JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As the decades whiz past far too quickly to even count, I've gotten into the habit of making lists for shopping, camping, boat outings and, of course, shooting.

I know I'm not the only one here to ever get to the range and realize the magazines for a specific gun are still at home. So, since last century, my reminder list has included:
- Stereo deadphones and foamies
- Eye protection
- Ammo AND mags
- Clays AND throwers
- Water and shovel
- Tools
- Hat with a bill
- Targets and spotting scope
- 1st aid kit

Added to the shooting list:
- Work gloves
- Trash bags
- Plastic bin for pokey, leaky trash

this pains me to bring up....but while I was out of town (i think) a buddy boworred some steel targets, his story is that he was shooting till dark in tillamook forest north side of hwy 6(opposite of browns camp exit) at the spot we call the landing and left a few up there...
if anyone comes across a small jumping jack, and a saw blade holder please let me know...you can keep the targets I'd just like to know they aren't up there still.
I went up yesterday to look but there was a foot of snow on the ground...ill try next weekend
20180218_125705.jpg 20180218_133646.jpg

I just received an email from a forester in Tillamook State Forest (we are working on the idea of placing dumpsters in the forest). What he wrote is very disturbing. Our problem is growing. Bigger than the simple everyday milk jugs, paper targets, propane bottles and TV trash we typically see. The problem is the kind of shooters who are doing this.

"...Ultimately, I would really like to figure out a way to motivate target shooters to use legal responsible targets and to pack out their own trash and targets. It is very disheartening to drive by all the places where people shoot and see all of the target shooting trash left. It is becoming more and more visible as the use continues to increase and spread out. It is difficult to understand why people think it is OK to bring garbage out to the forest to shoot and then to just leave it after their done shooting at it. In the last three weeks, from just a handful of target shooting locations, I have hauled out a full size refrigerator, 6 tires, several computers, 5 gallon buckets, paint cans, fuel and propane tanks and canisters, several pallets and chunks of plywood, quartz countertop material, carpet, several pots and pans, hubcaps, car battery, stuffed animals, parts of a sink, and the standard bottles, cardboard, cans, and paper targets. This week I found a utility trailer that was hauled into one of the Salmonberry Road shooting sites and used as a target. We need to figure out a way to dispose of it."

This happened within the recent 3 weeks in just one forest and within a fairly close proximity of that part of the forest. It's getting out of hand. These kind of people are ruining our privilege to shoot on public land!

This reflects real bad on all 'gun owners'. It pisses me off to think that these few irresponsible low-life jerks are destroying the value of our 2nd Amendment and the heritage, we value so dearly, of free public land recreational shooting.

It doesn't matter if you shoot at a private range, public range or public land. It's the fact that some people are actually destroying the integrity of people who own guns. It hurts us all. We all need to step up to the challenge and find solutions to this problem.

Our dumpster in the woods is one idea. The rules/ethics brochure is another one. The improved shooting lanes is another. So is the promotions of being a good steward. Still, this crap goes on.

We gotta put a stop to this crap before we loose it all! It's going to take a lot of people, a lot of ideas and a lot of boots on the ground to make a difference.

Bill
Trail cameras and prosecutions.
Maybe we should all pick our favorite spot and hide a camera. Check it when we go out shooting. Kinda expensive but cheaper than range dues .

Question: When it comes to clean up, what DO you clean up? I ask this question because I recently moved to St Helens which has areas that are littered with shotshells, casings, clay pigeon pieces, and a few cans or bottles. I have however seen some stuff that didn't "fit" to be something that was common o shoot, such as a whole TV and even a damned air conditioner. Also if I want to do my own personal clean up, where does the trash go other than my own? (meaning if I cleaned up several bags worth) For those in St Helens I'm speaking of the two shooting areas as you go up Pittsburg, close to Camp Wilkerson. One has a big piece of highway barrier in front of the road to it.

You clean up anything that should not be there .
Plastic. Metal cans or bottles .
Cardboard is a thing that will be bi degradable and most paper is biodegradable .
If you go to some public Shooting places you will find microwave or refrigerator .or TVS old cars .left behind by (people) that don't give a $hit my advice pick up what you can if you can only get one garbage bag full of trash in your car it's better than nothing

Here's another idea if you are at a place .
Public Shooting place with other people around . take down car make model and license plate number .
If they leave there garbage behind you can report them to sheriff it fish and game or BLM DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE .
you can always try to confront them .
But depends . your call but you will run into really stupid people out there .
And they have guns too .is a GUN FIGHT WORTH IT OVER SOME TRASH .

I have seen people throw garbage out the window at a red light in downtown Seattle . Spokane Tacoma .they don't care so you can imagine what they do in the woods

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top