JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well Mr Toad's wild ride is taking another turn..WA to AZ to WA and now AK (Anchorage area). Received an offer that I cannot refuse.

Looking for suggestions on relo. If I can swing it, I plan on taking both vehicles (Tundra and Forester) up via Ferry (having some difficulty deciphering schedule and whether I can get to port with highway to Anchorage) leaving Bellingham. As I have a lot of "tools" that I cannot transport through Canada without becoming a evil criminal, I am limited to shipping to myself or transporting in my vehicle. I have offered relocation expense pkg with my new work and will be shipping my household goods via moving company.

Have two dogs and two cats that I need to transport as well. Any suggestions or experiences greatly appreciated!

Thanks and good shooting to you!

No real advice. Well, easily one of the craziest women I ever dated was a platinum blonde from Juneau. Hopefully her state of origin was just a coincidence. :eek:

What kind of work do you do, if you care to share? Maybe I can jump in! I kind of need an extreme excuse to make that move, too. But I have not really experienced Wash yet.

Can you not ship your 'tools' with the moving company, or are they driving, which would mean going through Canada? If you have an enclosed trailer, you can attach it to your Tundra on the ferry, this is what I would do.

If your "tools" go bang, it looks like the Alaska State Ferry that goes up the inside passage out of Bellingham allows transport under certain conditions identified on their website. You would have to determine if you are comfortable transporting your "tools" on the Alaska state ferry under the rules. I am sure people are traveling with pets, but based on the website it looks like they are restricted to the car deck and you are only allowed limited access to the while sailing. Something to consider how they would do in this scenario vs. a quicker trip on a plane.

I went up to Alaska in 2007 on my motorcycle with a couple of buddies, leaving out of Bellingham on the ferry and got off in Haines or Skagway (we didn't go all the way to Anchorage). We spent two or three nights on the ferry on the way up, slept on the back deck on lounge chairs in our sleeping bags. It was a nice way to travel up and see some beautiful scenery. I remember waking up and seeing glaciers going by....Vehicles are down below, not sure of the security (we didn't have any problems with anyone messing with our bikes or gear that we were carrying).

I wanted to take a handgun along for protection, as we were traveling through western Canada and Alaska for a month and camping most every night. However, going through Canada with a handgun was not advised. Had bear near our camps on a couple of occasions, which made me wish that I had brought a gun! But we were OK. AK is beautiful, enjoy it!

If your "tools" go bang, it looks like the Alaska State Ferry that goes up the inside passage out of Bellingham allows transport under certain conditions identified on their website. You would have to determine if you are comfortable transporting your "tools" on the Alaska state ferry under the rules. I am sure people are traveling with pets, but based on the website it looks like they are restricted to the car deck and you are only allowed limited access to the while sailing. Something to consider how they would do in this scenario vs. a quicker trip on a plane.

I went up to Alaska in 2007 on my motorcycle with a couple of buddies, leaving out of Bellingham on the ferry and got off in Haines or Skagway (we didn't go all the way to Anchorage). We spent two or three nights on the ferry on the way up, slept on the back deck on lounge chairs in our sleeping bags. It was a nice way to travel up and see some beautiful scenery. I remember waking up and seeing glaciers going by....Vehicles are down below, not sure of the security (we didn't have any problems with anyone messing with our bikes or gear that we were carrying).

I wanted to take a handgun along for protection, as we were traveling through western Canada and Alaska for a month and camping most every night. However, going through Canada with a handgun was not advised. Had bear near our camps on a couple of occasions, which made me wish that I had brought a gun! But we were OK. AK is beautiful, enjoy it!
Would you have been able to sneak said handgun?

Probably not. The three times I have crossed from the US into Canada on my MC, traveling with a couple buddies on bikes, we have been checked over pretty closely by the Canada border agents. It has been over 10 years though, so I don't know the current situation, or if there is less scrutiny if you are in a car or truck rather than traveling on motorcycles in a group.

Can you take trailers on the ferries your thinking on?

If so, buy a couple suitable for the tow rigs, load up all of your "tools" & such. Simple reasonable security: job box(s). Load accordingly & drive sensibly when not ferrying.

Mayhaps sell the trailers once up there?

Well Mr Toad's wild ride is taking another turn..WA to AZ to WA and now AK (Anchorage area). Received an offer that I cannot refuse.

Looking for suggestions on relo. If I can swing it, I plan on taking both vehicles (Tundra and Forester) up via Ferry (having some difficulty deciphering schedule and whether I can get to port with highway to Anchorage) leaving Bellingham. As I have a lot of "tools" that I cannot transport through Canada without becoming a evil criminal, I am limited to shipping to myself or transporting in my vehicle. I have offered relocation expense pkg with my new work and will be shipping my household goods via moving company.

Have two dogs and two cats that I need to transport as well. Any suggestions or experiences greatly appreciated!

Thanks and good shooting to you!

Lucky dog!

Contact the Alaska Marine Highway System and ask your questions:

Ask what temperature the car deck is kept at if you are going in winter. Animals may need some blankets or old sleeping bags if it's cold. Bring lots of bags, scoops for poop.

Keep an eye on the weather. Anchorage temps aren't nearly as cold as Fairbanks and the interior, but they're still cool - single digits on some nights right now:

Check temperature range of fluids in your car - anti-freeze, oil, etc.

Make sure belts/hoses are good - they get brittle when cold. In Fairbanks, first time it hits -30 each year you'll see lots of vehicles stranded with broken fan belts.

Back in the 70s, low temperature wheel bearing grease was needed in Fairbanks, not sure about Anchorage.
Have good car batteries, and I'd put a battery blanket or heating plate on it. In Fairbanks you need a circulation pump with heater to keep engine block warm, not sure about Anchorage, but it would be easier on the engine to start it with warmer oil. Studded tires are useful in winter.

Have enough blankets/sleeping bags/coats to survive the night if you get stranded.

On getting your tools up there, ask if the ferry travels to a port connected to the highways at the time you'll be going. Looks like maybe not in the winter. Valdez will put you on a good road but may only go there in the summer - ditto for Seward. Once you get settled in, take the ferry from Seward (or was it Whittier?) to Valdez with your vehicle and drive back to Anchorage - beautiful trip.

If can't get tools up there on the ferry, consider a separate trip on a plane just for that purpose.

Get good down parkas if going to be up there in winter. Also, take a heater for emergency heat - Mr. Buddy or similar with a can or 2 of fuel. Probably cheaper to buy here.

They've been known to have big earthquakes there - so don't live right next to the ocean in case of Tsunami, ditto for steep slopes.

Enjoy and good luck!

Last Edited:
What kind of work do you do, if you care to share? Maybe I can jump in! I kind of need an extreme excuse to make that move, too. But I have not really experienced Wash yet.

Can you not ship your 'tools' with the moving company, or are they driving, which would mean going through Canada? If you have an enclosed trailer, you can attach it to your Tundra on the ferry, this is what I would do.

Operational Technology (SCADA/PLC/NETWORKING/SECUIRTY) kind of specialized.. Once you have the experience, a cherry of a job pops up in a cool place.

Found ferry is out as the next available taking me to anywhere close to where I am going is in May. Going to ship one vehicle, drive another through Canada, and ship my firearms to myself care of a friend. Household goods getting shipped separately..

Operational Technology (SCADA/PLC/NETWORKING/SECUIRTY) kind of specialized.. Once you have the experience, a cherry of a job pops up in a cool place.

Found ferry is out as the next available taking me to anywhere close to where I am going is in May. Going to ship one vehicle, drive another through Canada, and ship my firearms to myself care of a friend. Household goods getting shipped separately..
Sounds like an interesting job, and nothing I know about. I wonder if ferries even venture in the winters? All-in-all, good luck!

Purchase some really good cold weather clothing before you go. Not just a pair of mittens and a stocking cap.
Got plenty of OR gear, a Parka that I was sweating in at -5deg, and lots of insulation provided by starchy foods and sitting in a chair for the last 25yrs of my career.. ;)

Got plenty of OR gear, a Parka that I was sweating in at -5deg, and lots of insulation provided by starchy foods and sitting in a chair for the last 25yrs of my career.. ;)

My son is stationed in Alaska now. The stock of his M4 froze to his cheek during range time and peeled a piece of skin off when he pulled it off. It gets waaay colder than -5.

Be sure you have block heaters installed in your vehicles before you go.

It's going to be -34 in Fairbanks tonight.

My son is stationed in Alaska now. The stock of his M4 froze to his cheek during range time and peeled a piece of skin off when he pulled it off. It gets waaay colder than -5.

Be sure you have block heaters installed in your vehicles before you go.

It's going to be -34 in Fairbanks tonight.
Thanks

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads