JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know this won't be widely accepted.

How much would you pay, for a permit, to shoot in the woods?

It's not about infringing your 2a.

It is simply a means of easier enforcement and more importantly, revenue.

OHV permits are $30 and require a test.

What would you say to requiring the same for recreational target shooting?

I know I know.

It's a registration.

But, they'll know I own guns.

Enforcement cost money.

Permits and fines would create some of the needed money to pay for enforcement. Better yet, perhaps more shooting lanes like NFWC.

It has been brought up and could very well be considered.

Enforcement would be nearly non-existent and probably not popular with LEOs.
How so?

They enforce those that don't pay for OHV permits all the time.

I've seen them sit in Browns Camp and write tickets all day for those that didn't have correct permits and gear.

Don't have a fire estuinguisher. Fine.

It all adds up, and pays for things.

How much would you pay, for a permit, to shoot in the woods?

it might depend on what I would have to do to obtain the permit?

I have to admit I'm not really liking the idea, although I would rather have the project come from a pro-gun group than wait till the state steps in and does it. At the moment my vote is to exhaust all efforts at fixing the current trash problems.

Just in case someone here is not aware of Col. Jeff Coopers 4 Rules...

RULE 1
ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

The only exception to this occurs when one has a weapon in his hands and he has personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as he puts it down, Rule 1 applies again.

RULE 2
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY

You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

RULE 3
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

RULE 4
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.
Ive made sure both my kids have had a copy of these rules on thier bedroom walls since they could read. They roll thier eyes when quizzed, but I make them recite them from time to time.

For rule 2... a fun way to teach it to a child is have them pretend there is an invisible lazer beam coming out the end of the barrel that will cut through anything it touches.

I just had a thought...
Is it bad that they can recite Col. Coopers 4 no prob, but struggle to recite Gods 10? Not that they don't know them, but In order word for word, can't say I do either:s0076:

I would say if ODF wanted to go towards requiring permits. They would reach out to us, the shooting community to build the requirements.

Personally.

I'd like to see simple stuff on there. Make it harder for idiots to be idiots.

My best example is a fire estuinguisher.

Don't have one. Get a ticket.

Better yet

Shooting at a tree. Get a ticket.

After a couple of tickets, permit gets pulled.

No permit, get a ticket.

Trust me I know this isn't the most popular idea.

It should scare enough idiots to perhaps not be idiots.

And we get money from it.

Ok I am well aware of the OHV requirements- I deal with it myself but simply driving a conventional vehicle to an area to shoot does not necessairly require all the permits and gear required for OHV usage. I drive to shooting spots in the NF nearly every weekend - and have for many years and have never been hassled for correct 'permits and gear'

Here is s pretty good link for off road use.

Official Oregon ATV Safety Course | Offroad-ed.com™

I can't name all the examples. But a good one I've seen is a dirt bike without a spark arrester.

Here are more of the rules.

http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/ATV/docs/hb_laws_rules.pdf

I don't have a good link to the fines associated with everything.

this is interesting, in order for me to drive a quad I had to get an ATV license from oregonOHV.org. How is the safety course different from the OHV license?
the test was painfully long, several hours actually. If I had to take a similar test just to shoot in the woods it would be highly discouraging...

this is interesting, in order for me to drive a quad I had to get an ATV license from oregonOHV.org. How is the safety course different from the OHV license?
the test was painfully long, several hours actually. If I had to take a similar test just to shoot in the woods it would be highly discouraging...
I used these as example only.

Note, that the off-road use had to have gotten bad for these things to take place.

I hope for our sake recreational shooting doesn't get that bad.

However, what rule has law abiding gun owners not abided by this far?

Own any full autos lately.

Only the worst or idiots tend to not follow the law.

If you don't follow rules, maybe you shouldn't shoot in the woods or pay the price of doing it wrong.

Like you said, it would be better we directed the agencies than they do it on their own.

Just wondering what are the correct 'permits and gear' required to shoot at this Brown's Camp?
RV, the Brown's Camp Reno is referring to is an OHV/motorcycle camp area. There is also a large gravel pit where people shoot at and is named Beaver Dam Rock Quarry, mostly referred to at the Browns Camp shooting pit. Both the ORV and shooting pit are very popular and a lot of recreation happens there.

The permit requirements, mentioned by Reno, are for the ORV & motorcycle folks. No requirements for shooters (yet), outside of the standard rules for shooting in Tillamook State Forest (which you can find them here: Trash No Land Shooting Rules ).

Shooting at trees (living or dead) has been illegal for a long time - only recently has it seen actual enforcement by citing those caught doing it.
I didn't know it was illegal to shoot dead trees.(standing only I would assume) Wounder why? Maybe so those that can't tell the difference don't mow down a live hardwood in the winter.

I didn't know it was illegal to shoot dead trees.(standing only I would assume) Wounder why? Maybe so those that can't tell the difference don't mow down a live hardwood in the winter.
Two reasons... For one, they say it's damage to natural resources, and two, potential for starting fires. Fires being the primary reason.

good question, this is what a shooting on public land class would solve. Create awareness.

r.e. stumps: if you pin a target up and shoot all day at it you embed hundreds of hot rounds in the same spot impacting each other, the heat generated, especially in conditions like this year, can smolder for a while and possibly ignite.

good question, this is what a shooting on public land class would solve. Create awareness.

r.e. stumps: if you pin a target up and shoot all day at it you embed hundreds of hot rounds in the same spot impacting each other, the heat generated, especially in conditions like this year, can smolder for a while and possibly ignite.
So let me pitch you a thought.

You pull up to a site to shoot. There are targets stapled to a stump. You leave them there and set up.

A trooper pulls in. Sees the targets on the stumps. Sites you and writes a ticket.

Do you get angry and not go back out?

Do you take down the targets the next time out if you see any?

would the wrong doers now get an even worse image because of this?

I've seen dirt bikers go off on a guy for doing something up at Browns Camp. I was a little taken back. I bet they never did it again though.

I'm just here to poke some ideas around and ask questions.

Two reasons... For one, they say it's damage to natural resources, and two, potential for starting fires. Fires being the primary reason.

Wow, glad I asked... Makes sense though. there is an old punky log that I had my target hanging from yesterday, So rotted that staples wouldn't stick so I used twigs as push pins. ideally when shooting at a target I'm trying to get all my shots to hit the same point. Guess I'll use a different method next time. My bullets probably went all the way through into the dirt berm, but can't be too careful, especially this time of year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top