JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been noticing lately that alot of the threads have been turning into a argument over something completely different than what the op posted the thread about. Alot of times the op is left with more confusion than when he posted a thread to get more info on due to disagreements between members. Is there any way that we can get more thread tools to combat this?

A example would be if I were to post a thread asking info on something and 2 or 4 members are arguing about it taking the thread way off topic then it would be nice if the op had (and only the op) more tools to lock them out of the thread and delete their posts so the topic would stay on topic. I know that's the mods jobs, but let's face it, they can't be everywhere everytime. I would think that giving these options to the op would cut down on the hostility that I see so much of.

This is what happens on the internet with so many different personalities. If you have a thread and it goes off topic then the OP can get it back on topic with a simple reminder posting. If it gets abusive then that is what the report function is for. To give the tools you would like to each individual it would take alot more funds to change the software I'm sure and not all members contribute to that fund so that limits what is able to be done.

I doubt you will find very many internet forums that don't experience thread drift, hijacking, divergence and what not. The only ones I've ever seen that don't have that, I didn't stick around for long because they catered to the hive mind and chased anyone off that didn't follow the script. Either that or they were so heavily moderated (each post had to be approved by a moderator) that dissenting opinions were never seen.

They were boring.

elsie

I doubt you will find very many internet forums that don't experience thread drift, hijacking, divergence and what not. The only ones I've ever seen that don't have that, I didn't stick around for long because they catered to the hive mind and chased anyone off that didn't follow the script. Either that or they were so heavily moderated (each post had to be approved by a moderator) that dissenting opinions were never seen.

They were boring.

elsie

I can understand that. Years ago When I started visiting thefiringline.com I thought their rules were a little strict. Now I see the reasoning why. I myself like to learn about peoples experience that they have had with a certain firearms, vender, gun show, ect, ect. But lately I have noticed that someone will start a argument about something that's not relevant to the topic.

For instance, a couple weeks ago someone asked about a taurus 1911 and wanted honest feedback. One guy replied back a 2 paragraph answer that I thought was very informative. He stated that he was worked with metal all his life and didn't know if the frame was forged or cast. He just never looked. I don't think he really cared. Then, another member makes the comment of "you work with metal and you don't know if it's cast or forged?" This is what I'm talking about. The member is questioning the others members ability and for what? Doesn't have anything to do with the thread but to create hostility among us. Didn't help the op any but to read a bunch of members argue about something that was off topic. This is just a example of what I have seen and it seems like I've been seeing more of it lately. I would think that in these times we, as gun owners, would want to band together instead of divide. After all, the more we argue the more ammunition we give to the anti gunners.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know about reporting these things deadeye.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews