JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like the title says, I'm moving to southern California (Riverside County) next year and I'm curious to see it'll be alright to bring my firearms. I currently own a 9mm handgun and a 12g HD shotgun. Will I have any problems bringing them to my new residence? I'm sorry if this has been talked about before, I couldn't find anything by searching. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. thanks in advance:)

Hmm.. not sure if this is considered an across state lines transfer and needs to go through an FFL or not. I've never moved across a state line so I have no experience with it.

you need to check if your 9mm is on the "prohibited" list or "good to go list"; especially if its got high capacity magazines. as for the shotgun, I see no problems with it; unless its got some "evil features" if its imported/Saiga type but honestly; I don't see a problem?

You need to go to the CA state DOJ web site and read for your self the requirements

As said above your Pistol has to be one listed on the approved list. No Mags over 10 rounds. When my son registered his Pistol which he bought while home on leave at Christmas the fee was $19.00 BE sure you download the form and have it headed their way as you move. His was rejected twice for minor errors and each time you submit the form it costs $19.00.

The shotgun I believe can not have a pistol grip but read up on the Dept of Justice web site to be sure

you need to check if your 9mm is on the "prohibited" list or "good to go list";

As said above your Pistol has to be one listed on the approved list.

No, that's incorrect. The "safe handgun registry" applies only to new handguns sold in the state. He can take his current handgun to California. As a matter of fact, if there are handguns that he wants to own that are banned in California - like Gen 4 Glocks, HK45, XDm - he should buy them before he moves.

You will have to register your handguns with a $19 fee for each. See New California Residents - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General for advice about moving to California with firearms.

You can't take intact magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, but you can take the magazines apart and take them with you because then they are classified as "magazine rebuild kits". Just don't put them back together while in California.

Register at Calguns.net - Powered by vBulletin it's a good source of information.

California is like another country when it comes to gun laws. Get out of there as soon as you can.

Just left Riverside and the state after 26 years. Moved to Colorado and what a joy. People actually like guns out here. They even advertise on the TV. Bought my first one right over the counter and walked out same day. Done with CA and happy!

I go there frequently on business, grew-up nearby. Depending on where is Riverside Co, you may need them. Be careful down there.

Travel unloaded with ammo in separate area, guns in truck, ammo in car or something like that. You will have no problems bringing them.

Like the title says, I'm moving to southern California (Riverside County) next year and I'm curious to see it'll be alright to bring my firearms. I currently own a 9mm handgun and a 12g HD shotgun. Will I have any problems bringing them to my new residence? I'm sorry if this has been talked about before, I couldn't find anything by searching. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. thanks in advance:)

Hope the reason for the move is compelling because my initial thought to the thread title was "my condolensces".

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top