JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington 870 Black Matte 26" barrel with vent rib and removable choke.
What I need is an 18.5-20" barrel...so I guess I will be either swapping it or cutting about 6" off.
Does anyone have suggestions on ways to shorten a shotgun barrel?

I know there are lots of replacement barrels available but most all are well over $100 and I want to spend that Ben Franklin elsewhere. Plus I kind of like the look of the rib on a HD weapon. I also wonder how much resale value is there for my new Remington 870 Black Matte 26" barrel with vent rib and removable choke.

I know there are lots of replacement barrels available but most all are well over $100 and I want to spend that Ben Franklin elsewhere. Plus I kind of like the look of the rib on a HD weapon. I also wonder how much resale value is there for my new Remington 870 Black Matte 26" barrel with vent rib and removable choke.
It can also be shortened and re-threaded to accept choke tubes.
Unfortunately, that's usually a Benjamin or so also.

For the time being, you can shorten it yourself with a good hacksaw, and square it up and dress it off with a file and some fine sandpaper. I would make sure you leave it long enough to have a competent gunsmith enough to trim it off and thread it for the choke tubes if that is your eventual goal.

Oh, and don't end up in a Ruby Ridge situation. Be certain that when you're done its over 18" by a healthy amount.

Oh, and don't end up in a Ruby Ridge situation. Be certain that when you're done its over 18" by a healthy amount.

I don't think I will need a choke in a HD gun. As to your advice on length, from what point on the barrel is the measurement taken?

Leave it a shade over 18.5" to be safe. I like the look of the rib ending about 1/2" shy of the end of the barrel. I've shortened several like this. They work just fine. Just a simple cylinder choke. Enough meat to have it re-threaded for chokes if that's your thing.

When cutting shotgun barrels I use a dow rod and slide it in the barrel with bolt closed, mark the end of the barrel on the rod. Then I measure the rod to the new length and tape it to the barrel and use a square toline up the original end of barrel length and to score my cut line, at 18.25 to 18.5 inches. The cut most likely will fall in between the rib supports so you will need to make 2 cuts, 1 through the barrel and rib the 2nd thru the piece of rib closet to the support.
I then use sand paper to clean it up and some cold blue to finish it off.

Hope that helps

Well unless your willing to have a pretty stupid looking section of rib jutting out at the muzzle end of the barrel you will have to use the rib stand offs as what determins the lenght of your barrel on the two 870 barrels I have here (1 Wingmaster 1 Express) the rib stand offs are spaced to allow either a 18.75" or 20.75" approx. barrel lenght.

Well unless your willing to have a pretty stupid looking section of rib jutting out at the muzzle end of the barrel you will have to use the rib stand offs as what determins the lenght of your barrel on the two 870 barrels I have here (1 Wingmaster 1 Express) the rib stand offs are spaced to allow either a 18.75" or 20.75" approx. barrel lenght.

note second cut Im sorry my off the top of my head measurements were a lil off. When you make the 2nd cut it moves the end of the rib back exposinf approx 1/2 in, which leaves enough to be threaded for muzzle break or what have ya

Last Edited:
I had a barrel cut off at a local welding and general Metal shop. They had a nice power hack saw that cut a perfect 90 degree angle. I pulled up on my motorcycle. An old guy with old fashioned welding goggles on his head asked me what I needed. I asked if he could cut about 4 inches off my 12 ga barrel. He looked me up and down, grabbed the barrel, and without a word started clamping it into the power saw. Go grab a beer, it'll be ready in an hour or so.
Well, when I got back to pick up my barrel, it look as if it had just come from the factory. He even installed a stainless steel bead front site. I asked how much? We don't charge bikers for the small stuff. Have a nice day....

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top