JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is Better, MOA or MIL

• MOA is best, don't waste your time with MIL.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • MIL is best, after all the Marines use it.

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
I've been an firearms enthusiast (Mainly Pistols) for over 30 years and in that time I've mainly focused my range time on pistols alone. Recently I've felt a need to be a better Rifleman, which won't be tough as I'm a novice at best.

Currently I'm looking at Rifles, caliber and such but the MOA & MIL discussion when buying a good scope has me a bit confused. I feel I understand MOA much better after a fair amount of reading.

So here's the question:

What is better MOA or MIL and which one should I learn and become proficient with?

It's just 2 different ways to skin a cat...

I would choose either if the scope I wanted was on sale etc.
Is one more used than the other? Curious as I'll be needing to learn this from those that are willing to share the knowledge. Is their one I should focus on?

Is one more used than the other? Curious as I'll be needing to learn this from those that are willing to share the knowledge. Is their one I should focus on?

If MOA is easier with 1/4" adjustments I would go that way.

MIL can get you closer to perfect with smaller adjustments (is my understanding - I could be wrong) so that might be better on an extreme long range gun.

If your new to Rifles it really shouldn't matter much until you can out shoot your gun/scope.

Whatever you intuitively work with. Just dont make my mistake by getting a reticle with MIL markings and MOA adjustment dials.

At 100 yards
  • 1 MIL = 3.6"
  • 1 MOA = 1.047" (1.141 @ 100m)
Vertical adjustments on scopes are typically 1/4MOA per click, or 0.1MIL per click.

What makes all the difference is getting to know your rifle, and trigger time.

I like a mil reticle with mil turrets. Easier for me to range a target, and/or measure adjustments.

I also like metric measurements, and while radians are not metric or imperial, they are a decimal based measurement, which coincides with the metric system very well. Universal Transverse Mercator maps and overlays are also really handy when using mils and meters, if your rangefinder craps out on you.

Glock or 1911, MIL or MOA, New York or Chicago style pizza. They all work, pick one that suits your needs and or ability and stick with it.

Everybody knows the answer is always 1911, MIL, and that those east coast people don't know squat about pizza!;)

Is one more universal? Meaning if I'm at a range is one more used than another?

I'd hate to be talking beta in a world of VHS. (Yes old reference)

this is like asking which is better...metric or imperial (we use imperial in the USA...ie: inches, feet, pounds, ounces, etc.. metric is millimeter, centimeter, meter, milligram, gram, kilogram, etc.)

They both work. Pick which one is easier for you.

this is like asking which is better...metric or imperial (we use imperial in the USA...ie: inches, feet, pounds, ounces, etc.. metric is millimeter, centimeter, meter, milligram, gram, kilogram, etc.)

They both work. Pick which one is easier for you.
Excellent point, hadn't though of it that way before..thank you.

Excellent point, hadn't though of it that way before..thank you.
My buddy prefers Mil as he says it is easier to calculate mental math with mil since you're generally using intervals of 10/100/1000 rather than imperials 12inches to a foot, 3 feet per yard, etc.. vs 10mm in 1cm, 100cm in 1m, etc.

Our system can get confusing fast where metric does tend to keep things a bit simpler.

Personally I prefer BDC reticles that have wind holds moving holds, ranging tools, and predetermined drop markings for distances all on the glass for the specific caliber you bought the scope for. That's just my preference cause I can't be bothered to do mental math when I'm shooting. :cool:

I think once you have learned one, the other becomes foreign.

Like trying to learn a second language.

I know how MIL works on paper, in the field, I'm useless with it. I've stuck with MOA/MOA as I learned in MOA.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews