JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Story from my Dad.

It is 1944 my dad has enlisted in the Navy - better chow. He is a naval aviator - training to fly on a PB4Y (Navy B-24 - with single tail) as a bombardier. This one.
BvmtSIvu0QfDIvq1hzKxe77yY-gcfxt9aSKic=w912-h464-no.jpg

In training, they lined up all the guys for turns on the machine gun, and had a go at a towed behind target. One day my dad drew first shooter. Yea, the target wont be all shot up etc.
He missed the target. He got the tow rope. Training over and as you might guess, unpleasantness from the instructors.

He never made it overseas. VE happened while he was training, so they sent him to California. Then VJ happened. As he was junior, in shorter time than other guys, they kept him to recover the ships returning from the pacific.

I was not in the military, but once I visited Edwards Air Force Base for work, and a pretty funny story happened. The week before I was changing apartments and as I cleaned out my stuff I found a couple of unopened rubbers in the medicine cabinet. Being a frugal person, I casually put them in my pocket to be filed away later. When I went through security at Edwards I was wearing the same pants and the buzzer went off repeatedly, so they had to frisk me. The Sergeant asked me to empty my pockets and when he saw the rubbers he doubled over laughing. I think it was 3-4 guys, they were all red in the face laughing. And he shouts at me, "ARE YOU TRYING TO GET LUCKY HERE SON?!!!" Boy, they just got a real kick out of it. They let me go on my way and asked to bring them some beers on my way out. For what it's worth, I did not see beers anywhere on the base.

While stationed at Subase Pearl, at the AUW (Advanced Underseas Weapons shop), I worked on guidance systems for things like Mk 48 and Mk 45 torpedoes and such. (HINT: You only have to get close with a Mk 45.) Submariners are a psychotic lot. You spend a 90 day patrol cooped up with a few dozen other sailors and some nuclear devices in a long piece of sewer pipe that glows in the dark. When these guys finally rotate to a shore station they have a chance to release a little pent up anxiety and boredom. The result is a situation a lot like the one portrayed in the movie "M*A*S*H. Copious amounts of dark humor, liquor, and marginally deadly pranks are necessary for survival and sanity.

So our CO at the AUW shop had been a Warrant Officer, but got advanced (thanks to our sweat, smarts, and lack of sleep) to Ensign. To celebrate the fact that he was now a real officer, he threw a party for all of the big brass on base. The party was in the main work bay of the AUW shop, which those of us who had the duty that day had the honor of making ready and decorating for the party. They were serving 25 year old champagne and smoked salmon, along with other nearly forgotten delicacies. I, however, was relegated to my small space where I calibrated and repaired guidance system test equipment for the weapons techs. One of the features of that space was that it included the amplifier for the shop PA system.

Our CO came into my shop as the party was getting underway and requested some music on the PA system. I replied that it would be no problem. I quickly wired up a portable radio to the PA system and put on an easy listening radio station suitable for senior officers. The result was much like the ubiquitous camp sound system in the movie M*A*S*H.

It wasn't long before I got another visit from the CO. This music was too boring and snooze inducing. Put on something more lively, some rock and roll. I'm not sure that he was aware that there were two kinds of rock and roll in those days. There was Chuck Berry's "Maybelline", and there was other, darker, more sinister music under that banner.

Always ready to snap to and please my CO I dialed the radio over to KPOI. Now, KPOI was one of the very first FM rock stations, and this was hard on the heels of Woodstock. KPOI did NOT play the top 40. I'm not sure what the DJs smoked while at work, but they often fell asleep during songs. One of their favorites was the 13 minute version of "Light My Fire" because they could go out for a smoke (and sometimes forget to come back). Anyway, after tuning in to KPOI I picked up the phone and called the studio with a request. I asked if they could play Jimi Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner". When Jimi struck those first few notes on his guitar the party goers didn't know whether to salute or shoot somebody. I pleaded stupidity and got off with a tongue lashing. But I was the covert shop hero for a few months.;)

Retired military in 1997 then worked for DoD/USMC, deploying 3 times a year on Navy warships, a month at a time. I could normally check personal email from my own laptop, but on some ships I had to use military computers in USMC offices.

In that scenario, I sat patiently reading a book while the Corporal on duty played Frogger over and over again on the only (USMC) computer. Finally, I introduced myself (long hair and beard), flipped him some Govt ID and asked if I could log on for a few minutes, check my mail and split. He silently gawked at me like I had a third eye and grudgingly slid his chair 10-12" to the left so I could awkwardly reach the stationary keyboard if I sort of leaned across him. Whatever... I found it amusing.

But the funny part actually started a couple days before that, when I had emailed my cousin here in Oregon. "Hey Cuz, I'm taking leave to come see the folks when I get back to the US. Let's go catch some live music and pound a few beers. BTW, you probably heard I'm divorcing whatsherface. Now I have to hit the gym and lose 5 lb of gut to impress the chicks!"

Back to present, with a fuming Corporal staring at the same monitor I am... the response from my cousin:

"Hey [Teflon], yeah, it'll be great to hook up. Let me know when you're coming.
Love Dave
PS, I can't wait to see your sexy new body!"

Last Edited:
Until I came around and spent some time working with my Father-in-law my Bride didn't know that he had been hit by three .50BMG rounds and had lost a lung! I had spent my time in SE Asia in the Army, so we had a bit in common, so he was willing to talk a little. He was a Civilian working for the International Red Cross. He ended up in a Concentration Camp but choose to leave before his "Reservation" was up. Three left the Camp, leaving one Guard, no longer "Active". The Three started out but only Two of them made it across the North Atlanta in a Row Boat.

He never made it overseas. VE happened while he was training, so they sent him to California. Then VJ happened. As he was junior, in shorter time than other guys, they kept him to recover the ships returning from the pacific.
That same happened to my dad, but he had demonstrated that he was an awesome football player, so many base commanders wanted him on their team. He got to pick his stations - thus spent time in Bavaria, frequently skiing in Austria and Switzerland, and great stories from that.
Still, being a soldier, they had regular indoctrination films, many of them warning of the perils of venereal disease.
After discharging, back in the states, he is watching a movie with a date, and the star of the movie is the actor who played the doctor in all the VD films. He blurts out, "Oh hey - it's the VD doctor!" His date slid away, and gave him the cold shoulder for the remainder of the evening.

My Father-in-law was in the Navy on ship during the Vietnam War, but was "lent" to the Marines to work on their electronics at Da Nang in 1971-72. He also worked on the antennas on Monkey Mountain. I am trying to verify this story he told us:

"A Marine F8 took off w/o clearance, Pilot pulled running gear too soon and dragged belly along runway tearing open fuel tanks-- burst into tail flame from fuel and exhaust from jet engine-- climbed to 200-300 feet and pilot punched out-- but he was not strapped in and apparently no safety chute-- he separated from seat and did a splat on runway-- plane climbed on out w/o him for a bit then nose dived into land beyond the barrier pile at end of runway--- I had borrowed 8mm movie camera from Curly-- but MPs in a jeep came screaming down runway and confiscated my film--- I checked on my return flight after week in Subic.. they showed me the film but wouldn't give me a copy!!"

Anyone hear or read about a Marine F8 Crusader crashing on takeoff at the Da Nang in 1971-72?

Another story from the beach bum Irishman. How much truth, I can't say but still...

In the late 50's he was in the British army stationed in Berlin. His unit was assigned as rotating guards to some jointly controlled facility in the city with Brits, French, American and Russian troops each taking guard duty for a month at a time.

His detachment were still issued the Lee-Enfield, as the FAL was just coming into the supply system. The Russians however, had this brand new automatic rifle called the AK-47. Oh, the buzz made it into device of fabled magic and looked so cool...

One evening, just after the Russians had taken over for the Brits, our hero and his buddies were about town and partaking in the local grog. The conversation went something like this:

"I wonder it the Ruskies get live ammo for those new burp guns?"
"Of course not. They don't even trust us with loaded weapons."
"Bet they do keep those things loaded."
"You're daft. They don't."
"Let's find out...."

So, feeling no pain, the revelers proceeded to find a stray cat. They snuck over to one of the more secluded guard posts and got into position with barely controlled snickering. At the signal, one of the pranksters threw the hapless cat onto the back of the patrolling Russian and ducked...

Bbbbuuuuuurrrrrrrpppppppp!!!!

They took a very brief moment to look at each other. Holy bubblegum, they do have live ammo! They quickly slipped away in the chaos and agreed never the speak a word to anyone...

I volunteered for Vietnam three times so I could be more involved, but never received orders so I was in the rear with the gear.
It was worth it and I'd do it again, but I'd join the Marines. Those guys are always into something.

Later, did you start believing in Guardian Angels? :);)

It was a mixed blessing indeed.
Of all the expressions that cling on,
1 that sticks with all Vets is;
Hurry Up AND Wait.

Seems like most everybody Swore that they were Forever done w THAT Sxxxz.
I know I have not gone to places or events
for that very reason.

But there Was that 1 place that would cause me to Wait a Lifetime....

Lots of memories stirred up.
:);):(:confused::mad::confused::D:s0104:

I had a pretty quiet thirty-three years all but ten days. Spent some time in Northern Ireland when it was nasty, and some time in the British Military Mission (BRIXMIS) which could be classed as fairly exciting at times.

Apart from that, nothing really adventurous like you guys. Was never a grunt of any kind, not even regimental. The part of the Army that I was in doesn't go in for parades and such-like stuff.

I had a pretty quiet thirty-three years all but ten days. Spent some time in Northern Ireland when it was nasty, and some time in the British Military Mission (BRIXMIS) which could be classed as fairly exciting at times.

Apart from that, nothing really adventurous like you guys. Was never a grunt of any kind, not even regimental. The part of the Army that I was in doesn't go in for parades and such-like stuff.

We served. Made the choice few of our fellow citizens make. That in of itself is notable.

I had the privilege of having the official position as Veterans Outreach Coordinator for Oregon and Washington for the Fortune 100 company I worked for. It really gave me a chance to reset my mind set on my time in the service.

Not a lot of direct involvement that I can share, but here's a look at what life was like...

Found this when moving my office at home.
We've been in port for 9 days, I have duty...The war has been over for three days now. We'll be out here touring the Med for a while. I'm sure that by the time we make it for Home Port, the celebrations will be over by then. We'll have to do our celebrations on our own. The crew can handle that, we've gotten along very well, we all look out for each other for the most part.

At least they like Americans here, even in Corsica, France - the next island over. The French actually treat us well, which is contrary to the normal reputation the Frogs have. Yesterday, Keith Langlois, TJ Prout and I caught the ferry over to Corsica. We got to see the home of Napoleon, I think he was the last real fighting man produced in France. We did a lot of walking and ate some good food.

Tatay (my dad) says that there are a lot of things to see and do here in the Med. I used to think that he had a certain cologne that he wore when I was a kid. He'd come home from deployment and I knew him by smell. It wasn't until we started living on the boat and completed the refit in the shipyard that I realized that his "cologne" was the distinct smell of a Submariner. That first time I did laundry after the shakedown cruise, reminded me of him. He told me to do my job right and stick with the crew, we would take care of each other. I wonder what test depth is for a diesel boat...

It's hard to believe that it's only been a year since I got my Dolphins in Rosy Roads, March 2. It seems so long ago, I still remember the ships picnic that we had to celebrate all us non-quals finally getting enough time on the pond. So much has happened since then. How much difference a year makes... ORSE... Predeployment work up... Coastal patrol... trip to St. Thomas, St. Croix, Ft Lauderdale.. finally getting my own rack... in port for the weekend out to sea for the week...ETMS School in my home town, Charleston, SC... trip to New London, Conn. I'm glad that Tatay understands what I'm going through. Thank you Lord for a short war, I miss home.

[March 2, 1990 - I have duty... Received my Silver Dolphins, the Ships Picnic afterward was neat. Cooking on the pier, we've got the best Mess Cooks period.]
[March 3, 1990 - Day After, we're so out of here. Got invited to go into San Juan with Bob Wolfgang, Joel Hedlund, Fred Meyers (my Nuke School instructor... that's funny) Chris Batz and Kris Imgrund. We all piled into Bill Shew's rented Suzuki Swift. We headed into Old San Juan to the Castillo De La San Cristoballe and Castillo El Morro. It's a neat place, reminds me of the forts in Florida and South Carolina, which makes sense because they were built in about the same time period. Took some good pictures(have to find the album and upload them.) That night Chris and I went to meet the guys at a dance club called Neons in Old San Juan. Chris couldn't get in because he was wearing shorts, went back and he changed clothes. By the time we make it back to the club it's past 11pm and we have to pay $10 cover, they give us three drink tickets so it evened out.]

1990 something, woke up to a recall around 0300 our longrange surveillance company was flown out to assist protecting AREA 5#... ( ya that place) full battle rattle extra ammo and security briefs from hell..
We had perimeter security and a couple of outter grouped wherhoused complexes.
So my buddy was out with two squads securing one of the warehouses complexes, and after the second day (110 degrees heat) started to notice a horrible deathly smell. He called it in voiced his concern, they told him to continue on and disregard...
On the 4th day smell had gotten even worse, one of the teams noticed a orange gooey substance leaking out of the warehouses doors.. my buddy immediately had his guys don promasks and evac to a hill upwind 200 meters away and called for a hazmat team and evac...
Higher directed him to take their mask off and resume security of the area, he refused till higher after a couple hours sent a maintenance team to the area.
My buddy went in with the "civilian" team ( with his mask on and his team 200 meters away) to the scene of the orange goo.
The civilians laughing and making fun of my buddy open the doors to revile that the refrigerated warehouses that we were guarding were full of pallets of government cheese that had melted......
Sometimes was up with the electric grids and had lost power for a couple of weeks...
Good times, well worth our time and use of assets.....
Ah, the old melted cheese cover story. Yeah, right. More like melted alien protoplasm. LOL

I was drafted in Dec 1965. I was married and out of college. I went to Fort Ord for basic and then Advanced Infantry Training. At this point I knew where I was headed. I was not enthusiastic about it. I faked sick and went down to the main post and re-enlisted for an Army school. I was given microwave/tropospheric propagation and crypto. Figured I was safe. Spent over a year at Ft Monmouth learning all this. Found myself in beautiful SE Asia anyway. I grew up in a small agricultural community and was politically naive. I was stupid once I got "In the Green." We went around setting up communications ( limited microwave shots) for Rangers and other groups that needed it. I was fuc*ed up for some time after I got out. Some people in San Fran tried to spit on me and yelled many things my way. I didn't understand the things I saw. It screwed up two marriages or perhaps it was just me. I don't know. I try not to use crutches (excuses) for the things that go wrong. And then I met her. She changed my life. Two beautiful daughters, a wealth of friends and I'm now looking at retiring at 78. I've written most of it down (over 280 pages so far) and I'll see that it's passed on after I do.

Dec 31, 1965 I was at my Brother's house in SE Portland getting ready to celebrate the New Year..
Even had images in my mind of a couple of chicks that were there.
The Phone rings, it's my Father.
He was a WWII Vet from the ETO. He ran the Crypto Plt in the 563rd Sig Co, 63RD ID.
Signal Corps, trained at Ft Monmouth in 1943.:)

So I Says "Whaasssup Pops? Happy New Year."
"Well, you too..... [pause....] Well, this letter came in the mail today. Want me to open it?"
"Uh..."
"The Sons a Blitches don't even have the COMMON DECENCY to say
GREETINGS FROM THE PRESIDENT. YOU ARE HEREBY HONORED TO SERVE...."
"Just You are hereby ordered to report for preinduction blah blah bah...."

Monday I went down to Portland State but couldn't afford the out of state tuition, so PCC was next door.
I stalled and delayed and lived on coffee , cigarettes, wine, beer, all night Poker,
etc hoping to be a big enuf Failure to NOT
have to go to an exotic land w/ leaches and diseases they didn't know existed,
and shoot people, or get shot. Not appealing at all.

Now I was no different than anybody else at the top tier of the WWII Baby Boomers..
Our Dads had all Been There Done that. Seen that Fn Elephant....
I had grown up like most of my Buds having that Male Thingy abt being a War Hero,
maybe 3 bullet holes, nothing really damaged, but the chicks would, uh well, ....;)

But the Problem w/ this War/ Non War was that it was based on
ALL LIES, DECEIT, POLITICS, ETC...

Which ALL = EVIL INTENT.

I was still 18, they just needed more bodies so more body bags could be purchased.
When Lyndon Baines Johnson came on TV w/ his Mah Fello Mericans, lie lie lie...etc...!!
I knew he was Lying. That was 5 or 6 Aug 1964.

The following Spring I found out from a classmate a year older than I that had Witnessed
theTonkin Gulf Attack.
He was on Deck Watch "THAT NIGHT" and told of how they had Shot the Shyte out of the water,
killed a lot of fish, but before morning
"EVERYBODY ON BOARD SHIP KNEW NO ATTACK HAPPENED."
That was late evening of 4 Aug 1964... event #2.
Event #1 was 2 Aug Sunday afternoon when the Ticonderoga had 4 Crusaders flying
training a Newbie pilot and their "Skipper" was called in before for an Improptu Intelligence Briefing.
He later stated that the Only thing of note was that
"The USS Maddox would be steaming up the NV Coast."
So What...???o_O

While in the air they were ordered to got to Her Aid. When they got there the Maddox was going 1 way,
the NV Torpedo boats were headed opposite, so they shot up the small boats.
US Radio Traffic was recorded by the NVA and later IT was used by Rbt STRANGE McNamara to
sustain the Aug 4 NO ATTACK... LIES upon MORE LIES...
All this can be found in "IN LOVE AND WAR " by Jim and Sybil Stockdale.
That's JAMES BOND Stockdale, CALL SIGN "007" ;) [can't make this stuff up]

So I was able to stall the process till the end of summer. I figured if I HAD to go in,
I might as well do something fun, like fly Choppers...:):):confused::cool:
The Army had its way, and I needed to meet before a Board of A.R. Officers to get the final OK,
but they only did this 2 times a year. [perfect Army logic].
So the Recruiter told me I had to join or get drafted, and the 4th ID was up at Ft Lewis getting ready
to go to Viet Fn Nam....:oops:
He said I could sign up for OCS and then go to Flight School and being an Officer they couldn't harass me.:eek: More Lies.
And that I could get it all done and still be out after 3 yrs. LIES LIES....
5 1/2 yrs and probly 2 tours across the pond, if lucky.

So I enlisted 28 OCT 1966. Ft Lewis basic. 2 wks in All trainees were at the parade field for some reason,
and while I was watching a Huey landing and getting wood, my hunting buddy walked up. He had been drafted 6 weeks ahead of me. He said "Did you hear abt Lowell Schultz?"
He was a nice guy a yr older. I didn't even know he was in country.
"Huh? No." "He got Zapped. Stitched him across the chest.
Yea man, it's true The're shootin real bullets over there."
THE WALL OF FACES - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund

Ft "Lost in the Woods" Mo fer Field Wireman School AIT.
Learned abt Cold Weather, Army Towns w/ too many jewelry stores....
and Got to Climb Telephone Poles w/ Gear...and I had to re apply for OCS since they didn't trust "Trainees" to personnally carry their papers n orders, so the US ARMY lost them for me.
Also I witnessed the 1st Real incident of Unmitigated Racism, but that is a Happy Ending story
for another time;) [The Oppressed guy won, the uppity middle class NGs lost.] :):)

That delay put me into a "Hold Over Co." All 20 of us waiting for Class Dates for OCS.
I was there for 6 weeks assigned to the Supply Room. The XO was a Butter bar who had finished
a 6 yr hitch getting to SSG E6 Supply Sgt, then OCS.
He was married, lived on Post w/ wife n kids, and abt every other day would load the big 20 gal Milk Containers into the back of his Station Wagon. :) In the back room he had abt 6 Matress Covers stuffed full of Wool OGs, a Highly marketable commodity fer trading. And Lots of Cans of Coffee.
13 Lawnmowers issued to the unit, 3 in the store room, no grass to mow anywhere.....

I got to go on a clean up detail. Seemed that the CG liked horses, so I got to go shovel horse pucky for an afternoon. There was a Spc4 there kinda running this. He was from a Ky Race Horse family.
He was perfect to take care of the Geneal's horses.:)

I saw the CO, a short ROTC Butter Bar who thought mucho abt his position, and his Bulbos Red nosed Lifer 1st Sgt, an E6. Saw them together on 2 occassions [when they spent 15 minutes looking around]
in a 6 week time frame.

The Co Clerk had an MBA, having joined w a few buddies under the College Grad Special OCS program; Guaranteed OCS and if you didn't complete it you still got out w/ in 2 yrs.....
and if you were lucky enuf to get delayed somehow, NO RVN.... ;)

Well, he was the only one left and he made out the Morning Report,
which normally is the Pet of the Co 1st Sgt.
Where were his Buddies?
Living Off Post w/ their wives and full time jobs.:rolleyes: subsidized by Unca Sam.;)

After that I left for Ft Knox where I was to learn that
"ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED ARMORED CAVALRY"
71263b022ecda340d02a4ae951a3f927.jpg

Methinks I yak too much...:oops:

Fearless Fred comes to mind;
THE WALL OF FACES - Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
Information on FLURRY JAMES DURWARD

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR