JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think a lot is dumped and is not from shooters. Happens at night. If there are refrigerators, tv's and appliances, even cars & trailers, it probably happened at night and by non shooters. Next day, shooters show up and think it's fun to shoot it. We get tagged for it.

I recently took a load to the dump in Washougal and was floored at how much 1 pickup bed cost. I suppose it wouldn't have been a surprise if I'd gone a few times prior but I see it has really gone up.

If people can't afford it, they need to seek ways of getting help with it. Simply taking it to the forest is not an acceptable alternative, no matter what your income is. They need to realize the penalty is more than the cost of dumping on public land.
I was thinking of something along the line of free dump coupons, like they give out for leaf disposable in the fall. Just need a bunch a money to fund it:D

I first commented on this thread a day ago I think but removed it. Sometimes...no, often my views go against the grain.

Firstly, im happy you all love the forest as much as I do. I'm happy that we are willing to take out trash with us. In a perfect world this wouldn't happen...but I have some concerns.

1, this idea about cameras in a forest and looking for people...I go up to the nf near me to escape...well... everyone. There are days I go up I'm just needing some time with nature. Typicality I can avoid people and this may come off as being none friendly. I'm a very helpful nice guy but I certainly wouldn't enjoy anyone installing technology, the curse of this Earth, into a place that takes me away from snoopy people. I get your intentions are good...I just don't want to be bothered. Simple as that.

2, confrontation isn't something I recommend. You guys willing to invest in your own body armor and call out people you know nothing about? There's no law in the middle of nowhere. Again, I love you all have passion and I'm not trying to be little any of you. I'm just saying this to make sure you're all safe. I have been lucky...I haven't seen too many wack jobs where I go but if low class people are a primary cause then I'm gonna automatically assume their probably druggies or up to no good. Just be careful guys...

I would do trash pick up anytime with you guys.
Well said, Mister! I know the feeling of being 'alone' in the woods and I cherish that quiet time as well. I'd hate to think there is an eye in the sky watching over me. On the other hand, I'd like to see we survey and catch these bad guys in the act. It's a sad situation we're faced with. I hope we find better solutions.

The confrontation thing should not happen. The offender may quickly take the defensive position and could very well create a big problem. If encountered, we need to bow out gracefully and retreat to a neutral place where we can observe without being detected. If not, get the heck out of Dodge!

I got it!!! Let's call the Target Shooter Mafia! I think they can help!

I'd buy a suit to be in that gang!!!

I do have time to visit some areas close to me and when I see cars parked at my pit I take a pic & file it in an album.
I just bought an older trail camera that I'm going to use to catch the slob shooters there.

We need "Eyes in the Woods" gentlemen.

Living out in a rural area I've seen first hand that 95% of the time it's not "target shooters" bringing trash up into these woods. I've worked swing shift and traveled the highways late night/early morning and seen lots of pickups headed up river. Why would fully loaded trucks be headed up into the woods at night?
Hmmm
To dump their trash! :mad:

I've reported it lots of times and they say well we need to see them actually doing it.

Living out in a rural area I've seen first hand that 95% of the time it's not "target shooters" bringing trash up into these woods. I've worked swing shift and traveled the highways late night/early morning and seen lots of pickups headed up river. Why would fully loaded trucks be headed up into the woods at night?
Hmmm
To dump their trash! :mad:

I've reported it lots of times and they say well we need to see them actually doing it.

Yup and they don't put a priority on trash dumpers in the big scheme of things.

:eek: whaaaat???
Several years ago when my kids were young, we went to long beach to dig razor clams, a and I was warned not to help too much because the wardens were hiding in the dunes with binoculars watching, and ticketing adults for digging clams for thier kids that were having trouble doing it themselves.

Several years ago when my kids were young, we went to long beach to dig razor clams, a and I was warned not to help too much because the wardens were hiding in the dunes with binoculars watching, and ticketing adults for digging clams for thier kids that were having trouble doing it themselves.
geeze. what jerks.

I was thinking of something along the line of free dump coupons, like they give out for leaf disposable in the fall. Just need a bunch a money to fund it:D

Our county along with the small towns around here have a free trash day once a year. I know it is not enough to stop all illegal dumping but it helps somewhat, its like a lock only keeps out an honest theif.

Had a great time shooting in the woods with my kids today... found a perfect hot weather spot that has a creek running through it. I was able to splash my face a couple times when the heat became unbearable.
I gave my son an AR15 for his 18th birthday, and he got to put it through its paces, and taught my kids and my sons friend to shoot the DW .357
when we were done I sat in my chair and made them clean everything up... A great day! and left the spot cleaner than we found it.. There was only a small target sticker stuck to a tree stump when we arrived, but we hauled it out;). It's stayed a closely guarded secret for years, and if its up to me it will stay that way.

IMG_3022.JPG IMG_3025.JPG IMG_3028.JPG IMG_3034.JPG

I was out shooting today and did some clean up. It looks like the trashy shooters stayed to have a fire then broke a lot of glass as well.
We may need crime busters who are able to confiscate the guns. Then the pukes can earn the right to get them back by community service like picking up broken glass!

Dirtbags. I wish the Forest service had a bigger budget so that they could do more patrols. It wouldn't solve everything but if a few key people received significant fines then maybe word would get out to pick after shooting.
I wish they had a bigger budget so they could get security camera's, heck, even hidden trail camera's to get the license plates of their vehicles and have a nice steep fine.

Bringing all your kids so you could dig limits for all of them caused this.
The Dad or Mom showing their son or daughter how to dig, pay the price for the cheaters.

I'm behind the eight ball on this thread and didn't read all the comments. But the first thing that came to mind was Camera's. With today's technology there has to be a way to put secured camera's in trees or on poles where no one can see them. A spot where you can get license plates and start arresting and fining the Bubblegum out of people that bring trash in and don't haul it out.

Then use the money from those fines to clean up what is left behind or to hire people to monitor the sites on a rotating basis. I am far from a technology wizard but there has to be a way to catch these jack azz's and make them pay. :mad:

Even if you had county wide free trash disposal sites year round, there will always be some asss hats that will take their junk out into the woods and dump it.

I think a lot is dumped and is not from shooters. Happens at night. If there are refrigerators, tv's and appliances, even cars & trailers, it probably happened at night and by non shooters. Next day, shooters show up and think it's fun to shoot it. We get tagged for it.
No doubt this is a large part of it. What starts out as an illegal dump might become an informal shooting site and then more stop and shoot and then 'we' get blamed. Another problem we have around here (South Central) is people dragging old RVs, dilapidated vehicles etc. - and basically living in the woods. These are mostly drug types. There are two of these currently not far from where I live - and actually closer to Sunriver. I know there is activity at them as I pass one on my way to a shooting spot and vehicles change and various junk is moved around. I really do not know why the FS tolerates this. A couple years ago while approaching a favorite shooting spot I discovered it to be occupied with these pine cone pickers. Heck they had a mountain of bagfulls of them but the problem was they were 'camping' at the site and literally trashed it. Couches were situated around a fire pit, tarps, lean tos, trash all over. The following Monday I called the FS office in Bend and let them know this and I wanted something done about it. They guy I talked to said he knew they had a permit to pick up the pine cones but the trashing it was not acceptable. I told him friends and I use this place often and ALWAYS keep it clean. He told me he would have LE drive by and make them clean it up. A couple days later I drove by it on my way home and it was in fact cleaned up with a large heavy duty trash can there.
In conclusion while slob shooters are a part of the problem it's not all of it - but 'we' no doubt take a lot of the blame.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top