Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Most rounds at once?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 240kph, Feb 14, 2009.

1. 240kph

240kph Grants Pass, OR Member

I put about 400 rounds through my Glock 19 yesterday and then I had an idea. How many rounds have you put through your firearm in one sitting without cleaning, etc...? Also, be sure to say what model it was. Ammo brand too?

Thanks,
    Steve

*edit: I noticed I didn't say which brand, I was shooting some PMC. I wanted to get rid of it because my TEC-DC9 doesn't shoot it well, but the Glock gobbles it up. Just simplifying things so I only have Remington, Winchester, etc... now

2. aquariumjunky

aquariumjunky Albany, Oregon Active Member

I have ran around 700 rounds through a sig mosquito one afternoon tring to break that damn thing in :) All kinds brought like 2-3k with me and the ammo it liked we feed and we feed it some more!

Was a fun afternoon :)

Got pretty damn dirty too

3. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

I shot about 500 rds through my gsg and 400 through my p22, all federal bulk

4. Rackir

Rackir Gresham, or Member

Technically 2 sittings (over a weekend), but 700 rounds of UMC bulk pack 9mm through my PT92 without cleaning. Ran like a champ all weekend untill 1 round stuck in the chamber. That wasnt the gun though, when I (finally) got that round out I saw the cartridge was totally misformed, it was oval rather than round. I'm pretty sure the 92 design could go several thousand rounds between cleanings if one really wanted to try.

5. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

Around 800 rounds of 7.62 through my ak without a cleaning lol. Mostly wolf steel and some misc stuff I found rusted in puddles :)

6. NWMoss

NWMoss Lost, permanently... Member

I've heard the argument, that with modern munitions and advances in gunpowder etc that we might actually tend to OVERCLEAN our firearms...

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

7. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Just curious what's the downside to cleaning? Aside from the time it takes I mean...

8. NWMoss

Main thing I've been cited is wear.

Of course, if ur doing it right, then brass brush should be minimal.

I'm just looking for more of what you're looking for - some sense of reason behind some of these things that I've heard...

9. packman

packman coast Active Member

kimber cdpII between 600 and 700 in a 10hr class
    and that was some factory reloads from OMC
    that i thought were a little dirty to shoot compared to others

10. Dutchy556

Dutchy556 Bend, OR Member

I put 700-some-odd rounds through my Bravo Company uppered AR in a rather short timeframe, couple hours maybe, late last year... all kinds of ammo - BVAC, Silver Bear, M193...

Hottest I've ever gotten a barrel, on a semi anyway. Still ran hard despite being pretty much bone dry - convinced I could have gone well very well past 1k w/o malfunction. Only thing that stopped me was my wallet. I'd love to be able to afford to see what would cripple it.

Dang unreliable ARs... ;)

11. dr drae

dr drae Seattle Member

I'm probably pushing 1K rds through my fullsize HK USP .40 w/o cleaning it. :D

12. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

I could see that.

13. dennisf

dennisf Battleground, Wa Member

When I was looking at the semi-autos, the article in one magazine said the author and some friends put 15,000 thru the SR9 without cleaning. They shot mag after mag and even poured water on the barrel to cool it.

14. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Oregon City, OR Member

I generally don't keep count.

I do know I have run 1k of Wolf through my bushmaster without cleaning. Only malfunctions I had were related to my Beta C-Mag. Zero malfunctions using USGI magazines. The only reason I cleaned it after that was to switch back to brass ammo, and it was really disgusting inside.

I don't even clean my Glocks for the most part.

15. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

I have probably put well over 5000 rounds through my nylon 66 without cleaning it. The thing is too damn complicated to clean anyway. I just run it for about to years then take it in and have it cleaned.

16. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Oregon City, OR Member

I think my dad has a 10/22 that hasn't been cleaned in 20 years.

Used to see a lot of rounds before I got my own.

17. Otis

Otis Vancouver, WA Member

Maybe some Oregon LEO's can back me up on this one but I have a buddy that I go shooting with all the time that is on the Portland PD and he says during the academy on shooting day they can put a few thousand rounds through their Glock 17 each day.

I personally have put about 1500 rounds through my XD 45 without cleaning. It ate all the ammo up just fine but it was killing me not cleaning it. So I broke down and had to do it.

18. NWMoss

You sound about as OCD as I am...

...we know the darned gun is probally fine, but can't stand to not give it some TLC!

19. Otis

Otis Vancouver, WA Member

I think they like a little fondeling once and a while. Helps them perform better the next time they are called upon, you know, getting ready for their BIG day.