JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had this forwarded to me and haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere so thought I'd pass it along:

Dear MoveOn member,

We've developed a breakthrough strategy to destroy the National Rifle Association's credibility in Washington: gun owners committed to fighting for gun control.

You see, the truth is that only a tiny minority of gun owners actually belong to the NRA—and most of them don't even agree with it.1 If the silent majority of gun owners who support gun control speak out, they'll blow the NRA's cover, so we can finally take action to prevent gun violence and save lives—including by helping President Obama issue an executive order this month to close the background check loophole.2

Here's our plan: After the shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon last month, MoveOn launched Gun Owners for Gun Control, which now has 32,260 members. Next week, we're bringing 15 of them—thoughtful, experienced, and responsible gun owners, including former NRA members—to Washington, D.C., for meetings with the White House, members of Congress, and the media.

But we still need to raise the money to cover the cost of the gun owner delegation, to take the message they deliver in D.C. and get it out across the country, and then to continue organizing this incredibly powerful group of MoveOn members. Can you chip in $3 to help responsible gun owners stand up to the NRA?

Yes, I'll chip in and help stand up to the NRA.

The NRA says it has 5 million dues-paying members, which may be inflated but still is just between 6 and 7 percent of U.S. gun owners.3 And even many NRA members disagree with the organization on policy. For instance, the NRA opposes requiring background checks for private and gun show sales—the policy President Obama could issue in just a few weeks if he has enough backing—but 74 percent of NRA members support it.4

Starting next week, gun owners who support gun control will no longer be a silent majority—because we're helping them speak out in Washington.This has the potential to be a breakthrough moment if we have the resources to elevate their voices.

Can you chip in $3 now to help stand up to the NRA?

Click here if you can.

David T. from Georgia is one of the 15 gun owners traveling to Washington, D.C., next week. He knows guns. David is a retired Army officer and a two-time All American in rifle shooting. He was a member of the NRA for more than 10 years but resigned his membership "when their agenda turned from promoting gun safety and responsible ownership to one of uncompromising opposition to any kind of gun control."

Rick M. lives in rural Oregon just 20 miles from Thurston High School and about an hour from Umpqua Community College, both sites of horrific mass shootings. He has long owned guns, has a concealed weapons permit, and believes strongly in both his right to own a gun and the need to stop the proliferation of easy access to guns.

These gun owners are ready to speak out—and powerfully so. Will you support them by chipping in $3 or whatever you can?

Click here to chip in and join the fight.

Thanks for all you do.

–Jo, Manny, Erica, Brian, and the rest of the team

Sources:

1. "Most gun owners support restrictions. Why aren't their voices heard?" The Washington Post, October 9, 2015
<broken link removed>

2. "Obama weighs expanding background checks through executive authority," The Washington Post, October 8, 2015 <broken link removed>

3. "Most gun owners don't belong to the NRA—and they don't agree with it either," The Washington Post, October 15, 2015 <broken link removed>

4. Ibid.

Want to support our work?

MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here

The left does not care about things like facts, or lies. As long as they can keep pressing this crap to the ignorant masses they will keep pushing their agenda.

I had a good laugh, and then as been said in other posts here at NWFA I realized how pro-active they are as opposed to our side. Still can hear crickets on our side. So yes MOO yes the acronym for them is MOO how funny is that, is lying and cheating and educating and moving forward. And our side is ?????????

Most gun owners are not for more laws, actually the reality is most gun owners have no idea what the laws are and how bad its getting. As I said Crickets !!

I'll start with the fact a guy from Georgia is testifying for a Washington cause. Seems there aren't as many gun owners that want more restrictions as they would like the public to think there are.
Second I hate the fact that all of the sporting/hunting/shooting industries here in Oregon haven't been actively supporting or opposing the folks in Salem. I mean Leupold, Crimson Trace, Gerber, Kershaw, Leatherman, Warne, ect, ect. Why are they silent! They could say we are going to pull out of a state that doesn't support the second ammendment and is making the law abiding citizens criminals. I would bet they have more pull than anyone would think via, the economy in Oregon.
Ok my rant over......

"David T. from Georgia is one of the 15 gun owners traveling to Washington, D.C., next week. He knows guns. David is a retired Army officer and a two-time All American in rifle shooting. He was a member of the NRA for more than 10 years but resigned his membership "when their agenda turned from promoting gun safety and responsible ownership to one of uncompromising opposition to any kind of gun control."

"Rick M. lives in rural Oregon just 20 miles from Thurston High School and about an hour from Umpqua Community College, both sites of horrific mass shootings. He has long owned guns, has a concealed weapons permit, and believes strongly in both his right to own a gun and the need to stop the proliferation of easy access to guns.

"the need to stop the proliferation of easy access to guns." Gun owners know that there is no such thing. You go through the an Instant Check, fill out forms, pay a fee. The only way that guns "proliferate" in any other way is through crime (stolen guns, guns that are "straw" purchased), so the idea that they "proliferate" easily because people can buy them is bull-shiznit.

"to one of uncompromising opposition to any kind of gun control." Yes, because when we start talking about "universal" background checks, ammunition bans, magazine bans, licensing, taxation, gun registration, limiting and eliminating concealed carry, an organization that is unwilling to, for example, negotiate a magazine ban but still support the 2nd Amendment isn't something I would want advocating on my behalf.

There is no compromise on any of those. And I like that.

These gun owners think that things like 30 round magazines are for those "other" gun owners who like to make those silly You-tube videos. They think it is perfectly OK for government to dictate how many they can buy, when they can buy them, and don't mind telling some officious bureaucrat their life story to purchase one. And who needs a CHL anyway? Right?

There are some who may balk or take offense at this comparison, but these two "gun owners" are the equivalent of the Jews who boarded the trains during the Holocaust. Lots of "just give up your magazines and then pay this licensing fee while we take down that serial number. It will be OK, no one wants to take your guns."

I would rather be like the Bielski Brothers....

Um dont you mean left hand ?:confused:
I'm trying to draw the link between gun-control and Fascism ("raise right hand" as in Hitler salute), amigo, which is definitely a product of the Left. :)

Ideologically, the New Left of the Sixties on is a really scary blend of Communism, Nazism and a few other statist ideologies all mixed together like a nasty sausage from Hell. Most of the time I think Michael Savage needs a CAT scan, but he actually made a well-articulated and well-reasoned case on this in Liberalism is a Mental Disorder.

Want to know how to take down the NRA? Get rid of all gun cotrol laws, start treating the 2A like it was intended and make gun laws say "shall not be infringed". Once that is done, the NRA's political arm won't be needed, problem solved.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads