JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I'm thinking of selling my Glock 35 and moving to an STI 2011 type gun. A guy I know is selling a Brazos Custom gun. Thoughts from guys who've shot and competed with both would be appreciated. Thank you

a dig at plastic guns in general, mostly competed with 1911's in the past. Getting back to it I do plan on an eaa witness, from my research one of the best bang for your buck comp guns out there.

heard a lot of good things about the STI guns, but you never know how much is generated hype.

Yea that's true. For me it was cheap. I built a pretty sweet limited gun for just over $1200. But I shot an sti last weekend. And I think that's the way to go for me. But everything is twice as much $$$

Limited or Open gun?

USPSA is a big game. Things that you can do to help your game are a good thing. For Limited a 2011 is what most of the M and GM shooters use. For Open a 2011 is what ALL of the M and GM shooters use (yeah there are a few exceptions, but not many).

Brazos makes REALLY nice 2011's. So if you can get one for cheap, jump on it. Mags are expensive, but I can hold 21+1 in a USPSA legal 140mm mag. How many rounds can you get in your limited Glock and be USPSA legal? Many 2011 parts are the same as 1911 parts, so cost on many items isn't that bad.

If you are looking for a really good 2011 gun smith that is also a GM shooter: Talk with Rob Shepard Shepherd Home.html

So in short if you have the $$$ go 2011. If you don't like it I'm sure you could sell it for about what you paid or more since you posted you can get it for cheap.

Thanks for the info. Yea I'm talking about limited division. Not quite ready in the finances dept to get into open yet.
But a guy I know has a Brazos Custom for sale for 2/3 the cost of a new one. Has less than 1,000 rounds on it. I know mags are expensive. And another holster too. But after feeling the gun and dry firing it, I think it's time to abandon the plastic gun and go to a 2011.
Right now in my glock 35 I hold 20+1. So the mag difference won't be hardly anything. But I think recoil will be slightly less. Im going to shoot it tomorrow to make sure it's something I want. But I have a feeling ill be making a change

Well the 2011 still has a plastic lower, so you still have your plastic (just not Glock plastic). :)

I forgot to mention ammo. I run 200gr loaded long (mag length), something like 1.20". This to me makes a softer shooting major load. COAL in 2011s is much greater than in most any other 40 cal. Thus I started reloading......there is no end to the madness!

I've got a reloading set up. Just need components. But for now I have a few thousand rounds of factory ammo to use.

See I thought a 2011 has a steel or alloy frame, not a plastic one.

Pretty nice. Shot same hole groups at 10 yards. Transitions are easier too. One thing to get used to is the change in grip angle. Major difference. But overall it's a sweet shooter and I think it's the way to go

I have both and shoot them about the same. There is no question about the one I like more though. It is the 2011. : ) Even if I shot the Glock better than the 2011, I'd reach for the 2011 more often than not just because I love it.

Check out EAA Witness aka Tanfoglio. I was considering this exact move when someone introduced me to the Tanfoglio. Immediately fell in love. Found an almost new Limited .40 for around $1000. All steel gun, and the .40 recoil is very low.

By frame you mean the drop in metal parts, kinda like a Glock, XDM, M&P? :D

Nope. Frame on a 2011 would be the metal part that the slide slides on and the grip frame attaches to.
It has the 2011 logo, serial number, and carries most of the fire control components.

Nope. Frame on a 2011 would be the metal part that the slide slides on and the grip frame attaches to.
It has the 2011 logo, serial number, and carries most of the fire control components.

The metal part on my XDM is held in with pins, as are all of the other parts in my plastic frame. I think there is a difference without a distinction here or the distinction is akin to splitting hairs. I've seen the prints for the 2011 frame, its not much bigger that a roll of dimes, even thought about making one except for there are some tricky dimensions in there, which is why most of them are two halves welded together.

I still think that the "tupperware" guns are the wave of the future for many reasons other than the pure volume that are coming into the shooting sports with first time shooters.

At my matches I've never seen a Glock jam. But I have seen 1911 pattern guns jam--often. I'm including the 2011's. The price difference is greater than just the price difference between platforms. The best shooters also do extensive work to get their guns to run 100%.

Jarhead, you noticed that your G35 was recoiling more than a 2011? Were you shooting factory ammo out of both? Did you reload your 40 ammo for 170PF? Most factory 40 is at least 180PF.

I like 180gr factory ammo. Seems to recoil less than 165. I just bought a few thousand 180gr bullets to reload. So far I have yet to shoot reloaded ammo through it. I have had malfunctions with my glock. One was mag induced and the other was the slide lock spring moved above one of the pins causing it to lock back after every shot. But other than that it has been very reliable

The 2011 is superior to the Glock in almost every way (and I have both). The question is whether it is worth the big jump in price. If you are competing with it, I say it is. That is what the 2011's are made for. The Glock reliability is a myth. All semi autos malfunction at some point, Glocks definitely included, although I would agree you see problems with the tight competition guns more often. 2011's are meant for competition and tuning to squeeze out every bit of performance. Glocks are designed for a lower common denominator both in perfomance and level of abillity of the user. I'm not bashing Glocks, they are excellent at what they were designed to do, but for what you are doing, I think the 2011's are better. Prepare to do some work on it though, but to me that is part of the fun. I think your accuracy will improve if you make the switch.

EDIT: I should amend that first sentence with a "for competition", because for carry, I would say the Glock is superior in almost every way. Also, I would assume you can get a better inherent accuracy from the 2011, but what will make the difference in accuracy to you is the trigger, which you have already felt. The sights too, but you could change those easily on a glock.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews