JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few, like me, have obviously female handles, but most dont.
That's a social construct!! :s0118:

IMG_1401.jpeg

Psst…. I know what you meant. :D

Last Edited:
My dog eats elk droppings . no other kind ever . he is on it like he found gold and is picky enough he wont eat some human food.
any ideas Why ?
@SUPER X -- I looked around on the internet and didn't find anything definitive. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that its pretty common for wild canines to eat herbivore droppings, but not carnivore feces. Baby ruminants eat fresh droppings from their species during the period when they start eating plant food instead of just milk. They need to in order to introduce the bacteria their species needs for food digestion in their rumen. Maybe some of those bacteria are useful in the canine digestive system as well. In addition there may be useful vitamins in the pellets. Apparently livestock guardian dogs routinely eat poop from their livestock. Owners mostly seem to think the dogs get serious amounts of nutritional value from the practice. Many commercial dog foods are lacking in certain vitamins and in fiber. Fresh ruminant pellets are likely to have both.

Ruminants are known to alter their diets and eat medicinal plants in order to deal with diseases and internal parasites. Elk are known to eat some kinds of trees and plants not commonly eaten by deer. Maybe the elk are better at self-medicating than most ruminants. And if so, maybe some of the medicine is excreted into the pellets and your dog eats the elk pellets to self medicate. Deer pellets may contain more parasites that can be spread to people or dogs than elk pellets.

Or it just may be taste or odor. All the different kinds of feces smell different depending on species and what it was eating. If I were going to be required to eat some ruminant feces, I think I'd go for the elk first. Elk pellets look neat and big and dry and sorta edible. And don't smell bad to me like cow feces do.

@SUPER X -- I looked around on the internet and didn't find anything definitive. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that its pretty common for wild canines to eat herbivore droppings, but not carnivore feces. Baby ruminants eat fresh droppings from their species during the period when they start eating plant food instead of just milk. They need to in order to introduce the bacteria their species needs for food digestion in their rumen. Maybe some of those bacteria are useful in the canine digestive system as well. In addition there may be useful vitamins in the pellets. Apparently livestock guardian dogs routinely eat poop from their livestock. Owners mostly seem to think the dogs get serious amounts of nutritional value from the practice. Many commercial dog foods are lacking in certain vitamins and in fiber. Fresh ruminant pellets are likely to have both.

Ruminants are known to alter their diets and eat medicinal plants in order to deal with diseases and internal parasites. Elk are known to eat some kinds of trees and plants not commonly eaten by deer. Maybe the elk are better at self-medicating than most ruminants. And if so, maybe some of the medicine is excreted into the pellets and your dog eats the elk pellets to self medicate. Deer pellets may contain more parasites that can be spread to people or dogs than elk pellets.

Or it just may be taste or odor. All the different kinds of feces smell different depending on species and what it was eating. If I were going to be required to eat some ruminant feces, I think I'd go for the elk first. Elk pellets look neat and big and dry and sorta edible. And don't smell bad to me like cow feces do.
Thank you
A couple of the things you mentioned Hit the nail on the head , with the diet of the elk in my area and the Digestive system of my best friend . He often turns his nose up to fast food And eats Elk Poop , At least he knows what Country of Origin his snacks are coming from .

Thank you
A couple of the things you mentioned Hit the nail on the head , with the diet of the elk in my area and the Digestive system of my best friend . He often turns his nose up to fast food And eats Elk Poop , At least he knows what Country of Origin his snacks are coming from .
My little guy would snarf up goose poo like candy.

My little guy would snarf up goose poo like candy.
Its very common for dogs to relish goose poo. Goose owners often comment that it is impossible to keep their dogs from eating goose poo, even though their dogs don't eat chicken or duck poo. I figure the dogs probably know what they are doing, and all the goose poo my dog wanted was one of the fringe benefits she deserved for helping protect the geese.

Geese are straight herbivores. Ducks and chickens are omnivores. Omnivores and carnivores are apparently more likely to have parasites and disease-causing bacteria in their meat and poo than herbivores. (This is why we may delight in a medium rare beef steak or lamb chop but cook pork chops to well done.) Geese poo is full of fibers from their diet of grass and other plants. And probably vitamins. Maybe useful bacteria. And finely ground up rock including limestone and oystershell that is ground down from the rock/shell geese eat and use in their gizzards to grind their food, probably a good source of minerals including calcium. Ducks and chickens have gizzards and gizzards stones too, and their poo is probably equally nutritious. But more likely to transmit parasites and disease.

Last Edited:
I figure the dogs probably know what they are doing, and all the goose poo my dog wanted was one of the fringe benefits she deserved for helping protect the geese.
I don't know about that? You don't have to watch too many episodes of Dr. Pol, or some of the other vet shows. Granted there could be some mental issues for the dog in their home environment.
I remember an acquaintance years ago that had a dog and a cat. I recall that acquaintance not needing to clean the cat box as often as he should have.

A pair of dogs I had, when I would visit the farm where my horse boarded, one dog ate horse puckey, the other cow pies, exclusively.
My recently deceased dachsador *loved* rolling in goose droppings.
All of my dogs, past and present, *love* kitty Tootsie rolls. They'd go find a snack and then come over and breathe on me while I'm reading....

I don't know about that? You don't have to watch too many episodes of Dr. Pol, or some of the other vet shows. Granted there could be some mental issues for the dog in their home environment.
I remember an acquaintance years ago that had a dog and a cat. I recall that acquaintance not needing to clean the cat box as often as he should have.
I had the opposite problem with a dog and cat box when we were living in Minnesota. It was my chow-cross pup's first winter, and the first day it dropped below -40 degrees she ran out into the back yard to relieve herself but turned around when she was barely off the porch, ran right back on the porch, and looked at me demandingly with an expression that clearly meant "I don't need to go that bad." So I let her back in. I offered her chances to go out later, but she wasnt interested. How long could she hold out? Turned out to be quite a while. Turned out she had apparently decided if it was below -40 outside, a dog could use the cat litter box. Only cat litter boxes really aren't designed to handle the excrement of 50 lb. dogs....

I had the opposite problem with a dog and cat box when we were living in Minnesota. It was my chow-cross pup's first winter, and the first day it dropped below -40 degrees she ran out into the back yard to relieve herself but turned around
I thought for a second that your Chow-pup turned around and scarfed up it's own, warm..... You know?
I had a 6 month, or so old, stray, rotty mix dog, that just showed up at the house that did that one morning as I was watching her out the kitchen window.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews