right when the SP-5 was released.

The HK is a little nicer in fit and finish. Even welds, crisp lettering, stuff like that. But you would have to have them both in front of you at the same time to tell the difference.

And even then you had to look real hard. The bolts look the same to the naked eye.

Coharie Armes MP5/HK94. Well built and I have not had a single problem.

upload_2017-10-28_9-59-16.jpeg

Coharie Armes MP5/HK94. Well built and I have not had a single problem.

View attachment 400954

Coharie has been defunct for several years now and was one of the many Todd Bailey business re-brands. Other business names he ran under were Bobcat and Special Weapons.

The firearms he produced had a reputation of either working really well or being a never ending problem child. It was apparently a roll of the dice when you purchased one of his firearms. It's good to hear that yours runs well.

Omega is actually produced by Todd's brother Wade Bailey and are exclusive to Atlantic Firearms. Having them tied to Atlantic is the only reason that I am considering Omega.

E

Coharie has been defunct for several years now and was one of the many Todd Bailey business re-brands. Other business names he ran under were Bobcat and Special Weapons.

The firearms he produced had a reputation of either working really well or being a never ending problem child. It was apparently a roll of the dice when you purchased one of his firearms. It's good to hear that yours runs well.

Omega is actually produced by Todd's brother Wade Bailey and are exclusive to Atlantic Firearms. Having them tied to Atlantic is the only reason that I am considering Omega.

E

The thing I like about it. Is they used a real three lug MP5 barrel with a pinned and welded extension. "IF", for any reason I would remove the extension I still have a real 3 lug barrel.

The thing I like about it. Is they used a real three lug MP5 barrel with a pinned and welded extension. "IF", for any reason I would remove the extension I still have a real 3 lug barrel.

Omega has the same feature on the carbine model. They attach a fake suppressor as a barrel extension that can be removed once you get your SBR stamp.

Omega also already has the correct number of 922r parts where with Zenith I would have to swap out some of the factory parts for U.S. made parts if I were to go the SBR route.

E

Last Edited:
I've got an Omega. It's a solid, well built, gun. I put a surefire handguard on it and have filed a Form 1 on it. I trust it enough that it is my "nightstand" gun. Everyone that has shot mine really likes it.

7676001978.jpg

I recently got rid of a PTR-91-32R which is a Pistol PTR-91 in 7.62x39 cal. I added a Ar15 buffer tube and thorsden customs cheekrest because as a pistol aiming was difficult with no stock/alternative. Probably shouldnt have gotten rid of it but life goes on. It ran great never an issue.
I also have a MPX gen2 which is the modern equivalent to the MP5. Its amazing, low recoil, easy to breakdown and clean, very accurate, smooth reliable action, the only down side is no side charging handle, its the AR style ambi charging handle, it has BHO so no recharging between mags.
I personally wouldnt buy the zenith over an MPX, but maybe a H&K SP89 at the right price. H&K mags are super expensive, people say the same thing about MPX mags but Sig has them cheap on their website currently, so I ordered 30.
Before I got the MPX I was looking at getting the Zenith, its just the MPX crossed my path sooner. Im glad it did.

Oh yeah? Well Sig MPX wasn't in Die Hard. :D

E

MP5 is not worth it.

I'm waiting for their promised rebuttal video.

I'm glad you are happy with your MPX and I'm sure it' a fine firearm, but here's my problem with it...............it looks too much like an AR platform.
I shoot for fun, and call me a firearm attention whore if you must, but I like firearms that stand out from the crowd.

I am currently retrofitting a 91 platform rifle into a HK-11 LMG clone. No one mistakes it for a AR and it has that Cold War era vibe to it. I found a original HK 1000 meter sight last week and now I'm on the hunt for the heavy buffer. I find it kinda cool unwrapping surplus parts and magazines that have been in storage for decades, sometimes still new and with factory seals. I'm guessing that the MPX isn't there yet to where surplus parts are available.
hk11e.jpg

The MP5 is iconic and like a moth to a flame, that is what draws me to it. The MPX, for all its positives, will never be able to make that claim, and sadly, will not make this year's Christmas list.

2017-11-07-05-26-01-.jpg

E

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR