JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a decent, compact monocular. Don't want to pay more than $100 for it. Would prefer it fit in my hand and was black.

Need something that can positively identify a target at 400 yards

Any suggestions or experiences (good or bad) would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

*Riot*

Last time I used that one I was scanning the woods for dear at about 700 yards or so. At that range I could tell a buck from a doe haha, but as far as face recognition goes I am not sure how far it would reach. If you have a rifle scope that can zoom 10x, that would give you a good indication of the barska's capabilities.

This one is similarly priced and goes to 25x, but not sure on the quality. http://www.opticsplanet.com/barska-8-25x25-monocular-microscope.html I have heard some bad things about barska, but I have had 2 rifle scopes from them, and used both that monocular and a spotting scope with good effect.

I have a Barska spotting scope...it works, not great, but it works. Thanks again for your input

*edit*

With that your first monocular, you said you could discern between deer, could you count spikes- or just see them? 700 yards is pretty good distance for how small that thing is.

I made mine by hacksawing a misaligned pair of binos. Works great and I got a 2 fer 1. I used the kind that focused individually at the eyepiece.
Zeiss makes a killer 8x monocular too.

Too much power makes it hard to use. You have to brace against something. I have a 10x30 Bushnell and it is a pain to hold on a distant target. (That is 10 times magnification and 30mm in diameter)
Roy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads