JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a little partial to just leaving some in the safe, and having the movers take it. Seems like it'd be hard to loose the safe, but I'm not sure if the insurance would cover it if it did disappear.

It's either that, or pack them w/ and instead pack the safe with accessories.

Anyone have movers do a long distance move, and take the guns with?

I'm a little partial to just leaving some in the safe, and having the movers take it. Seems like it'd be hard to loose the safe, but I'm not sure if the insurance would cover it if it did disappear.

Just my .02¢ but it'd be a cold day in H*LL b4 I EVER let any guns get out of sight like that!
Wreck-theft-fire-alien abduction- etc-etc

Dan

We are looking at this as well.

we're looking into Pods for moving. Seems a little safer, but still not having possession seems sketchy.
Having to ship many firearms would be really expensive.
and driving across country with a bunch of firearms may be trouble

So you an move your own Firearms and ammo but how do you keep it secure?
I have a trailer I might take across country but it's not secure, and I'm not carting a ton of ammo and firearms in and out of hotels each night.

We are looking at this as well.

we're looking into Pods for moving. Seems a little safer, but still not having possession seems sketchy.
Having to ship many firearms would be really expensive.
and driving across country with a bunch of firearms may be trouble

I don't think Pods will knowingly move guns and I know they won't knowingly move ammo.

Also Pods are not metal sided shipping containers - they are plastic on at least some of the sides. Easy to break into.

We just moved from Oregon to Minnesota. I packed all the ammo in the Uhaul at the very back where it would not have been easy to get to. Then pulled the ignition fuse of the Uhaul at the hotel. All the guns I hauled into the hotel. I researched all my options and since we were going through gun friendly states I wasn't too worried. It worked out well. The drive wasn't too bad either. Best of luck with your move! :)

<edit> Nothing worse than someone who doesn't fully comprehend the point the OP was actually making... A MOVER, not MOVING it yourself... so, this is really worthless for you, just a tale of what I did...:oops: </edit>

Actually have done this. My opinion:

1) Don't look like you're carrying. Lots of trucks and trailers out there; "Ah, guns!" is not the first thing that comes to mind. So make sure there are no visual hints.

2) Pack it so that even if someone does target it they'll have to work to get to the good stuff. I packed it behind a huge and heavy china cabinet.

3) Don't be cheap - stay in places/areas that don't typically have break ins, etc. Security is best.

4) Even with the above, park so it (either truck or trailer) can't be entered/detached without moving the vehicle.

5) Secure the vehicle - I used a Club on the steering wheel.

Someone above mentioned fully disabling the vehicle. That is GREAT advice, better than a Club.

All the best in your move!

Nope As a rule, movers don't want to move guns and if you sneak them past the movers by hiding them in the safe YOU are still liable for any damage to the guns i.e. The movers drop the safe off the back of their van and wreck it, they'll pay for the safe but your tiger-stripe stocked M1A that got folded in half with your Korth revolver wrapped around its barrel is your hard luck.

With that in mind...
When we started the moving process I got a small POD and loaded that with books and furniture reloading components (brass and bullets) and shipped that off to storage. The weekend after I retired, I drove up with a load of guns ammo and met guys from Sleep Train delivering twin beds (which are now in our guest room but at that time were the only furniture in the house) then met the Liberty safe guy in my garage the morning after I arrived to have him install a 30 gun safe, bolted to the floor etc. I loaded those guns into said safe, parked the car in the garage, unplugged the garage door motors and drove back to the PRK in a U-Haul van. (It was half the price of renting a truck there driving it up one-way!) I loaded that truck with the bulk of my ammo (about 2 tons) and reloading machines and drove that back up here with my sister in law who lives in Spokane, that was dicey with that van loaded over capacity but we got here and piled all the ammo in the garage. Packed Sis in law off to Spokane with great gratitude for her tremendous help then I flew back south where we loaded up Dear wife's car and the RV with the rest of my guns and the dregs of my ammo and had the movers bring my big safe and the furniture.
Movers arrived 2 days after we did and unloaded the goods, I had Liberty safe guy come back out to nail the big safe to the floor put the rest of the guns in that. Once we got the moving van stuff sorted out, I had the POD dropped in the driveway and unloaded that in 1 day to get that off our driveway and out of my wallet and then spent the next couple years remodeling and getting the house the way we want and enjoying life in the PNW

Then, after all that ... Effing COVID:rolleyes:

Re Uhaul Security at a hotel couldn't u just put a battery powered ring camera in the uhaul then u would know instantly if anyone broke in cuz you would get an alert to ur phone and could see video in real time. Connect it to hotel WiFi. Or maybe add a short term cell phone line for a cell phone based motion camera (I'm not familiar with those but I know they exist).

Last Edited:
Nope As a rule, movers don't want to move guns and if you sneak them past the movers by hiding them in the safe YOU are still liable for any damage to the guns i.e. The movers drop the safe off the back of their van and wreck it, they'll pay for the safe but your tiger-stripe stocked M1A that got folded in half with your Korth revolver wrapped around its barrel is your hard luck.

With that in mind...
When we started the moving process I got a small POD and loaded that with books and furniture reloading components (brass and bullets) and shipped that off to storage. The weekend after I retired, I drove up with a load of guns ammo and met guys from Sleep Train delivering twin beds (which are now in our guest room but at that time were the only furniture in the house) then met the Liberty safe guy in my garage the morning after I arrived to have him install a 30 gun safe, bolted to the floor etc. I loaded those guns into said safe, parked the car in the garage, unplugged the garage door motors and drove back to the PRK in a U-Haul van. (It was half the price of renting a truck there driving it up one-way!) I loaded that truck with the bulk of my ammo (about 2 tons) and reloading machines and drove that back up here with my sister in law who lives in Spokane, that was dicey with that van loaded over capacity but we got here and piled all the ammo in the garage. Packed Sis in law off to Spokane with great gratitude for her tremendous help then I flew back south where we loaded up Dear wife's car and the RV with the rest of my guns and the dregs of my ammo and had the movers bring my big safe and the furniture.
Movers arrived 2 days after we did and unloaded the goods, I had Liberty safe guy come back out to nail the big safe to the floor put the rest of the guns in that. Once we got the moving van stuff sorted out, I had the POD dropped in the driveway and unloaded that in 1 day to get that off our driveway and out of my wallet and then spent the next couple years remodeling and getting the house the way we want and enjoying life in the PNW

Then, after all that ... Effing COVID:rolleyes:

wow sir, 2 tons, I need to make friends lol

When we moved back to Oregon from out East a few years ago I bought a diamond metal tool box for my rig and hard cased my firearms in that driving from Ohio. Put the ammo in 30 cal cases in the cab. Stayed in Residence Inns with the Pyrenees...not a problem.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top