JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy!

I am interested in building my first SBR. I took my lower reciever from my AR and got it engraved by BYE, and I plan to go to LCSO on monday to get the required signatures. I had originally planned to send the paperwork in, while I send my order request to smartgunner.com to start working on my upper. They stated that it would be ok even if they finished before the paperwork was approved as long as I kept the upper at a different location.

After doing some research I think that this may be a common practice, but would leave me open to prosecution if the ATF really wanted to. So I think the most practical way to do this would be to order a stripped lower and designate it a "pistol lower." Is this something that the FFL dealer can do at the time of transfer? Is there anything more required then to tell him "I want to build a pistol, please check the pistol box?" IIRC the AR pistol rifle and lowers are identical dimensions wise. :s0131:

Personally, I'd just get another lower since they are fairly cheap, and it sounds like you are building another complete upper (the expensive part). Just build your parts into a pistol, get it "dialed in" while you are waiting for the approval to come back. Any parts you have on hand that could implicate you in an "intent to construct" scenario you could just "sell" to a friend until your approval comes back, at which time you could "buy" the parts back. As far as I know if you have a rifle and a pistol of the same design (I'm assuming AR?) you can possess parts for both, meaning there wouldn't be ANY parts that could be considered "intent to build and SBR".

Thanks sarge, I think I am gonna order a stripped lower from palmetto state for that express purpose. One thing I have come across in my research is the concept of "verification" that my stripped lower has never been used as a rifle lower. Ever heard of this? Hopefully, when I get my FFL to transfer me the lower, marking the "other" box will suffice.

I turned in my completed form 1 to the LCSO today and got my fingerprints done. Anybody know off hand how long they take to review the app before they sign off on it?

I currently have a DD M4 Version 3 that I plan to cannibalize the lower from for my SBR project (I plan to add a DD MK18 11.5 Upper). I had this engraved with my name and city/state last week.

I also purchased a blemmed BCM lower which I plan to eventually mate to my existing DDM4 16" upper.

I am considering ordering a stripped lower from palmetto state armory because they are cheap, but seem to be made extremely well for messing around with the AR pistol concept and to hold my upper until the form 1 comes back

I would build the gun as a pistol on virgin lower. Build it exactly as you would your SBR only with a pistol buffer tube instead of whichever stock you would use. When your form is approved, buy and attach your stock and new buffer tube

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top