JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been thinking I really want a New version on the old M-4 Survival rifle!

My thinking, I want the same type of teli-stock, but 16268976_2.jpg with a more traditional grip, also a plastic type of for end, and chambered in 5.56 with a 1/7 twist Wylde chamber and barrel length of 16 inches, threaded for a suppressor, and take down capabilities!
Seems to me a Savage Bolt action and barrel nut barrel would be the slickest with the nut modded to be easier to tighten/loosen by hand! What do you good folks think, Ideas!
Here is an original to give an idea of what i'm thinking!

Sure be a neat build, but why not go with a larger cartridge capable of taking bigger game? If stepping up to a centerfire vs rimfire .22, may as well go with at least a .240, if not .270 or .308.

Good thoughts! I did think about the larger calibers, but ultimately what I want is a very small and light packable rifle in the 5.56 that can be stashed or carried in a leg holster when broken down!

Good thoughts! I did think about the larger calibers, but ultimately what I want is a very small and light packable rifle in the 5.56 that can be stashed or carried in a leg holster when broken down!

How about .300 Blk then, you get good whisper quiet subsonics, or at least .30-30 ballistics in hypersonic rounds. Real world animal killers with very good results on hogs, deer, and other game. Same rifle package as your 5.56

Now that's an Idea, an Awesome Idea! Even better, two barrels, one in 5.56 and one in .300 B.O! I'm really liking that! And they can use the same mags too!

Yup. An oversized knurled barrel nut would be both attractive and functional and make quick work of barrel swaps. Or one could do a cam lever ala the DRD Paratus, but I think the nut would be more secure and have a better return to zero. If your Irons are mounted to the barrel, then return to zero should be a snap. I am figuring this would be a short range - say sub 100 yards most times - food gathering and last ditch defensive arm, so a receiver with a short pic rail or tradition rings with a low powered optic or red dot could extend the useful range of such weapon.

The grip - wood, plastic, or overmolded rubber vs the wire frame. Yes, it adds weight, but not so much so to kill the project, but would be immenently more comfortable. I like the wire stock though, for the given purpose, and neither round recoils enough that the wire stock would be uncomfortable to shoot.

I was thinking the MP5 type collapsing stock and butt would be kinda cool! Also thinking a sort of quick release for end on a pin and detent might be slick! I'm thinking a sub 5 pound rifle might be possable sans suppressor! With the right barrel, ether caliber should be good to the terminal ballistic range! :)

@Ura-Ki It occurs to me that FAB's folding grip, while gimmicky and problem-plagued for some, might have a niche here. No promises on when, but if you'd like I can pull the one from my "heavy" AR build and loan it to ya to try out.

Adds a little weight, but would also be a LOT more tolerable to hold than that wire thing.

I have thought of something like this for an Ishapore Enfield in 7.62x51. Not a particularly light rifle, but flexible in that a number of people have adapted AR buttstocks to them, some folding IIRC. Cut down (if necessary) the barrel and get a lightweight fore-end, install ghost ring iron sights and a mount for a scout scope.

Bringing the Lee Enfield into the 21st Century, Indian style - The Firearm Blog

I have thought of something like this for an Ishapore Enfield in 7.62x51. Not a particularly light rifle, but flexible in that a number of people have adapted AR buttstocks to them, some folding IIRC. Cut down (if necessary) the barrel and get a lightweight fore-end, install ghost ring iron sights and a mount for a scout scope.

Bringing the Lee Enfield into the 21st Century, Indian style - The Firearm Blog
Might as well buy a FN SCAR..........it is light, folding stock, good sights and very accurate. I belive a survival weapon should be more dirrected towards supplying food and shelter than some sort of Combat fantasy. The little 22mag/410 combination gun's are about ideal. Lightweight ammunition allows you to carry a lot, the 410 is a great small game getter. Even my buddy Scott O'Grady was much more interested in evasion and surviving the elements while trying to avoid contact with the bad guys. Large calibers are seldom nessisary for survival and ammunition is heavy...........off course, I only attended 3 USAF survival schools......so could have missed something.

Interesting concept. Quick release barrel that doesn't require headspace gauges would be desirable. I like the wire stock and grip. I'd keep them. The Savage is nice since it already uses a barrel nut and has a bolt handle that is easily swapped. You could even fabricate a skeletonized bolt handle to save weight.

Might as well buy a FN SCAR..........it is light, folding stock, good sights and very accurate. I belive a survival weapon should be more dirrected towards supplying food and shelter than some sort of Combat fantasy. The little 22mag/410 combination gun's are about ideal. Lightweight ammunition allows you to carry a lot, the 410 is a great small game getter. Even my buddy Scott O'Grady was much more interested in evasion and surviving the elements while trying to avoid contact with the bad guys. Large calibers are seldom nessisary for survival and ammunition is heavy...........off course, I only attended 3 USAF survival schools......so could have missed something.

There are all kinds of "survival" firearms, and I own or have owned some of them, including the O/U combos (M6 and Savage 24), and the lightweight (one pound) .22 LR takedowns and so on.

IMO, none of them are ideal - they all are compromises. There was once a 12ga/223 O/U pump, fed from AR mags, that in concept would seem to be better than an O/U single shot, except for the fact that it was almost unobtanium and it never worked very well.

I was going for an inexpensive bolt action rifle that the OP seemed to be aiming for.

Of course there are all kinds of variants of different rifles.

My personal preferences lean heavily towards semi-auto bullpups; I like their handling, they are legal in most states but have a minimal overall length with a standard length barrel, but they are generally a bit more to a lot more expensive and some people don't like them at all. They do have dome downsides (many have poor triggers, some have decent to good triggers), drum mags on most are difficult to use because of the location of the magwell in relation to the shooters arm and face, the sight radius is usually short, and on many takedown/field stripping is inconvenient to difficult.

I like the combo guns, but almost all are single shot break opens, which makes them less than ideal for self-defense.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top